Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2013 5:10:26 PM EDT
I realize this sounds like a silly question but I don't live in Virginia and I just wanted to confirm 30 round mags are in fact legal to own in VA? I recently sold one on the EE and according to google it is ok to ship it to the buyer in VA but with all the changing legislation recently I just wanted to double check to be sure before I ship it tomorrow that nothing has changed recently. Thanks for your help I just don't want arfcom to end up on the news or something for being a way for people in ban states to get no no items or something like that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes it is legal and there is no legislation going on to limit them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#3]
300 round mags are legal.

Link Posted: 2/20/2013 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#4]
30, 40... whatever it takes!
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Only thing that comes close to a mag capacity prohibition, even then it's only in certain localities and the weapon has to be loaded and you're walking around the streets. Of course, if you have a CCW it doesn't apply but the POPO won't know that until they talk with you.

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The exemptions set forth in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 4:53:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Only thing that comes close to a mag capacity prohibition, even then it's only in certain localities and the weapon has to be loaded and you're walking around the streets. Of course, if you have a CCW it doesn't apply but the POPO won't know that until they talk with you.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The exemptions set forth in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.

So if I have my AR, with my CMMG 22LR bolt in it, I can carry a 25 round magazine in it?

Link Posted: 2/21/2013 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So if I have my AR, with my CMMG 22LR bolt in it, I can carry a 25 round magazine in it?

IANAL, but it does say Centerfire.  The sticker might be how the lower is marked...cal-multi vs. 5.56/.223.  If it's marked 5.56, it could be legally said to be a centerfire rifle, regardless of configuration?  I dunno man....I hate these stupid laws.

Link Posted: 2/21/2013 11:19:00 AM EDT
[#8]
If you have the CHL, it looks like you would be exempt from that law.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top