Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2017 7:31:48 PM EDT
My wife and I are originally from the south suburbs and will be staying with in-laws in Tinley Park.  Is there a place I can go shooting near there?  I would like to take an AR pistol and not sure of Illinois law concerning AR pistols or SBR's.  

Last two places I've been to that had an indoor range was a place in Chicago Heights and one in Glenwood (many years ago).  Do I have to have a FOID card just to shoot?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My wife and I are originally from the south suburbs and will be staying with in-laws in Tinley Park.  Is there a place I can go shooting near there?  I would like to take an AR pistol and not sure of Illinois law concerning AR pistols or SBR's.  

Last two places I've been to that had an indoor range was a place in Chicago Heights and one in Glenwood (many years ago).  Do I have to have a FOID card just to shoot?
View Quote

Depending on range policy, you will most likely at least need to be with someone who has a FOID card.  Some may require you to have one.

Not too sure about south suburb locations close to where you will be, but heres some places in the general area, although pretty sure some will be too far west of you.

Thinking Point Blank may be closest but not that familiar with most of these locations.

Plainfield  www.megasportsfirearms.com
Bolingbrook www.range355.com
Lansing www.pelcherguns.com
Plano www.rkagungallery.com
Hodgkins www.shootpointblank.com
Mokena www.shootpointblank.com
Lockport www.rinksgun.com
Oak Forest www.eaglesportsrange.com

A pistol is a pistol in IL law although some Cook County places could give grief for an assault weapon and their ban.  

Most likely problem I would expect is caliber restrictions.   A 9mm should be no issue indoors, but a .223/5.56 or other "rifle" calibers  might not be permitted at range.   Buffalo Range is outdoors and in Ottawa www.buffalorangeshootingpark.com

edit: As for SBRs, IL does permit to own if you have a C&R license, but absolutely no clue how the current law applies to a non resident.  Some ranges are opening that plan on having full auto for rental.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:33:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank You  
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I like Rink's. Good range fee, cheap rentals, no time limit as long as there isn't a wait, cool salesman, let you pick up your own brass, electronic target holders, etc.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:53:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I think it's insane that non-residents can't shoot at Illinois ranges.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:37:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think it's insane that non-residents can't shoot at Illinois ranges.
View Quote
They can at ranges with policies which allow people to shoot if accompanied by someone with a FOID...but I know thats not exactly what you meant.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought Rinks doesnt allow rifle calibers.  Point  Blank mokena would be close, the place is new and clean, and they allow rifle calibers.
    Not sure about the out of state regs, the staff there has always been pretty friendly every time I went.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:29:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Since your not a IL resident, take a drive to IN to Jasper/Pulaski range.  Its free and they have a 200yard range. No Foid required just sign in.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Just head to the south side of the city of chi and let er rip, everyone else there seems to be doing it...

I kid, I kid.....
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Since your not a IL resident, take a drive to IN to Jasper/Pulaski range.  Its free and they have a 200yard range. No Foid required just sign in.
View Quote
If going to Indiana, Willow Slough is also a good option.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I didn't bring any firearms with me except my carry pistol but my son and I went to Point Blank in Mokena just down the street from my brother-in-law's home in Tinley Park off of 88th ave.  We rented a Beretta M9A3 and went through a few boxes of ammo.    

I could shoot with an out of state ID but my brother-in-law couldn't shoot because he didn't have an IL FOID
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If going to Indiana, Willow Slough is also a good option.
View Quote
They just "upgraded" Willow Slough last year, so it's no longer free.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top