Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2014 5:12:01 PM EDT
Apparently this is legal in parts of Scott County. Has anybody tried this? It sounds like it'd be a good time with a suppressed 300 Blackout SBR. I'd like to see the face of the examiner when they read the reason on my 5320.20.

6. Shooting with a rifle for suckers and carp from April 15 to May 31 during daylight hours in the shoals of the Clinch River within the limits of Scott County, except that it shall be unlawful to shoot fish on Sunday or within the limits of any town, or from any bridge. Fishing license is required. Creel limit: 20 per day.
View Quote

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/regulations/nongame.asp
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:38:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Isn't as big as it used to be. Has really died out over the last 20 years. I've never personally done it, just watched a lot. Climb a tall tree, watch and shoot.

I knew several people who had it down to a science, specialized guns and loads, etc.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds fun!
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Considering how bullets don't really do much beyond what? 5-7 feet?  Is there a certain sort of fish that you shoot near the surface?  Is it more hitting it with the pressure and knocking it out?
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Considering how bullets don't really do much beyond what? 5-7 feet?  Is there a certain sort of fish that you shoot near the surface?  Is it more hitting it with the pressure and knocking it out?
View Quote

Suckers and carp. At that time of year they are near the surface I believe. I would assume the shockwave does it, though I've never seen it or tried it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Suckers and carp. At that time of year they are near the surface I believe. I would assume the shockwave does it, though I've never seen it or tried it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh, neat.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Shallow water, shoals mostly. FMJ bullet, account for refraction and aim for the head.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Shallow water, shoals mostly. FMJ bullet, account for refraction and aim for the head.
View Quote

Thanks, I assume local LEO won't hassle me?
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I may or may not have used to enjoy shooting gar with a buddy of mine.  There is a slight learning curve, but once you got it, you got it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't think so. County sheriff is former state game warden, so he knows the laws. Can't speak for the deputies though. County game warden can cause trouble at times.

Like I said above, practice started dying out 20 years ago when I lived on the Clinch. I don't know anyone who still does it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I no longer live in the county, don't spend much time there either.

If you're going to try it, there are a few areas around Dungannon where it would be easy to try. Maybe around Clinchport as well.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I wouldn't think so. County sheriff is former state game warden, so he knows the laws. Can't speak for the deputies though. County game warden can cause trouble at times.

Like I said above, practice started dying out 20 years ago when I lived on the Clinch. I don't know anyone who still does it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I no longer live in the county, don't spend much time there either.

If you're going to try it, there are a few areas around Dungannon where it would be easy to try. Maybe around Clinchport as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate the info. I wrote the Sheriff's office a letter but never got a response.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Might not have been answered since it isn't really a matter for the sheriff's office.

May want to call the regional VDGIF office (Marion (276) 783-4860) and ask them to have the Scott Co warden call you. His name is Jason Honaker.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know... sounds pretty difficult. It might be easier if you could put the fish in some sort of large container first. Perhaps something cylindrical.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 4:36:25 AM EDT
[#13]
The folks down there had stands in sycamore trees to shoot suckers.

Hell you can't even shoot fish on Sunday......Any new updates on Sunday hunting?

Link Posted: 2/25/2014 5:03:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, some quite elaborate. When my family bought a farm on the river in the early 80s, the trees along the bank were all converted into ladders. Was quite puzzling to a young boy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I "shoot" fish in my pond all the time. They aren't actually where you think they are under the water, aiming at them is usually a near miss and good enough to stun them.  While rifle cartridges tend to have more energy they don't hold up to water as well.  My fav is 40 for deepest penetration.  FWIW ball 50 BMG only goes about 14" in water.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Would a .22 be suitable for this? I have a buddy who wants to go with me and he'd like to use a suppressed 10/22. I've heard most people used centerfire hunting rifles but I'm curious.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 11:52:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Doubtful.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 10:51:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I used to even see stands built out in the river for shooting fish, but haven't seen one in a few years. Still see a few in the trees along the bank though.  My dad and uncle used to shoot fish with an old SMLE. For some reason they liked the .303 round for it. I think dad even used a 8mm Lebel once.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I used to even see stands built out in the river for shooting fish, but haven't seen one in a few years. Still see a few in the trees along the bank though.  My dad and uncle used to shoot fish with an old SMLE. For some reason they liked the .303 round for it. I think dad even used a 8mm Lebel once.
View Quote

I knew one guy who bought a 458 just for shooting fish. You knew when he was up a tree.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I didn't know it was possible for me to love Virginia any more than I already did.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Hell you can't even shoot fish on Sunday......Any new updates on Sunday hunting?

View Quote

Gov signed it yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Gov signed it yesterday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gov signed it yesterday.

I'm kinda speechless.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok fuck it, I'm getting a fishing license.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top