Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 5:56:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Question: The 20th is a holiday. Will the building be open on a holiday? Also, do we expect there to be staff/legislators there to meet with that day?
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
+1  

Don't give the anti-group ANY ammunition, however trivial or petty.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How should we dress. I know it's a weird question but appearance means a lot when we need to be professional.
Would jeans and a nice sweater be ok?

I'll quote the VA-Alert:

"I recommend business casual dress to give a professional image to the group, but it is not a requirement by any means. "

Jeans and sweater are fine.

Khaki's, sweater and a business jacket would be even better, imo.
+1  

Don't give the anti-group ANY ammunition, however trivial or petty.

Yeah, there were guys last year who looked like they'd just rolled out of the deer stand. It just doesn't look professional.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Question: The 20th is a holiday. Will the building be open on a holiday? Also, do we expect there to be staff/legislators there to meet with that day?
View Quote

The building is open and the legislators will all be there.

So will we.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Two things...
1 still working on getting the day off.
2 bump back to page 1
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, time to get this thing rolling.  I will be headed out of Alexandria, can take a few with me (a Suburban - it's not the Battle Van™, but it'll do).
Anyone need a ride?
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Got the day off

I will be leaving from the Winchester area. 2 door hatchback can sit 4 adults. It's tuff to get in and out of from the back seat but doable.

Link Posted: 1/10/2014 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Got the day off

I will be leaving from the Winchester area. 2 door hatchback can sit 4 adults. It's tuff to get in and out of from the back seat but doable.

View Quote

Check IM.  +1 more to the Winchester/Front Royal group.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got the day off

Got it. I will get back with you on 1/11/14.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone heading down from Blacksburg/ROA area?
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I've confirmed the day off - I'll be leaving from Charlottesville, and have room for 1 large adult and 2 compact people (It's a Jeep Wrangler).
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I have two, possibly three adult seats going from nova at Vienna metro going in for lobby day. I expect the departure time to be 0630.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I have room for two leaving from Arlington/Alexandria area.  Gonna be early - I'm a team leader so I have to be there at 7:15 or so.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 8:03:32 AM EDT
[#13]
If you are able to hang around for some fellowship after the structured lobby day activities conclude, we are going to have an ar15.com lunch at capital ale house: thread here!

I am heading in from Chesterfield in the morning from the Hull St/Chippenham area, if anybody from Chester or the surrounding area wants to carpool.

Link Posted: 1/13/2014 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Winchester/Front Royal group has room for 1 more.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I have room for two leaving from Arlington/Alexandria area.  Gonna be early - I'm a team leader so I have to be there at 7:15 or so.
View Quote

Since no one seems to be interested in riding w/ me, I may wish to use one of those seats.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Email sent.

Quoted:

Since no one seems to be interested in riding w/ me, I may wish to use one of those seats.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/13/2014 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone coming from the NRV or Roanoke area? I'd really like to go this year.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Open or concealed? This is bugging me, I can not decide.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Where does one park in Richmond for this?   Also, any issues with bringing a knife in too?  
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Where does one park in Richmond for this?   Also, any issues with bringing a knife in too?  
View Quote

Since it is a holiday most street parking is free.

If you get there early enough you can park pretty close to the GA building.

There are also a bunch of parking garages nearby, but you'll pay for those.
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 3:09:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks Bulldog, another question.  If its cold in the morning, what does one do with a heavy jacket?  Lug it around or is there a secure place inside to leave it?  

Link Posted: 1/14/2014 5:23:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Got the day off so the wife and I will be there.

Wife might be the only one carrying as my permit renewel hasn't come back from Stafford yet.
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I will be there.
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I will be there.
View Quote

You mean I'll finally get to meet you?

Holy shit.
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Holy shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I will be there.

Holy shit.

I'm sure I'll disappoint.

Link Posted: 1/14/2014 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will be there.

Holy shit.

You two have never met?!?!?!

I have been remiss...  

I'm sorry.  This will get fixed soon!

