Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2014 5:53:52 PM EDT
Package to be delivered to Northern VA

February 6, 2014 - Electronic Shipping Info Received
February 11, 2014 , 2:46 am - Processed through USPS Sort Facility - LANCASTER, PA 17604
February 11, 2014 - Depart USPS Sort Facility - LANCASTER, PA 17604
February 12, 2014 , 3:20 pm - Processed through USPS Sort Facility - LANCASTER, PA 17604
February 15, 2014 , 1:21 pm - Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility - JERSEY CITY, NJ 07097
February 15, 2014 - Depart USPS Sort Facility - JERSEY CITY, NJ 07097
February 21, 2014 , 8:09 pm - Processed through USPS Sort Facility - CAPITOL HEIGHTS, MD 20790

Delivery Date - Unknown.

Package needs to go 133 miles.  

Odds that a vinyl record in the hands of the USPS for 2.5 weeks makes it to my door in one piece?
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I've learned that if you don't use priority mail it's not a sure thing you will get it all.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep,  just went through the same thing.  Package from Geissele in PA to be delivered to chesterfield.  They tried for two days to deliver to some address in Charlottesville and said it was undeliverable.  Now it mysteriously is showing up at my local post office to be delivered tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Iv'e got a money order lost in the mail as we speak. Bastards what me to pay them $6 to find out if it was delivered or if they lost it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 4:27:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 4:38:14 AM EDT
[#5]
LT dillo shipped from W. Va to Va took 31 days door to door......enough said.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 5:40:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm sure it will be hard to believe, but the vast majority of the USPS issues, are because of too much government interference.

If Congress had left them alone, I doubt they would be having such huge problems today.
View Quote

This is true.

They are one of my clients.

The Post Master General is actually a very fiscally conservative guy and has testified many times in Congress on changing mail delivery to 3 days and closing under performing post offices.

Congress says no every time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 7:20:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep, we are still receiving RSVP from our wedding that was 3 months ago, we sent them out almost 7 months ago.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Dont use USPS for shipping unless you do the following:
1. Insure your package
2. Pay for the highest priority shipping class so it is trackable AND has a signature

OR

You may sell a guy a $400 SCAR lower and it becomes an $800 part when you have to pay the guy back AND lose your part forever because some damned THIEF working there steals it right before it is placed on a truck for delivery! Ask me how I know! HATE ON THE POSTAL THEFT SERVICE.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I've never had a problem with USPS because I've always used Priority or Express, I don't trust regular mail.

While I usually use the automated machines, I recently discovered that there is a post office in my area that is actually open on Sunday from 9-5, which is pretty cool (though I doubt mail actually moves on Sunday).
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 2:35:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I live 10 miles as the crow flies from the airport where all the packages come in and I had one get sent 70 miles past my house only to go back to the airport.  Then it went the 70 miles again and back to the airport before finally being delivered.  It was sent with another package from the same place on the same day and the one showed up just fine.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dont use USPS for shipping unless you do the following:
1. Insure your package
2. Pay for the highest priority shipping class so it is trackable AND has a signature

OR

You may sell a guy a $400 SCAR lower and it becomes an $800 part when you have to pay the guy back AND lose your part forever because some damned THIEF working there steals it right before it is placed on a truck for delivery! Ask me how I know! HATE ON THE POSTAL THEFT SERVICE.
View Quote

That means nothing, USPS tracking is a joke.

I saw an add on another site for some Sig 239 9mm mags. I agreed to buy them, the guy wanted a USPS MO. I went to the post office and purchased the MO and sent it certified. It took 19 days to go from Va. to Tx. and when I ran the tracking number it told me the MO went from my local post office and was heading to the regional sorting facility. There was no more tracking info until it made it to his house. No scan at my sorting facility, coming or going, no scan showing it made it to Tx. and no scan showing it was out for delivery. Like I said, tracking is a joke.

During this transaction I found out that the PO will not replace or refund your MO until it has been missing for 60 days. No wonder people don't use the USPS.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Local USPS open 24/7 for automated machine.  Usually use priority shipping, seems as good as UPS.  Sometimes hit somethings miss.  Had UPS delivery my Troy rails to someone else, took them 5 days to go get them and ship them to me.

