Previous Page
Page:  / 5
Author
Bullwhip
Posted: 11/6/2013 8:16:22 AM
[Last Edit: 1/10/2014 5:21:53 PM by wmounts]
The purpose of this "morning after" message is to urge everyone here to INK, not pencil, Monday 20 Jan 2014 for a trip to Richmond - Lobby Day 2014. After what happened yesterday, I think it's fair to say that VA gun owners will have some difficult times ahead. Lets try to get as many people as possible in front of our so-called representatives and show them that we are a force with which to be reckoned.
I have room for 5 others from the Alexandria/Arlington area.
If anyone ISN'T a member of VCDL and the NRA, if you've been waiting for a signal, consider yesterday's outcome as the big sign.

Talk to your friends and associates, and get them there also.

24 November update for those who have not previously been to Lobby Day:
Lobby Day is the day that the General Assembly officially gets started for the new year. Over the years, it has turned into the day on which groups and individuals go visit the GA members and express their interests and concerns. VCDL has turned this into an art form, IMO.

I can only speak for some of us here in NoVA, but the details go something like this - a bunch of us meet up and carpool and/or caravan to Richmond. Everyone meets up in front of the Capitol Building, and organizes into groups (each group visits a different set of legislators - the goal being that every legislator gets a visit from a group from VCDL).

As timing gets closer, I suggest we start an organization thread for carpools and caravans from various parts of the state.

14 January update: Have Suburban, Will Travel. Leaving from Alexandria, who needs/wants a ride?

"You're not going to get you're country back by primarily going after the low-hanging fruit." - Fist-of-Freedom

“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.”
bulldog1967
2nd Amendment Film Maker
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2013 9:02:38 AM
Indeed.

While i am disappointed by yesterday's results, i am ENERGIZED as well.

And i'll tell you why.

I have been a member of VCDL since i moved to this great state.

I have seen them grow and fight in Richmond for our 2nd amendment rights.

I have seen the results of their lobbying efforts at Lobby Day.

https://vimeo.com/34618841

Too many people in Va are content to sit on the sidelines and let others fight for their rights.

VCDL is THE reason we have shall issue ccw.

VCDL is THE reason we have state wide preemption.

VCDL is THE reason we have ccw in restaraunts that serve alcohol.

We are the premiere gun rights organization fighting in Richmond for YOU!

But we need YOU!

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
~William Pitt

@Semper_Fidelity on twitter
Spade
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2013 9:54:10 AM
Wife and I will be there.

Armed.
opencarry1976
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2013 10:27:11 AM
I've gone every year for the last few years. VERY worthwhile. (and please don't wear camo)
Spade
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2013 11:01:33 AM
[Last Edit: 11/6/2013 11:02:08 AM by Spade]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By opencarry1976:
I've gone every year for the last few years. VERY worthwhile. (and please don't wear camo)

Yeah, everybody needs to dress the fuck up. Go buy a damn tie.

Seriously, we look better if you come not looking like you just rolled out of the deer stand.
MaxTheRabbit
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2013 1:04:03 PM
Wearing a suit is almost as silly as wearing camo... just wear normal clothes ffs
bulldog1967
2nd Amendment Film Maker
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2013 2:10:14 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By MaxTheRabbit:
Wearing a suit is almost as silly as wearing camo... just wear normal clothes ffs

Not suit but a jacket and tie go a long way with perceptions.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
~William Pitt

lithgow303
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2013 2:45:42 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By bulldog1967:
Originally Posted By MaxTheRabbit:

Amen to that. Long time ago, far far away when I was a county prosecutor, an expensive suit would get a defense counsel a lot further with his client than how strong his legal acumen was.

If I can swing it based on my work load I'll try to be down there to assist. If I can go and anyone wants to ride down from NOVA let me know...
YoungGOP
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2013 4:54:59 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By lithgow303:
Originally Posted By bulldog1967:

Amen to that. Long time ago, far far away when I was a county prosecutor, an expensive suit would get a defense counsel a lot further with his client than how strong his legal acumen was.

If I can swing it based on my work load I'll try to be down there to assist. If I can go and anyone wants to ride down from NOVA let me know...
Jumping on the bandwagon. As someone on the receiving end of constituent meetings (daily), a suit only helps your case.
The_Rock
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2013 4:59:28 PM

Exactly.