ETA:  OK, the wmounts-mobile is now set - Olivers_AR, kcobean, and kcobean_Jr.  It'll be exactly like a monthly USPSA match.

Link Posted: 1/14/2014 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm trying to get my gun club motivated to go.  

We need to bring in a lot of folks for this to get McAullife to STFU about any new gun laws.
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

We need to bring in a lot of folks for this to get McAullife to STFU about any new gun laws.

Very important point here!

Everyone who can show up NEEDS to show up, and those who feel they can't show up really need to dig deep and think this through.  We need 50k people there.
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Everyone who can show up NEEDS to show up, and those who feel they can't show up really need to dig deep and think this through.  We need 50k people there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have friends who own guns and are not planning on being at lobby day, you should do everything you can to make them feel like they are part of the problem - because they are.  I fear our own side's complacency and laziness much more than I fear the other side's money.

Ask them:  If you won't take a few hours on a holiday to defend your rights....who will?
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Update from VCDL:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Not yet a VCDL member? Join VCDL at: http://www.vcdl.org/join
VCDL's meeting schedule: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings
Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: http://www.vcdl.org/help/abbr.html

1.  Action item - tell your Delegate about some of the bills we strongly SUPPORT
2.  Action item - tell your Delegate about some of the bills we strongly OPPOSE
3.  Urgent: Lobby Day Sign.  For WIDE distribution

1.  Action item - tell your Delegate about some of the bills we strongly SUPPORT

When you click the link below, you will fill in some information and the software will figure out who your Delegate is and send him or her a message in SUPPORT of some gun bills.  The message is prewritten, but you can edit the message if you wish.  Takes no time at all to send the message.

Here are the bills the email will address:

HB 114, Delegate Cole, allows private K-12 schools to determine who can carry a gun on their property (put in for VCDL)

HB 317, Delegate Berg, allows a CHP holder to carry in the *non-sterile* areas of an airport terminal

HB 639, Delegate Campbell, Constitutional Carry extended to concealed carriers who are Virginia residents and who would qualify for a CHP if they wanted one

HB 644, Delegate Campbell, Lifetime CHP bill.  A simple, straightforward bill that leaves currently law unchanged except to remove the limit of 5-years on current permits

HB 705, Delegate Gilbert, provides for full recognition of all out-of-state CHPs.  In return states like Georgia and New Hampshire will recognize Virginia permits (put in for VCDL)

HB 878, Delegate LaRock, requires a Chief Law-Enforcement Officer to sign off on a form for the purchase of a Class III item unless the person would be prohibited by law from purchasing such an item

We need to show strong support for these bills NOW!  Click on the link to send the email:

http://www2.vcdl.org/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/vcdl/reflector.html?REF=MyDelegate&PRE=14-pro-1

2.  Action item - tell your Delegate about some of the bills we strongly OPPOSE

When you click the link below, you will fill in some information and the software will figure out who your Delegate is and send him or her a message in OPPOSITION of some gun bills.  The message is prewritten, but you can edit the message if you wish.

Here are the bills the email will address:

HB 48, Delegate Simon, takes away gun rights for certain *misdemeanors*

HB 61, Delegate McQuinn, prohibits non-residents buying long guns.  What's the problem?  Harms the economy for no reason

HB 298, Delegate Loupassi, if a higher court overturns a mental-health commitment, the person still loses their gun rights and has to prove they should be allowed to own guns again.  Guilty until proven innocent

HB 535, Delegate Plum, closes the non-existent "gun show loophole"

HB 695, Delegate Torian, restricts the classes that qualify for a CHP and requires non-resident applicants to have a permit from their own state.  That would prevent gun owners in Maryland, Hawaii, New York City, New Jersey, and other places with almost impossible-to-get permits out in the cold

HB 809, Delegate Lopez, bans magazines that will hold more than 20 rounds

HB 810, Delegate Carr, a vague and overreaching bill on "celebratory gunfire."  Makes it a felony if you are not shooting at a "discernible target."  Who is to determine if a target is discernible or not?

