Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2011 1:17:35 PM EDT
This subject has been discussed plenty in the past I know.  But can anyone make first-hand recommendations on a lawyer to setup a NFA trust?  

I had picked up a flyer at the Chantilly gunshow for a VA estate planning lawyer that specialized in NFA trusts but I lost it.  If anyone has his web address I'd appreciate the info.

eta- Found it-Arsenalattorneys.com

Link Posted: 12/9/2011 4:24:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I've talked with Mark Matthews, and he would be the person I would use.

He is on this forum, and might chime in - but if not, I can get you the contact info. (I'm at work and his card is at home)

Have a good weekend,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 5:30:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I would talk to Spencer Cross out of Staunton I know several people that he has done NFA trusts for and they all have nothing but good things to say about him.  I am at work right now and don't have his contact info but if you need it let me know and I will see what I can do.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 1:18:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the names.  I'll try to do some research.  Really just want the cheapest I can get, this is a pretty simple task...
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 for Mark Matthews. You won't find a better man.
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I hear the CLEO sign off requirement is being removed in the near future. Does this mean no more need for trusts?
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_17/357464_CLEO_Requirement_Going_Away.html
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I hear the CLEO sign off requirement is being removed in the near future. Does this mean no more need for trusts?
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_17/357464_CLEO_Requirement_Going_Away.html

That's still 6-12 months out at best guess, as it involves changing the CFR's, going through a public comment period, etc.
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 6:38:06 PM EDT
[#7]
It would remove one reason to use a trust, but they would still have certain advantages.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 10:14:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 6:50:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Hank Marx.  http://www.millermarx.com/Attorneys/
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Whether the CLEO thing goes away, or not, there is still the issue of engraving the NFA item.

If you build it on a Form 1, you might still prefer to have a trust or corporation name on it rather than your name.

You can call your trust quite literally anything you want.
You engrave the name of the trust on gun.
I like the idea of a gun that is engraved "In Firepower We Trust" a lot better than one that says "Marvin Finklestein."
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hank Marx.  http://www.millermarx.com/Attorneys/

Hank did mine as well. He is also on here.

He was quick to answer questions and his assistant was friendly as well. I'd recommend him depending on where in Va you are.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 4:29:46 AM EDT
[#12]
How much $$$
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 6:02:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Hank was very reasonable price wise when I did mine if that is what you are asking 1badf350.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 12:23:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hank was very reasonable price wise when I did mine if that is what you are asking 1badf350.

Yes I was wondering. Could you PM me?
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 5:46:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Anyone used these guys?

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 5:58:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I know most here are looking for one in VA what about WV?  Moved to WV recently and would like to start the process.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 6:05:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Anyone used these guys?

I did recently, he was great to work with, very knowledgeable and thorough.  He took time to explain everything to me and included in the cost I can call for additional questions later on if any come up.  Turn around time was about week.

Edit to add: This was in Virginia, not Colorado.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Are trusts ammendable? I am not currently married and have no children, but I assume that I will be in a few years. Can I add/edit/delete beneficiaries/executors listed in the trust?
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Are trusts ammendable? I am not currently married and have no children, but I assume that I will be in a few years. Can I add/edit/delete beneficiaries/executors listed in the trust?

Short answer - yes.

Long answer - internet is good for getting your bearings, but these are all questions that should properly be answered by a professional, like a good attorney, who will work with you to utilize the trust to accomplish your present goals and tune it as your life grows and changes.  I had questions related to the portability of the trust (e.g. if I move), and so forth.  I used Craig Max's services for my NFA Trust:

http://www.vfnlaw.com/attorneys/craig-andrew-max/

He's about a mile or less from VA Arms in Manassas.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone used these guys?

I did recently, he was great to work with, very knowledgeable and thorough.  He took time to explain everything to me and included in the cost I can call for additional questions later on if any come up.  Turn around time was about week.

+1 on all that

...and he spent about .5 hour with me answering my questions before the first dime changed hands.
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I know most here are looking for one in VA what about WV?  Moved to WV recently and would like to start the process.

Tag for more information regarding trusts in WV.
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Anyone have experience with;

James Granoski
Attorney at Law  
505 Wythe Street
Alexandria, VA 22314

Link Posted: 12/18/2011 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Anyone have experience with;

James Granoski
Attorney at Law  
505 Wythe Street
Alexandria, VA 22314

I'm thinking about using this guy.  I've spoken with him a few times, and he's been very proactive (but not pushy) about checking in with me to see if I would use him.  Last time we spoke (about two months ago), we ended up chatting about full size .45 pistols.  He knows his guns, and he even recommended a good guy locally to do Kydex work.  I haven't used him for my trust yet, but was leaning this way for when I do in January...
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 5:56:15 AM EDT
[#24]
I used;

Craig Max IV, CPA/JD
Estate & Tax Planner at Vanderpool, Frostick & Nishanian, P.C.
9200 Church St # 400  Manassas, VA 20110-5561
(703) 369-4738

He knows NFA Trusts. He set mine up and I have had no problems with multiple Form 1 & 4 submissions to ATF. He now does our business legal work and estate planning. I highly recommned.

Link Posted: 12/27/2011 5:26:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would talk to Spencer Cross out of Staunton I know several people that he has done NFA trusts for and they all have nothing but good things to say about him.  I am at work right now and don't have his contact info but if you need it let me know and I will see what I can do.

This
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tag for more information regarding trusts in WV.

I used Tammy McWilliams at Trump and Trump in Martinsburg.  I can't say for sure what her rates would be for anyone, as she told me that it is a case by case type of thing.  If you're in the Eastern Panhandle it wouldn't hurt anything to give her a call.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top