Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2014 5:35:11 AM EDT

I'm looking at buying a car from another state, New Jersey.   I plan to have a professional look over the car and then look at it myself.    

Do I negotiate price before or after I go look at the car?  I should have a good idea on the cost from the appraisal I get.

How do you deal with the lien and any possible extra payment to the owner?  (Probably the biggest hassle.)

When driving it back, what license tags?  Can you get temporary tags from VA DMV before you purchase the vehicle?  

Anyone have any experience doing this?

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 5:56:09 AM EDT
[#1]
The Price Negotiation is on you, I hope you score a Good Deal.

As far as the lien goes, if you decide on a price, and ready to buy.  Then you both Go to the Bank Branch that holds the lien.
Let say you are buying a car for $10K, he still owes $8k.  In this case You can write 2 Checks, one to the bank, and one to Him $8k and $2k Respectively.  Then he will have to send you the title once received.
Or
You Write him a Check for $10k, He Deals with Bank, then Sends you the Title when he gets it.
Regardless, you will not be able to get the title Directly from bank.
To Protect yourself, have the bill of sale notarized at his bank.

As far as Transporting, You can go online to DMV website, and purchase a "Trip plate" I think cost is about $8, you buy online, and print it.
It will allow you to drive a vehicle from one location to your home.  Good For one Trip (just tape it to the back window)

Then after you get the title, you can register it.  (If you were buying from a Dealer in NJ, they could issue you temp tags)

Good luck with your purchase!
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 6:17:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Without specifics, we'll just assume it's a lime green Gremlin.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 6:57:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Do I negotiate price before or after I go look at the car?  
View Quote

Serious?

If you negotiate before, and then go look at the car and find out it is missing the engine/tranny, then what? Same price?

In other words, if you negotiate price before you see car, seller is going to expect you to hold to it regardless of what you see later.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 6:59:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How do you deal with the lien and any possible extra payment to the owner?  (Probably the biggest hassle.)
View Quote

The one time I bought a car with a lien we did the entire transaction at the bank that held the lien and they signed off on the title right there. So I walked way with a clean title.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 7:05:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Make sure you have them check for rust/corrosion under the car.  Being a ex-yankee, I can tell you that cars from that area are subjected to quite a bit more salt/sand than down here.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 7:16:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Serious?

If you negotiate before, and then go look at the car and find out it is missing the engine/tranny, then what? Same price?

In other words, if you negotiate price before you see car, seller is going to expect you to hold to it regardless of what you see later.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do I negotiate price before or after I go look at the car?  

Serious?

Professional appraisal should come close.  The owner purchased it a year ago and send me the professional appraisal he received.  

Thanks all.  Good information.

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Does the storm Sandy mean anything? I hope you know a whole lot more about this car and its something special, otherwise I would not event think about it due to possibility you are buying a car that's been flooded during the storm.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Does the storm Sandy mean anything? I hope you know a whole lot more about this car and its something special, otherwise I would not event think about it due to possibility you are buying a car that's been flooded during the storm.
View Quote
Car is outside of Philly. Pretty sure it was safe from Sandy.

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

As far as the lien goes, if you decide on a price, and ready to buy.  Then you both Go to the Bank Branch that holds the lien.
Let say you are buying a car for $10K, he still owes $8k.  In this case You can write 2 Checks, one to the bank, and one to Him $8k and $2k Respectively.  Then he will have to send you the title once received.
Or
You Write him a Check for $10k, He Deals with Bank, then Sends you the Title when he gets it.

As far as Transporting, You can go online to DMV website, and purchase a "Trip plate" I think cost is about $8, you buy online, and print it.
It will allow you to drive a vehicle from one location to your home.  Good For one Trip (just tape it to the back window)

Then after you get the title, you can register it.  (If you were buying from a Dealer in NJ, they could issue you temp tags)

View Quote

This is what you do. I bought my last car in VA from a guy with a lien. The state really doesn't matter, you need to show the VA DMV that the lien has been paid or they won't give you  a full title - wherever the car came from. In my case, I had to wait a few days because his bank did not hold the title at that branch. And they sent it to him. Now I trusted the guy, but it was a bit scary - I had the car, he had the title, if he wanted to it could get messy, if he was a shady character. So I drafted a bill of sale which we both signed and had that notarized. Which is a fairly strong legal document, if it came down to you two going to court, and you had his notarized signature saying he would sell the car to you for X price, that'd stand up pretty well in court.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 4:11:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Just a heads up in case you see a lot of "They better have the title in hand at the bank" comments, New Jersey is an electronic title state.

The bank does not have the title at all. They'll release the lien once it is paid off, and then the title is generated by the DMV and sent out to the owner.

It is possible for the bank to order a paper title to have on hand to sign off to you on the spot, but it ain't happening fast.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 4:25:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I would go up and see the car and negotiate a price before the professional evaluate.  do a contingincy with the owner.

I've done it couple of times, but it was from a dealer.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 8:17:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Or

View Quote

If you buy a vehicle from out of state then unless things have changed, a VA temporary tag won't work.  You need temp tags from the state where you buy the car.

A few years ago I did this in Pa.  Pa DMV issued temp tags and I used those to drive to VA.

The OP should make sure that the title certificate is actually held by a bank in the state where he's buying the car.  The problem I ran into was that the seller was in Pa but he financed it with a bank that held the title certificate in Co.  The bank wanted the payment (from me) with a promise to send me the title a few days later.  That's nuts! Whatever you do, don't buy the car without obtaining the title!  The title is the car.  

You should make it clear that clearing the lien is the seller's responsibility.  

Finally, you need a bill of sale.  VA DMV has a simple one you can download.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top