Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 12:01:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By 21BoomCBTENGR:
I actually am saddened a lot by this thread.  Demonizing other Americans for their beliefs is a liberal tactic, has been from the beginning.  It's sad to see you all referring to someone with strong convictions as "the enemy" just because they have a different opinion.  That's their way, and it didn't used to be ours.

Just ask Californians how that has worked out for them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 10:29:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I actually am saddened a lot by this thread.  Demonizing other Americans for their beliefs is a liberal tactic, has been from the beginning.  It's sad to see you all referring to someone with strong convictions as "the enemy" just because they have a different opinion.  That's their way, and it didn't used to be ours.

It's not differing beliefs, they are contributing to the aggressive agenda of depriving American Citizens of their Civil Rights.  

Be sad about it if you wish.  As for me, it pisses me the hell off and I will NOT tolerate it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 10:36:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Hard_Rock:

It's not differing beliefs, they are contributing to the aggressive agenda of depriving American Citizens of their Civil Rights.  

Be sad about it if you wish.  As for me, it pisses me the hell off and I will NOT tolerate it.

Well bless your heart.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Well bless your heart.

Right back at ya.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Defender3:
Many of us vote with our pocketbooks since that's about all we have left to try influence the process.

Never said tht was wrong, I do it too.  The level of vitriol seems unnecessary though.

Perhaps you've missed out on the anti-second amendment vitriol propagated by those which SEG funds through campaign contributions.

Or, you purposely ignore it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By h3smith:

Many of us vote with our pocketbooks since that's about all we have left to try influence the process.

Never said tht was wrong, I do it too.  The level of vitriol seems unnecessary though.

Perhaps you've missed out on the anti-second amendment vitriol propagated by those which SEG funds through campaign contributions.

The VA politicians they aggressively support are virulent anti-gunners.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#7]

yes, please infer that i am a secret anti-gunner, it makes you sound super smart.

Heres the bottom line fellas, y'all all had your chance to say your pieces about this and that, i chime in with my opinion then i get dogpiled by a bunch of people who feel i shouldnt say what i feel like saying.  Well tell ya what, anyone who doesn't like what i have to say about what i think can go fly a kite in hell in the middle of a lightning storm for all i care.  Rabid, kneejerk conservativism is as bad as rabid, kneejerk liberalism, no matter how you slice it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 11:54:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: h3smith] [#8]

yes, please infer that i am a secret anti-gunner, it makes you sound super smart.

Heres the bottom line fellas, y'all all had your chance to say your pieces about this and that, i chime in with my opinion then i get dogpiled by a bunch of people who feel i shouldnt say what i feel like saying.  Well tell ya what, anyone who doesn't like what i have to say about what i think can go fly a kite in hell in the middle of a lightning storm for all i care.  Rabid, kneejerk conservativism is as bad as rabid, kneejerk liberalism, no matter how you slice it.

Where did someone tell you tell you shouldn't say what you feel like saying? Reading back, no one told you that you weren't entitled to your opinion or to shut the fuck up.

So, you are just making shit up to suit your feelings on the matter.

Inferring from your post, only you are entitled to your opinion, everyone else should simply shut up and let you ramble on!

The facts remain: SEG funnels money to groups who spit out anti-gun vitriol. Go ahead and pretend they don't. Go ahead and pretend only people on AR15.com are the ones with the "vitriol."

I never implied you were an "anti-gunner" - you simply are ignoring facts of who the SEG funds financially. Which, if that is how you take it, then - well - perhaps you need to do a bit of introspection.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 12:22:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 21BoomCBTENGR] [#9]

Where did someone tell you tell you shouldn't say what you feel like saying? Reading back, no one told you that you weren't entitled to your opinion or to shut the fuck up.

Inferring from your post, only you are entitled to your opinion, everyone else should simply shut up and let you ramble on!

The facts remain: SEG funnels money to groups who spit out anti-gun vitriol. Go ahead and pretend they don't. Go ahead and pretend only people on AR15.com are the ones with the "vitriol."

I never implied you were an "anti-gunner" - you simply are ignoring facts of who the SEG funds financially. Which, if that is how you take it, then - well - perhaps you need to do a bit of introspection.

