Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2012 4:07:57 PM EDT
I am new to the Fairfax area, but I am wanting to hunt in the county and try and thin some of the local deer population. I just wanted to make sure I understood their crazy regulations. So I need at least 20 acres to hunt on and I am restricted to archery and shotgun only; correct. What type of ammo can I use for shotguns ie slugs, buckshot...? What other things am I missing? I am fairly confident I know of a place that has enough land and they will let me hunt on their land.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 11:14:14 PM EDT
[#1]
In so far as archery is concerned there is no property size restrictions that I know of, the property I bow hunt on is about 5 acres.

Here are the requirements for bow hunting in Fairfax County.

State Urban Archery Rules

General Information (for all localities)

1.   Only antlerless deer may be taken.
2.    Hunters must abide by all applicable sections of the Virginia State Code, Virginia Hunting Regulations, and local ordinances. See local restrictions in the next section below.
3.    Licenses, bag limits, and tagging requirements for the urban archery season are the same as for the other archery seasons in Virginia. You must purchase an archery license to hunt during any       special archery season. See "License Requirements".
4.    The urban archery season does not open new properties to hunting. It is simply an extension of the archery season when only antlerless deer can be taken. As always, you must have landowner permission before hunting.
5.    Lists of properties available for hunting are not maintained by the Virginia Department of Game of Inland Fisheries or local governments. To find available properties, visit with or contact local landowners, hunters, archery clubs, or check stations. Hunters in Fairfax County may wish to contact Suburban Whitetail Management of Northern Virginia, Inc. or visit the Fairfax County Archery Program web page.
6.    You must obtain permission to hunt from the landowner. You must also obtain permission to pursue or retrieve deer from neighboring landowners. Due to the small size of parcels and proximity of residences, you or the landowner should notify adjacent property owners or tenants, as a courtesy, before hunting.
7.    Crossbows are defined by law as a type of bow and are therefore legal during urban archery season. However, to use a crossbow during any special archery season, you must also purchase a crossbow license. See "License Requirements".
8.    The season bag limit for deer cannot be exceeded unless bonus deer permits are purchased. See "Bonus Deer Permits".
9.    Most localities participating in the urban archery season also allow archery hunting during other traditional deer seasons; i.e., early archery season, general firearms season, and late archery season (see below). Antlered deer may be taken during these traditional seasons, provided that the locality of interest allows archery hunting during these seasons. Remember that only antlerless deer may be taken during the urban archery season.
10.    Bucks that drop antlers prior to the conclusion of the urban archery season are considered "antlerless" and may be legally harvested and tagged with an antlerless-only deer tag.
11.    Deer must be checked by calling 1-866-GOT-GAME, online, or at a big game check station.

Fairfax County Rules

1. In addition to the urban archery season, archery deer hunting is also allowed during the early archery season and the general firearms deer season (i.e., from the first Saturday in October through the first Saturday in January).
2. Hunters must gain written permission for posted property and verbal for un-posted property.
3. It shall be unlawful to discharge an arrow in a manner that can be reasonably expected to result in the impact of the arrow upon the property of another without permission from the owner, fee holder, or tenant.

I hope this is helpful.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 11:34:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure you are not on park land. Make sure you have owners premission....to make it easier for you. I would have written premision and keep a copy with you along with the phone number of the property owner.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:51:57 AM EDT
[#3]
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/living/animals/wildlife/management/deer-management/options.htm

Fairfax County - Firearms Use On Private Property

There are strict firearms restrictions in Fairfax County. A private property owner must have 20 acres or larger property in Appendix J area of Fairfax County to legally discharge a firearm. The private property owner must obtain a firearm discharge permit from the Fairfax County Police Department.

A valid hunt permit, kill permit (year-round) or Damage Control Assistance Program (DCAP) permit must be obtained from the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries . Below are general local firearm ordinances for hunting on private property in Fairfax County:

No rifles larger than .22 for hunting.
   No hunting with firearms of game species from within 100 yards of a road.
   All rifles, pistols, or shotguns loaded with slugs prohibited for any hunting.
   It is unlawful to feed deer September 1st through January 1st each year during the hunting season in Virginia.

Archery Use On Private Property

Urban archery has been shown to be a safe and effective deer management tool to control deer populations on public and private lands in urban and suburban environments such as Fairfax County. Unlike firearms, there has never been a human fatality or injury reported as a result of bowhunting in Virginia.

Fairfax County has an early archery season granted by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. Qualified bowhunters may legally hunt on private property from the first Saturday in September through the last Saturday in March. General information and restrictions for Fairfax County is provided on the DGIF website :

Hunters must abide by all VA state laws, hunting regulations, and local ordinances. Hunters are required to have a valid big game license, archery license, and crossbow license (if applicable).
   Property owner must provide written or verbal consent to grant permission for a bowhunter to hunt deer on property.
   It is prohibited to discharge an arrow in a manner reasonably expected to result in the impact of the arrow upon the property of another without permission from the property owner or tenant. The ground must be used as a backstop (e.g. hunting from a tree stand).
   There is no minimum parcel size (acreage) required for a landowner to permit a bowhunter to hunt deer on the property. The property owner should consider notifying adjacent neighbors, as a courtesy, before hunting due to the proximity of residences and small parcel sizes.
   Hunters are obligated to make every reasonable attempt to retrieve a wounded deer. Hunters must obtain permission from other landowners to track or retrieve deer from a neighboring property.
   Hunters are not permitted to charge for their services. Hunters must provide own equipment.

There are many archery groups, clubs, and associations in Fairfax County. It is the responsibility of the property owner to ensure only the most qualified bowhunter(s) is permitted on their property. Bowhunters with superior skill, ethics, and experience can efficiently and discreetly hunt deer in areas where firearm use is restricted or prohibited.

Each year, bowhunters elect to qualify as an archery group to participate in the Fairfax County Archery Program. You may visit the Archery Program webpage for more information on the qualification criteria and rules to participate in the Archery Program. Archery groups must also provide proof of hunt group insurance ($1,000,000 general liability).

Fairfax County does not endorse the use or services of any individual bowhunter, archery organization, or Archery
Group that has qualified to participate in the Fairfax County Archery Program:

Quoted:
I am new to the Fairfax area, but I am wanting to hunt in the county and try and thin some of the local deer population. I just wanted to make sure I understood their crazy regulations. So I need at least 20 acres to hunt on and I am restricted to archery and shotgun only; correct. What type of ammo can I use for shotguns ie slugs, buckshot...? What other things am I missing? I am fairly confident I know of a place that has enough land and they will let me hunt on their land.

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 7:13:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Bow or crossbow is your beat bet, most land owners don't want to go through with the permit process and sign requirements of fcpd.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top