I personally don't care a whit what you wear, as long as you have some sort of clothes on, normally. In fact, currently, I'm wearing a ratty t-shirt the wife has been trying to throw away for months plus jeans that are almost as old as son #1.

Consider that an oft repeated meme on the other side of our central issue is that we are a collection of red neck hillbillies that don't wear shoes. When you show up dressed nicely and professionally, anybody on the fence gets a positive impression and it allows others to inspect their prejudices.

I've just put in to take a day off from work and head downtown.

We need to arrange an ar15.com post lobby lunch this year as well.

TR
wmounts
Bullwhip
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2013 8:56:38 PM
It would be nice to have a HUGE turnout of Arfcommers.
Lunch afterwards is a must!

I wonder if we can scam QuanticoTactical into bringing the smoker??
"You're not going to get you're country back by primarily going after the low-hanging fruit." - Fist-of-Freedom

“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.”
libertyforall
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/6/2013 9:17:49 PM
I'll be there. And to echo those above, NO CAMO! If the media is there taking pictures, they will look right past the 1,000 people wearing collared shirts and ties and take photos of the one person wearing camo, so they can paint us as uneducated hillbillies. Don't be that guy. Wear a tie.
pevrs114
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/7/2013 12:18:53 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By MaxTheRabbit:

You're kidding, right?

This is a professional environment, dress the part.

I will be there, again, as I was last year. Got a buddy to sign up today for VCDL. Hopefully I can add a few more. I need to renew, but I can't find my membership number.
Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined. - Patrick Henry
bulldog1967
2nd Amendment Film Maker
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/7/2013 3:16:03 AM
VA-ALERT: Election wrapup

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Not yet a VCDL member? Join VCDL at: http://www.vcdl.org/join
VCDL's meeting schedule: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings
Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: http://www.vcdl.org/help/abbr.html

THE BAD NEWS, THE GOOD NEWS, AND WISHFUL THINKING BY THE ANTIS

THE BAD NEWS

Anti-gun Terry McAuliffe-Bloomberg won the governorship by 2.5% over Ken Cuccinelli and anti-gun Ralph Northam won the Lt. Governor race over E.W. Jackson by a more substantial 10.5%. The Attorney General race is still vacillating between anti-gun Mark Herring and pro-gun Mark Obenshain. Only 726 votes, out of 2,205,843 cast, separate them as I write this!

Remember me saying it was going to be tight and every pro-gun vote was needed?

I expect that we are going to see pro-gun bills vetoed by McAuliffe-Bloomberg, which is going to make it hard to move our agenda forward. We probably will also see some anti-gun activism coming out of the Governor's Mansion. Finally, there is also the chance that games will be played with state agencies prohibiting guns.

In the event of a tie on a gun bill, we can expect an anti-gun tie-breaking vote from Northam. Also, the power in the Senate will now switch to the anti-gun Democrat leadership. BUT, see, "IMPORTANT: WHAT'S NEXT" below.

The Attorney General's opinions are supposed to be a good reflection of the law, but I've seen Herring really twist things to justify an anti-gun position, so color me skeptical that opinions on guns will be fair and accurate if he's elected. I hope I'm wrong - we'll see.

THE GOOD NEWS

The bright spot is that gun owners maintained a huge pro-gun majority in the House of Delegates! That means that anti-gun bills are extremely stoppable if we all do our part when called upon by VCDL to perform some kind of action.

And Obenshain might very well pull off the election for Attorney General. I have a whole lot more faith in Obenshain than Herring issuing impartial opinions.

WISHFUL THINKING BY THE ANTIS

Here is an article in the Daily Beast that is trying to say that Virginia's voters now support gun control based on the election results.

Nice try, but no cigar.

If Virginians want gun control, why did 54% of voters support pro-gun candidates for Governor over McAuliffe-Bloomberg? Why did they re-elect pro-gun Republicans to a large majority in the House?

Like I said, nice try:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/11/06/guns-go-down-in-the-nra-s-backyard.html

IMPORTANT: WHAT'S NEXT?

Sometime in the next month or so we will learn who our Attorney General is going to be. In the meantime Senator Northam's Senate seat will be up for grabs and if we can get a pro-gun Senator elected, we will have a stronger Senate. And it is very doable if we do our part. (If the Republicans run a decent candidate, they could have a 21-19 majority in the Senate and effectively deny the Lt. Governor a vote and, at the same time, keep the anti-gun Democratic leadership out of power.)