HB 812, Delegate Lopez, "universal" background checks - a precursor to registration, compliance inspections, and, finally, confiscation

Click on the link to send the email:

http://www2.vcdl.org/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/vcdl/reflector.html?REF=MyDelegate&PRE=14-anti-1

3.  Urgent: Lobby Day Sign.  For WIDE distribution

With Lobby Day all but upon us we need to recruit as many folks as possible!  Click on the link below for a Lobby Day sign you can print out and post wherever allowed.  Don't just think about gun  stores (but they are important, too).  Any store that is with us!  Community bulletin boards as well!  Email the link to your friends to do the same!

Download me

-------------------------------------------
VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
(VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization
dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to
Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org/
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm heading to the NRA range on Friday and will drop off one of the Lobby Day signs I just printed.   Is there a bulletin board there?   Maybe I should tape it to the outer door.  

I'm also going to take one to my outdoor range IWLA in Fairfax.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 11:29:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm heading to the NRA range on Friday and will drop off one of the Lobby Day signs I just printed.   Is there a bulletin board there?   Maybe I should tape it to the outer door.  

I'm also going to take one to my outdoor range IWLA in Fairfax.  
View Quote

There is a bulletin board there.  It's in the hallway to the classroom just inside the front door.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Anybody coming from Roanoke or NRV? I'd really like to go and I can throw down some $ for gas!
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#34]
I was planning on going, scheduled the day off, but work just decided that I need to spend next week in South Carolina,
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm heading down on Sunday, Open Carry dinner that night, and staying in town to work for a few days after Monday.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 5:23:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Bump.

Seats available from Vienna Metro in NoVA, PM if you want one.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:28:42 AM EDT
[#37]
1.  Lobby Day is Monday and the weather is going to be nice!
2.  Pro-gun bills move forward, anti-gun bills crash and burn

1.  Lobby Day is Monday and the weather is going to be nice!

It's supposed to be around 60 degrees on Lobby Day - I can't wait!

If you are interested in carpooling, visit the Lobby Day Page on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/events/212177935538984/

And for those in Richmond on Sunday, don't forget about the pre-Lobby Day dinner:

The dinner is being held at 6:30 PM on Sunday, January 19, at:

Hibachi Sushi and Supreme Buffet  (Westland Shopping Center)
8087 W Broad St.
Richmond VA 23294
(https://hibachisushiandsupremebuffet.com/).

The dinner is open to the public, so come and join us!

2.  Pro-gun bills move forward, anti-gun bills hit the round filing cabinet

I love the smell of napalm in the morning!  Oh, wait, that burning smell is coming from the anti-gun bills destroyed in the Militia, Police, and Public Safety Subcommittee #1 on Thursday night! ;-)

On Friday morning the full committee passed all the bills that came out of the subcommittee, so they are now on their way to the House Floor.

Only one pro-gun bill is dead as of now - Delegate Campbell’s bill that extends constitutional carry to both open and concealed carry, was pulled most probably because of constitutional issues (only applied to Virginia residents, which was probably an equal protection issue).

Here is the status of the bills:

Killed in committee, stricken (pulled from consideration - dead), or carried over until next year (will not be brought up again until next year):

HB 61, McQuinn, prohibits long gun sales to non-residents, STRUCK
HB 448, Rob Bell, restoration of firearm rights, CARRIED OVER  FOR THE YEAR
HB 535, Plum, non-existent “Gun Show Loophole” bill, KILLED
HB 639, Campbell, extends constitutional carry to include both open and concealed, STRICKEN
HB 695, Torian, restricts safety courses that can be used to get a CHP, KILLED
HB 809, Lopez, bans magazines that will hold more than 20 rounds, KILLED
HB 812, Lopez, universal background checks, KILLED
HB 823, Lopez, private sale background check at gun show, KILLED
HB 828, Minchew, specifies a CHP instructor must be a firearms instructor, KILLED
HB 992, BaCote, library gun ban, KILLED
HB 1055, Bulova, specifies a CHP instructor must be a firearms instructor, KILLED
HB 1142, Simon, specifies a CHP instructor must be a firearms instructor, KILLED
HB 1145, Rush, restoration of firearm rights, CARRIED OVER FOR THE YEAR