I'll just leave this here. since you didnt get the point that all your sad, frustrated, angry typing is wasted.

Adios to this "we only want the opinions we approve of in this thread!" thread.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 3:17:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: larrythetuna] [#10]
Just go back to GD and stay there. Where reading is for fags and critical thinking is just going to get in the way. YOU go back and read what was posted. The but hurt one is you. Nobody here shares your opinion, you don't like it. The only one getting histrionic is you.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 6:32:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#12]
The part that seriously turns me off about dealing with SEG (besides the distance) is their hypocrisy.

They have their range and training facility there, which from what I’ve heard seems to be marketed more towards the
shooter w/ $$, and the GOV. (I have no issue with this – I like capitalism, and the Marquez family needs to make a living
just like everybody else.) They also run at least one other business out of the offices there – their security contract
company, MVM. (I worked for Mr. Marquez for a few months back in the mid-90’s, but I won’t get into that here.)
Again, capitalism – knock yourself out.

The part that makes me scratch my head and say, “WTF!?”, though, is the hypocrisy of them running their firearms-based
business/range (SEG), and MVM, Inc. (armed guards being a part of their offerings), but then turn around and give money
to politicians who have demonstrated time and again that they don’t believe that Joe Citizen should own a cap-gun, let
alone an EBR, etc. (Yeah, it’s a run-on sentence, but I’m fussing….)

Where is their mindset? Do they think that by lining Joe Politician’s campaign coffers with their $$, that they’ll get special
treatment? (The ‘Some animals are more equal than others’ mindset?) Or that because they have GOV contracts that they’ll
be given special waivers?  I just don’t get it – just like Holly-weird: Make $$ using firearms in your movies, but then get up in
public and rant about how nobody should be able to own them.

In this case, make $$ with your range and gunshop, and peddle armed security to your clients, but then turn around and
donate some of said $$ to the politicians/crooks who’d love to take them away from ‘us commoners’…..
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#13]

I'll just leave this here. since you didnt get the point that all your sad, frustrated, angry typing is wasted.

I am starting to think you work for the SEG, seeing as you are so defensive.
Link Posted: 10/12/2012 2:15:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spade] [#14]

"Rules for Radicals" actually works.

I don't care about being right or polite anymore. I care about winning.

And if I have to help destroy somebody's business and leave them and their family destitute and in the poor house to win, well, you can't make an omelet...
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 7:49:07 AM EDT
[#15]

I am starting to think you work for the SEG, seeing as you are so defensive.

Starting to?  SEG has had more than one shill post here for them.  He's just another one.  SEG chose poorly and are paying the price for their choice.  It was a very poor decision by SEG to support anti gunners.  I guess they didn't think that we'd be able to or care enough to find out about whom they support with our money.  

Let me put it this way to sum it up and end this discussion.  SEG is taking money from it's customers and funneling into the very people that are so desperately trying to take away our Right to Keep and Bear Arms.  Is this a smart thing for us as gun owners to do?  No.  This is a very unwise course of action.  Anyone that supports SEG needs to think real hard about that.  They are supporting anti gun activity for a short term gain for themselves.  

The owners of SEG misrepresented themselves to the Loudoun Board of Supervisors in order to get the okay to build their business in Loudoun.  The BOS was NOT happy when they found out about it... at least the upstanding members were I should say.  SEG has made it's choice to support our enemies.  Yes, our ENEMIES.  The very people that want us disarmed.  I choose to take my business elsewhere because of that.  I'd have to be a fracking idiot to give them a single penny of my money.  And frankly, anyone that supports them is just as bad.
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 7:00:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut] [#16]

Edited the quote tree

Starting to?  SEG has had more than one shill post here for them.  He's just another one.  SEG chose poorly and are paying the price for their choice.  It was a very poor decision by SEG to support anti gunners.  I guess they didn't think that we'd be able to or care enough to find out about whom they support with our money.  

Let me put it this way to sum it up and end this discussion.  SEG is taking money from it's customers and funneling into the very people that are so desperately trying to take away our Right to Keep and Bear Arms.  Is this a smart thing for us as gun owners to do?  No.  This is a very unwise course of action.  Anyone that supports SEG needs to think real hard about that.  They are supporting anti gun activity for a short term gain for themselves.  