The VCDL-PAC chairman, Bob Sadtler, has been on top of wargaming the special elections that will be used to fill the seats of Northam, Herring, and Obenshain, depending on which of them won.

We do NOT want to lose any of the open Senate seats! Be prepared when the VCDL-PAC is ready to start moving on those special elections. We must win those seats!

LOBBY DAY IS NOW MORE IMPORTANT THAN EVER!

No excuses - mark your calendars now and get that day off from work to come to Richmond and lobby for our gun rights with fellow VCDL members! Lobby Day is on Monday, January 20, 2014 at 9 AM at the General Assembly Building in Richmond (SE corner of 9th and Broad Streets - across from City Hall). We will be having a rally at the Bell Tower at 11 AM that day. This is a huge VCDL event and a fun one. Don't' miss it.

MEMBERS, MEMBERS, MEMBERS

The more members VCDL has, the stronger we are. So please help us get those all important new members signed up! And remember, just because you get these alerts doesn't mean your are an actual member. Membership is $25 a year and is the best investment you can make to protect your rights. Also, with the special elections coming up SOON, consider a donation to the VCDL-PAC.

And let me say this: VCDL is NOT going to back off its agenda based on the statewide election results. We have lives to protect and we will be working hard to do so. Be ready for a fight starting in January and stand with us as we continue to move the ball forward and guard that precious jewel known as liberty.

-------------------------------------------
VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
(VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization
dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to
Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org

~William Pitt

wmounts
Bullwhip
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/7/2013 8:42:20 AM
VA-ALERT: Election wrapup

(If the Republicans run a decent candidate, they could have a 21-19 majority in the Senate and effectively deny the Lt. Governor a vote and, at the same time, keep the anti-gun Democratic leadership out of power.)

I highlighted the salient part.

Anyone here from that district? Any suggestions on how to affect this process in a positive way?

bulldog1967
2nd Amendment Film Maker
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/7/2013 8:44:00 AM
[Last Edit: 11/7/2013 8:44:22 AM by bulldog1967]
Donate money to the VCDL PAC.

I'm going to talk to the powers that be about doing some campaign ads if we can.
~William Pitt

wmounts
Bullwhip
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/7/2013 8:57:56 AM
Donate money to the VCDL PAC.

I'm going to talk to the powers that be about doing some campaign ads if we can.

I was specifically referring to figuring out a way to get the appropriate candidate running.

Spade
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/7/2013 9:12:03 AM
I wore a tie last year. It doesn't hurt (but I wear a tie every day).

The best dressed guy last year that I saw was a guy who looked about 21. Well fitted black suit with a red tie. Also was open carrying an AR-15 pistol with a 30 rounder.

Dress the fuck up people.
MaxTheRabbit
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/7/2013 9:41:51 AM
I think we all agree that the idea here is to not wear camo and/or dirty clothes that make you look like a bush-league backwoods tool.

fuck ties
Napalmsticks
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/7/2013 10:14:30 AM
I'm in.
Spade
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/7/2013 12:11:40 PM
[Last Edit: 11/7/2013 12:12:21 PM by Spade]
Also, come up with a script and stick to it.

It's annoying when you're talking about a bill and somebody in your group decides it's time for crazytown frolics.

Just my opinion on what I saw last year.
SimonPhoto
Internet Entrepreneur, General Geek.
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/8/2013 9:32:13 AM
In.

My suit was lost by the airline the last time I flew, but I'll at least look professional. I might just go buy a new damned suit.
"It's hard to hear a wallet screaming over the sound of a pecker cheering"
--WinstonSmith

"If this is how the state treats its law-abiding citizens, it doesn't deserve to have any"
--Solzhenitsyn
Tzuriz
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/9/2013 8:55:33 AM
I'll be there.
Bonk2029
wacko bird
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/9/2013 12:17:29 PM
I'll be there in spirit.

Joined VCDL this week though.
Thankyou 21BoomCBTENGR for the membership!
Tzuriz
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/9/2013 1:40:16 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Bonk2029:
I'll be there in spirit.

Joined VCDL this week though.

Blu3Ridge
Beer Drinking Bomb-Dropper
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/9/2013 4:27:38 PM
I'll be there, I have to thank my Delegate - as his pro-2A bill he drafted for me will probably end up vetoed now
  Previous Page
Page:  / 5