Bills passed out of committee and on the way to the Floor of the House:

HB 357, Anderson, allows a CHP holder to see his own records in the Circuit Court Clerk’s office
HB 962, Cline, codifies that a person can have a handgun in a closed compartment or container in a vehicle without a CHP
HB 705, Gilbert, makes CHPs from all other states valid in Virginia - NH, GA, and CO will honor VA for starters
HB 878, LaRock, requires a Chief Law Enforcement Officer to sign off on Form 4s for Class III purchases
HB 100, Lingamfelter, allows Clerks to release non-sensitive CHP information only from 2004 through 2008 records, with that release ending completely within 4 years.

Voting pro-gun on the above bills In subcommittee:  Delegates Wright (Chairman), Gilbert, Webert, and Fariss

Voting pro-gun in the full committee:  Lingamfelter (Chairman), Wright, Cline, Gilbert, Morefield, Edmunds, Wilt, Webert, Morris, Fariss, O'Quinn, Head, Rush, Fowler, Berg

Voting anti-gun on the above bills in subcommittee: Delegate Tyler

Voting anti-gun in the full committee: Filler-Corn, Hope, Surovell, Kory, Lopez, Simon

Lots of good and bad bills have yet to be heard, but they, too, will have their day soon.

You can always check the status of all the gun bills using the 2014 Legislative Tracking Tool on the VCDL web site

-------------------------------------------
VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
(VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization
dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to
Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org [http://www.vcdl.org/]
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Per the VCDL page, "festivities start at 8:30AM", so plan accordingly.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 6:38:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Bump.  1 more seat Winchester/Front Royal.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 6:47:46 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Anybody coming from Roanoke or NRV? I'd really like to go and I can throw down some $ for gas!
View Quote
Hope you can tolerate me

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 7:31:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Lets' do this!

Bring a friend!
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 7:40:01 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Lets' do this!

Bring a friend!
View Quote
I'll also be riding with Matt_The_Hokie

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#43]
I still have space for 1 or 2 people, leaving from Arlington/Alexandria area.  I am staying for the arfcom lunch at Capitol Ale House afterwards.  PM me if you want a ride.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Anyone from Louisa County or  Charlottesville want to carpool?
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was on no uncertain terms told to pound sand when I asked the admin of the VAIDPA mailing list whether I could post that there. "No politics."
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#46]
VCDL ACTION ITEM-

On Monday afternoon (Lobby Day), the House Courts of Justice Criminal Law Subcommittee will meet and hear an important gun bill: HB 43.

HB 43 is Delegate Bob Marshall’s bill to protect Virginia gun owners against an over-reaching federal government. HB 43 prohibits state and local government employees from helping the federal government enforce any gun control passed after December 1, 2013. That means no magazine bans, no semi-automatic weapon bans, etc.

Click here to send a pre-written message to your Delegate in support of HB 43. You can customize the message if you wish:

http://tinyurl.com/m8s38y6

If you can stay later in the afternoon (after 4 PM) on Monday and can attend the meeting, the more support we show, the better!

The meeting is being held on the ground floor of the General Assembly Building in House Room C, immediately following the meeting of the full committee, which will begin at 4 PM.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I was on no uncertain terms told to pound sand when I asked the admin of the VAIDPA mailing list whether I could post that there. "No politics."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He sounds like a quisling.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm in Charlottesville - I was planning on hitting the Arfcom lunch, then maybe going metal detecting for a while before heading back home.

Your call :)
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm in Charlottesville - I was planning on hitting the Arfcom lunch, then maybe going metal detecting for a while before heading back home.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm doing the lunch too but if you are doing prospecting then I don't want to impede!
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Hope you can tolerate me  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hope you can tolerate me  

I talked to VTHokieShooter at length during Cola War 3.5 in Appomattox. He's good people.

I'll be there in the morning!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top