The owners of SEG misrepresented themselves to the Loudoun Board of Supervisors in order to get the okay to build their business in Loudoun.  The BOS was NOT happy when they found out about it... at least the upstanding members were I should say.  SEG has made it's choice to support our enemies.  Yes, our ENEMIES.  The very people that want us disarmed.  I choose to take my business elsewhere because of that.  I'd have to be a fracking idiot to give them a single penny of my money.  And frankly, anyone that supports them is just as bad.

+1 for This.  That said I went to Blue Ridge Arsenal Today and I have to say it was awesome.  Staff was friendly and as far as indoor ranges go it is great.  I will definitely look into a membership there.

Link Posted: 10/13/2012 7:10:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut] [#17]

Originally Posted By Kali110505:

Edited the quote tree

+1 for This.  That said I went to Blue Ridge Arsenal Today and I have to say it was awesome.  Staff was friendly and as far as indoor ranges go it is great.  I will definitely look into a membership there.

http://www.ak47.net/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=24&t=336188

Link Posted: 10/13/2012 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By Spade:

I actually am saddened a lot by this thread. Demonizing other Americans for their beliefs is a liberal tactic, has been from the beginning. It's sad to see you all referring to someone with strong convictions as "the enemy" just because they have a different opinion. That's their way, and it didn't used to be ours.

"Rules for Radicals" actually works.

I don't care about being right or polite anymore. I care about winning.

And if I have to help destroy somebody's business and leave them and their family destitute and in the poor house to win, well, you can't make an omelet...

Concur.  Wholeheartedly concur.

Link Posted: 10/13/2012 10:15:59 PM EDT
[#19]

I guess you missed the memo on that one...
Link Posted: 10/14/2012 12:14:00 AM EDT
[#20]

in before the pile on?

I won't fault anyone that lives near the SEG and shoots there because it is 5 minutes from their house. Lets face it, getting to the NRA from Ashburn is a PITA, plus the waits.

But, lets not pretend you aren't eating shit either.
Link Posted: 10/14/2012 2:18:29 AM EDT
[#21]
We go to the SEG only if Blue Ridge Arsenal is closed or too busy. Some of friends avoid SEG since the owner supports Obama. I hate the NRA range as the employees there are dicks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2012 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Owner of BRA stating at 1:03 that he voted for 0bama.
Link Posted: 10/14/2012 10:28:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kali110505] [#23]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:
View Quote

I guess you missed the memo on that one...
View Quote

Yes I moved here in August of 2009. This is the first I have heard of this. Now I'm screwed because I won't go to Silver Eagle, now it appears I can't go with Blue Ridge Arsenal Either. I am a life endowment member of the NRA but I dont care for the range. The waits suck, its a pain in the ass to get there and the staff is less them awesome.  

Anyone here want to sponsor me for Fairfax Rod And Gun?
Link Posted: 10/14/2012 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#24]
are you NOVA guys really that surprised that the businesses in your area are run by commies? I mean c'mon you live in greater-leningrad
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 3:27:53 AM EDT
[#25]
After 4 years of BHO, I wonder if the owners of Blue Ridge and SEG still feel the same way.
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 8:01:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By slithers:
After 4 years of BHO, I wonder if the owners of Blue Ridge and SEG still feel the same way.

Easy to find out, just go to opensecrets.org and type in their names.  All of their political donations are listed there.
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 9:07:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Tanker06:
The part that seriously turns me off about dealing with SEG (besides the distance) is their hypocrisy.

They have their range and training facility there, which from what I’ve heard seems to be marketed more towards the
shooter w/ $$, and the GOV. (I have no issue with this – I like capitalism, and the Marquez family needs to make a living
just like everybody else.) They also run at least one other business out of the offices there – their security contract
company, MVM. (I worked for Mr. Marquez for a few months back in the mid-90’s, but I won’t get into that here.)
Again, capitalism – knock yourself out.