Quoted:
I've never had a problem with USPS because I've always used Priority or Express, I don't trust regular mail.

While I usually use the automated machines, I recently discovered that there is a post office in my area that is actually open on Sunday from 9-5, which is pretty cool (though I doubt mail actually moves on Sunday).
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2014 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I recently had them mark a package as "delivered" the day BEFORE they delivered it! The freaking snow had melted and we didn't even get  a mail delivery that day. At least we got it the next day.

They are a squirrely bunch of characters.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Of course, as soon as I start to complain about the package taking FOREVER to be delivered, it arrives today.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I recently had them mark a package as "delivered" the day BEFORE they delivered it! The freaking snow had melted and we didn't even get  a mail delivery that day. At least we got it the next day.

They are a squirrely bunch of characters.
View Quote
Same here, last Friday. The snow had stopped, the roads were clear, and my sidewalk was shoveled. And of course, Monday was a holiday, so no package until Tuesday. Guess their old motto isn't used anymore.

Link Posted: 2/22/2014 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#16]
In my case they delivered mail Thursday when it was completely crappy out. Friday when it was much nicer and roads melted, No mail, but tracking said it was delivered! Got it Saturday.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 5:11:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm sure it will be hard to believe, but the vast majority of the USPS issues, are because of too much government interference.

If Congress had left them alone, I doubt they would be having such huge problems today.
View Quote

Congress does not have that much to do with it, the vast majority of delivery issues are due to poor practices by the shipper. The package can only go to where it's addressed. Your PO folks aren't mind readers.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 1:19:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Actually, my biggest issue with USPS is that they mostly just deliver the daily shredding/recycling.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 7:01:14 AM EDT
[#20]
I had a Priority Mail box leave the Gainsville, GA Post Office on February 11th.  The next scan was on March 1st in Baltimore, Maryland..WTF?!?!  It went 320 miles NORTH in 17 days when it needed to go West to Nebraska.

At least it looks like it is going to arrive today so that is the miracle I was looking for but I wonder what condition it will be in.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 7:38:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I just checked tracking on a Burris Fastfire pistol mount I ordered from MidwayUSA on 2/23/14.  UPS for some reason handed off the package to local post office for delivery and USPS in their infinite wisdom re-routed the package and it's now somewhere near Nashua, NH.  Since I live in Chesterfield, VA and never been to New Hampshire,  you can understand my lack of amusement:

NASHUA, NH, United States  03/02/2014  7:59 P.M.  Package processed by Post Office  
SHREWSBURY, MA, United States  03/02/2014  2:13 A.M.  Package processed by Post Office  
SANDSTON, VA, United States  02/28/2014  7:06 P.M.  Package processed by Post Office  
CHESTERFIELD, VA, United States  02/28/2014  8:53 A.M.  Package was forwarded to the receiver's address that is on file with the local post office.  
02/28/2014  8:25 A.M.  Package routed to wrong local post office. Package will be transferred to correct post office for delivery.  
RICHMOND, VA, United States  02/26/2014  3:45 P.M.  Package transferred to local post office  
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA, United States  02/26/2014  10:58 A.M.  Electronic Shipment Information Received for Package by Post Office  
Durham, NC, United States  02/26/2014  10:16 A.M.  Postage Paid/Ready for destination post office entry  
02/26/2014  4:30 A.M.  Package received for sort by destination UPS Mail Innovations facility  
Kansas City, MO, United States  02/25/2014  3:38 A.M.  Package transferred to destination UPS Mail Innovations facility  
02/25/2014  12:17 A.M.  Package processed by UPS Mail Innovations origin facility  
Kansas City, MO, United States  02/24/2014  12:00 A.M.  Package received for processing by UPS Mail Innovations  

Ron S.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 7:50:34 AM EDT
[#22]
At least the mount is making great time on the way to NH.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 8:42:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Just use UPS or FedEx Ground.
They actually scan stuff every time it goes on or off a truck (in our out of a facility).
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I ordered a Aimpoint PRO from Midway last night and I paid the extra $5.85 to keep it out of USPS hands.  Free was UPS to USPS for delivery.  Had an UPS package come from Brownells UPS, hit USPS at 1140 on Friday, did not see it till Tuesday.  Called my post office to see if it was on a truck or tracked....the lady told me packages come from UPS and go into a big bin until they get around to sorting it.....  She blamed it on lazy UPS carriers.  Spoke to Brownells and they said it was the cheapest shipping, next was USPS priority.

