Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2017 1:09:15 AM EDT
You commies don't honor my carry permit so knives it is.

Any law specifically stipulating how many knives I can carry?

Are assisted opening knives ok?

Is blade length an issue?

I was hoping to bring two medium length assisted openers.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:25:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
You commies don't honor my carry permit so knives it is.

Any law specifically stipulating how many knives I can carry?

Are assisted opening knives ok?

Is blade length an issue?

I was hoping to bring two medium length assisted openers.
View Quote

We honor your CCL for car carry only.

Never heard of any quantity restrictions. Nothing at a state level.

Assisted are OK, at least I've again never heard of anyone having issues with one and Ive carried one for quite a while.  We've even got a bill waiting governor signature to approve autos.

Where are you going?   I guess Chicago has a 2.5" length law on the books.  State law may have some wording of carrying a  "dangerous weapon"  with blade lengths of at least  3"  but as I understand it  the code is usually written with regard of  intent to harm another.   There could be other local laws which tend to set a 3" length (see first link below), but the general thought is this is something not usually enforced but an add on to throw at someone who is aleady getting other charges.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

http://www.knifeup.com/illinois-knife-law

IANAL
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#2]
There is no state length limit per se; the 'deadly weapon' statute, as mentioned above, only applies when used with intent to harm another illegally.

In theory, you can open carry a Bowie knife, unless local ordinances preclude it, and that's the really tricky part; Chicago has a 2 1/2" limit, although I've never known someone NOT being charged with another crime to be charged for that. Many municipalities have ordinances on length, but generally they're applied the same way-only an 'add-on' charge if you're already doing something stupid.

For what it's worth, I've carried large (4" blade) folders with pocket clips throughout the state for 30+ years, and never (even in Chicago) been questioned. Of course, I don't carry them into metal detection points and such.

Larry
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for answering so promptly. I'm headed to southern IL, won't be anywhere near Chicago thankfully. Also maybe you guys know, since I'm flying into St. Louis I was hoping to run my foster son up to the top of the Arch, do they have any metal detectors at the bottom?
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 12:38:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for answering so promptly. I'm headed to southern IL, won't be anywhere near Chicago thankfully. Also maybe you guys know, since I'm flying into St. Louis I was hoping to run my foster son up to the top of the Arch, do they have any metal detectors at the bottom?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From the NPS description, it sounds like it:  https://www.nps.gov/jeff/planyourvisit/basicinfo.htm
Security Note:
Due to security measures at the Gateway Arch, all visitors to the Arch must pass through an airport style security checkpoint. No weapons--including firearms, knives, pepper spray, mace, or electronic weapons--are allowed. If you have pre-purchased your tram ticket, please arrive at least 30 minutes before your tram time.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone for the speedy information, it was very helpful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top