The part that makes me scratch my head and say, “WTF!?”, though, is the hypocrisy of them running their firearms-based
business/range (SEG), and MVM, Inc. (armed guards being a part of their offerings), but then turn around and give money
to politicians who have demonstrated time and again that they don’t believe that Joe Citizen should own a cap-gun, let
alone an EBR, etc. (Yeah, it’s a run-on sentence, but I’m fussing….)

Where is their mindset? Do they think that by lining Joe Politician’s campaign coffers with their $$, that they’ll get special
treatment? (The ‘Some animals are more equal than others’ mindset?) Or that because they have GOV contracts that they’ll
be given special waivers?  I just don’t get it – just like Holly-weird: Make $$ using firearms in your movies, but then get up in
public and rant about how nobody should be able to own them.

In this case, make $$ with your range and gunshop, and peddle armed security to your clients, but then turn around and
donate some of said $$ to the politicians/crooks who’d love to take them away from ‘us commoners’…..

I have not done the research to back this up, but I have a suspicion that if you "follow the money" that was given by SEG/MVM to anti-gun politicians, you would find that those politicians in some way have influence over how some .gov agencies budgets are allocated and/or spent.  Combine that with some lobbyist style schmoozing with the right people in those .gov agencies and you set yourself up nicely to be awarded large and/or long term training support contracts.

I firmly believe that SEG doesn't give shit one about you or me.  In fact if you press them hard enough, you may even find that they follow the thinking that heavy regulation of civilian gun ownership is a good thing.  Make it difficult/expensive to own guns, the only people that will own them are people with money to spend on country club style memberships.  Make it difficult/expensive to own guns, you put your smaller, more civilian friendly competitors out of business.  Put your competitors out of business, it makes it that much easier for you to win .gov business.

While I am loathe to say that this is capitalism gone awry (because I love capitalism), I suspect their ideologies are all about the money at the expense of our rights.

Also I would comment that there are more than a few people here who, while they won't shoot at SEG, shoot at BRA regularly.  Their logic is that while it's fine to hold anti-gunner campaign donations against a company, you shouldn't hold an owners vote for an anti-freedom candidate against a company. I personally don't understand that logic, but we all have our own limits, I guess.

Link Posted: 10/17/2012 12:39:41 AM EDT
[#28]

Easy to find out, just go to opensecrets.org and type in their names.  All of their political donations are listed there.

I looked at the money. Looks like SEG is giving money to people that could help them with government contracts.
I didn't see any money from BRA to either side. I have met the owner of BRA and he is very pro-gun. I didn't ask him why he voted the way he did, but after talking to him, I don't think he is a one issue voter like I am.  I also noticed that BRA doesn't seem to have any gov contracts.  I see Feds shooting there but they have membership cards like many of the other customers do.
I am not a big fan of the NRA range. I never felt welcome at SEG. While I may not agree with the owner of BRA, it is the only other option for me right now.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 11:52:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kcobean] [#29]
I received a PM via facebook this morning after a comment I made about shooting at SEG.  Prompted me to dig up some links for the guy to do his own homework and make his own decisions about SEG.  While I was digging, I came across Marquez' donations for the 2014 cycle.  Not sure if this info had been posted before, but he appears to be INCREASING his donations to dems and anti-gunners.

The hits just keep on coming.

http://www.campaignmoney.com/political/contributions/dario-marquez.asp?cycle=14

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#30]
It just never stops.....
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#31]
With a barbed wire wrapped fence post.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:08:29 PM EDT
[#32]
<insert>Zombie Thread pic</insert>

Holy back from the dead threads!
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tanker06:
<insert>Zombie Thread pic</insert>

Holy back from the dead threads!
View Quote

At least this one's still topical though.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Holy shit this pisses me off.

I'm almost to the point where I'd like to do an informational picket (on public property) and inform their customers just what dirtbags they are.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:
Most of them won't care. They would rather give money to someone who supports scum, just so they don't have to wait in line at another range.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By bulldog1967:

I'm almost to the point where I'd like to do an informational picket (on public property) and inform their customers just what dirtbags they are.