M2C, either stick with USPS Priority or UPS but screw the hybrid hand off BS.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#25]
One thing the USPS has gotten right is Priority Mail shipping.  I live in Arlington but will often drive to the Merrifield sort facility to drop off my packages.  The trucks go from there straight to the airport.  I have dropped off a Priority Mail flat rate box before closing on Saturday at the Merrifield sort facility, and my sister has received it on Monday in Los Angeles.  I would rather drop off my packages there on the way home from work rather than a local satellite post office.  They used to open late, but in the last year or so trimmed their operating hours.  As for regular mail, well, I still get my neighbor's mail at home at least once a week, and have to walk it over to their house.

If you think USPS is bad, try using FedEx Ground and putting your package in the hands of those indifferent independent contractors.  FedEx really tarnished their brand in my eyes by setting up their Ground service the way they did.  After several instances of receiving tracking updates stating, "customer not home," or "address not found," and ultimately having to pick up my own package at some unmarked industrial warehouse space, I will never use FedEx Ground again.  In this age of GPS and Google Maps, to give an update of "address not found" just means you are incompetent, or just don't give a damn.  I will bypass a vendor and buy from somewhere else if the cheapest shipping option they give me is FedEx Ground.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Concur concerning FEDEX Ground.  I will cancel equipment orders if they use FEDEX Ground.

Quoted:
One thing the USPS has gotten right is Priority Mail shipping.  I live in Arlington but will often drive to the Merrifield sort facility to drop off my packages.  The trucks go from there straight to the airport.  I have dropped off a Priority Mail flat rate box before closing on Saturday at the Merrifield sort facility, and my sister has received it on Monday in Los Angeles.  I would rather drop off my packages there on the way home from work rather than a local satellite post office.  They used to open late, but in the last year or so trimmed their operating hours.  As for regular mail, well, I still get my neighbor's mail at home at least once a week, and have to walk it over to their house.

If you think USPS is bad, try using FedEx Ground and putting your package in the hands of those indifferent independent contractors.  FedEx really tarnished their brand in my eyes by setting up their Ground service the way they did.  After several instances of receiving tracking updates stating, "customer not home," or "address not found," and ultimately having to pick up my own package at some unmarked industrial warehouse space, I will never use FedEx Ground again.  In this age of GPS and Google Maps, to give an update of "address not found" just means you are incompetent, or just don't give a damn.  I will bypass a vendor and buy from somewhere else if the cheapest shipping option they give me is FedEx Ground.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yep,  just went through the same thing.  Package from Geissele in PA to be delivered to chesterfield.  They tried for two days to deliver to some address in Charlottesville and said it was undeliverable.  Now it mysteriously is showing up at my local post office to be delivered tomorrow.
View Quote

hello neighbor,

I've mailed thousands of packages, mostly USPS  (well actually maybe 1900 or so)  
only lost 1,  one returned damaged, and several late, ,

overall a good record,

no idea how many I have received w/o issue,  a few magazine/periodicals torn up,  a few late, not many,

Link Posted: 3/6/2014 5:31:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Dude my last 3 packages have done that crap. Up until recently EVERYTHING went from Origin > Dulles > my local post office.

Now everything takes fucking trips around the god damn coast.

Check this one out.

http://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/processRequest?HTMLVersion=5.0&Requester=NES&AgreeToTermsAndConditions=yes&loc=en_US&tracknum=92748999984637513000213458

And thats through UPS with that stupid shit where they hand off to the post office. As you can see they handed it off to the USPS in DULLES, WHERE IT SHOULD IMMEDIATELY COME TO MY POST OFFICE. Instead it goes to fucking PA and NJ. I live 50 miles from fucking dulles.

also check this one out.

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction!execute.action?formattedLabel=9114901159815870718937

2 day priority over a week late.

Even priority has been shit lately.

As you can see I'm getting quite fed up with it.

Seriously up until this year I was a proponent of how good priority mail was. I'd get a package from ANYWHERE in the continental US in 2 business days. Period. Years went by and it was perfect. Since Jan of this year? I haven't gotten a single thing on time.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top