Most of them won't care. They would rather give money to someone who supports scum, just so they don't have to wait in line at another range.

probable truth.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 11:08:03 PM EDT
[#37]
That's why I don't shoot there.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By wmounts:

probable truth.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wmounts:
Originally Posted By bulldog1967:

probable truth.

The guy I provided the above link to replied back and said that info was enough for him to steer clear of the place. I'll call that a win.  What's disappointing though is that the FB post I commented on went on to have lots of discussion about shooting there.  VA-gunnut is right, most people don't care, and one guy even went on to provide a lengthy justification of why he still shoots there.  It was pretty pathetic.....all of it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Crazy stuff in this thread, good to know - thanks for those that shared the donations. I do shoot there occasionally but don't particularly like it. I'd rather shoot on my property. The pistol ranges are nice but one of the range jockeys, who always seems be working when I'm there, is insufferable. I don't know how the guy holds a job - let alone how this state allows him to own and carry a firearm.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:53:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By SLAPPYROOTZ:
... The pistol ranges are nice but one of the range jockeys, who always seems be working when I'm there, is insufferable. I don't know how the guy holds a job - let alone how this state allows him to own and carry a firearm.
View Quote

Hhrruuunnh?

Presuming that the purported ass-hat has not been adjudged mentally ill, or is a violent felon, etc. ....

... what business is it of the state?

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#41]

I looked at the money. Looks like SEG is giving money to people that could help them with government contracts.
I didn't see any money from BRA to either side. I have met the owner of BRA and he is very pro-gun. I didn't ask him why he voted the way he did, but after talking to him, I don't think he is a one issue voter like I am.  I also noticed that BRA doesn't seem to have any gov contracts.  I see Feds shooting there but they have membership cards like many of the other customers do.
I am not a big fan of the NRA range. I never felt welcome at SEG. While I may not agree with the owner of BRA, it is the only other option for me right now.
View All Quotes

I THINK BRA has government contracts where the armed agents train/test there, but they certainly have deals with private sector security companies that train/certify their guards there and those guards are contract guards for FPS.

-shooter
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:36:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scuba_steve] [#43]
If the only choices were BRA or SEG, I would go with BRA.
View Quote

Agree, but BRA sucks for rifles.  I am really thankful that the NRA is close by.

BTW, I went to SEG once before I was aware of the ownership's activities.  I had no issues at all with the employees, but the 50 yard range really sucked compared to the NRA.  Seriously, in almost every single way:

NRA:  Stapler at every shooting position.
SEG :  Two staplers that the entire range shares, because hell, $10 for a stapler is a lot to spend when you also have to budget for donations to anti-gun politicians.

NRA:  Huge stack of high-quality molded plastic chairs - more than enough for each lane for benchrest shooting or to set your range bag on.
SEG :  Two rickety folding chairs for the entire 10 lane 50 yard range.  You know, because 8 out of 10 folks shooting rifles like to do it standing up.

NRA:  Nice solid wheeled table for benchrest shooting in each lane...with a lower shelf for spare targets, ammo, mags, etc.
SEG :  Rickety fold-down plastic shelf in each lane.

NRA: Has a wide variety of benchrest devices that you can use.
SEG : Nada.

NRA:  Really clean and well lit.
SEG :  Felt like a dungeon.

NRA:  Plenty of room behind each shooter.  No problem walking around behind the firing line without interfering with other shooters...and plenty of spots to store gear.
SEG :  Very little room behind shooter before you hit the rear wall.  Almost no space to store gear.  When walking down the line, you are likely to bump into someone backing up out of their lane.

NRA: Separate entrance and exits to the range.  Never a traffic jam getting in or out.
SEG . One way in and out of the range...and in the small vestibule between those double doors is also the sink to wash up.  You may be entering at the same time someone is exiting and a third person is washing their hands...all with range bags.  It is a clusterfuck.

NRA: Nice large and clean hand sink right outside the range.  Two nearby unisex bathrooms as well.
SEG :  See above - sink in the entrance to the range...and did I mention that it was absolutely filthy when I was there?

NRA: Electronically controlled targets with a very easy to use interface, but the targets move slowly.
SEG : Targets fly down range, but the control panel requires far more button pushes and crashed constantly when I used it, which they told me would happen.  Constantly as in every single time I sent a target down range or retrieved it, requiring some strange key combination to reboot it each time.

NRA:  $15 an hour for NRA members; $20 for the GP.
SEG :   $25 an hour

NRA:  Supports the 2A.
SEG :  Supports those who would gut the 2A.

Any more questions?
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#44]
And with Elite in Manassas now open...:)
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 8:45:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nvcdl] [#45]
I vaguelly recall hearing about this place when it opened - seemed like a country club shooting range but did not know they were actively supportly the worse anti-gun Drems (Ken Plum is about as bad as you can find).

Seems to me that it would be a good educational effort if a picket line protesting the ranges political contributions was held with associated media coverage - when the weather is a bit warmer
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:30:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By nvcdl:
I vaguelly recall hearing about this place when it opened - seemed like a country club shooting range but did not know they were actively supportly the worse anti-gun Drems (Ken Plum is about as bad as you can find).

Seems to me that it would be a good educational effort if a picket line protesting the ranges political contributions was held with associated media coverage - when the weather is a bit warmer
View Quote

If this happens I will provide full video coverage.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Pat_Rogers:
View Quote

Elite is now a much farther drive for me but I will gladly go there rather than giving a dime to SEG.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:59:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By bowhuntr09:
I am a pretty regular participant in local IDPA matches, and I know people who have made the drive from Richmond to check it out BUT:

My money will NEVER be spent there.....PERIOD due to the owners political contributions.
View Quote

Same for Blue Ridge. The owner was on local tv talking up FBHO in 2008.

It's nicer to make the 45 min drive to Sharpshooters or Clark's for outdoor long-range time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#49]
We are fortunate to have great options. In no particular order, I shoot at:

1. Izaak Walton - Awesome for skeet/trap. VERY good for Rifle. A little less awesome for pistol because of the closest target being at 25 yards. I have never had an adverse run-in with the RSOs.
2. NRA Range - Awesome for pistol. Not too shabby for rifle, but I am always amused by people there shooting 100-600 yard rifles at 7-15 yards (I am talking about benched rifles, not folks running drills and such). Policy I find aggravating- "go to an RSO" to report all safety infractions. When someone points a gun at me, I call, "Dibs" on getting to react.
3. Elite Shooting Sports - shot there for the first time yesterday. It was crowded but organized. The staff was professional and helpful. Only downside was putting a request in for 50 yard lanes on their iPad and being assigned 25. Oh well - I didn't get much AR time anyway because we had some pretty inexperienced shooters with us. Loved the facility though, the air was cleaner than any indoor range I have been on, including NRA. Haven't shot on their 100 yard range with the camera/target system - will do that soon. Been there once, will be there more.

Places that are less interesting to me:
1. BRA - had a staffer point an MP-5 (airsoft, it turns out) at my head once. Also, the range has always felt a little bit too dark/dirty for me. Was a member there for awhile in the mid-90's, and am glad that most of the people who worked there then have gone off to other stuff. I hated feeling like I interrupted someone's soap opera to do something like spend money. I also hate having to have the magic password (and enter it all the time) to use the timer function on their target system. And I haven't even said anything about the owners politics.
2. Sharpshooters - I have shot there about twice. To me, this place is proof that any range can survive in NoVa. The range and shop could both use some modernization.
3. Clark Brothers - Haven't been there in a few years. Frankly, about 15 years ago I had two VERY negative reactions to the RSO. Apparently that guy is gone now, but I still don't make that hike. I used to shoot there once a week. Also, IWLA is far preferable to me for the quality of the outdoor range, not having to buy their ammo, and the personalities of the RSOs. Oh, and IWLA doesn't make every shot come from the bench for rifle folks.
4. SEG - never had my shadow darken their doorstep. Never will.

I consider it a good thing we have so many options. It is nice being able to "vote with my feet (or my $)" rather than have to give in to a monopoly.

-shooter
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 12:14:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Makarov] [#50]
Originally Posted By Pat_Rogers:
View Quote

ssssshhhhhhh!!!! I don't want my favorite place to shoot to become any more popular (and crowded)
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top