Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2017 8:49:56 PM EDT
For you Tannerite target fans, the Senate passed a bill requiring a FOID card to purchase/possess Tannerite (or other binary explosive compounds).

Passed out of House committee today 7 - 5 and on to full House.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=315&GAID=14&DocTypeID=SB&LegId=100255&SessionID=91&GA=100
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly kinda shocked you already didn't have to.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honestly kinda shocked you already didn't have to.  
View Quote
Never used it but seen it on store shelves and in some interesting videos.   Alledgedly it has managed to filter out some weaker specimens of the gene pool who tried using it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought this issue was already covered under the Illinois Explosives Act.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I thought this issue was already covered under the Illinois Explosives Act.
View Quote
Dunno...could be.   Even if it is Sen. Julie A. Morrison, Laura M. Murphy and House Rep. Deb Conroy feel more is needed.   Its passed the Senate and now on to second reading in the House.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:05:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Gunpowder and primers are covered under the Illinois Explosives Act, not 430ILCS65/et al.  Tannerite being a binary explosive mixture sold in two parts may not be covered under either act.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:03:08 AM EDT
[#6]
They want people to have a foid card to possess aluminum and instant cold packs?

How abut instead they try to actually fix the budget and stem the flow of top tax payers fleeing the state.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:50:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They want people to have a foid card to poses aluminum and instant cold packs?

How abut instead they try to actually fix the budget and stem the flow of top tax payers fleeing the state.
View Quote
Also expected to call FOID check line and maintain a 10 year record for personal transfer.   At least it looks like they amended to remove FTIP check to receive ISP approval when buying.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Why don't we just require FOID for all purchases in the entire state? Surely that will stop shoplifting and other types of crime.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I just read the text of the bill - I think this will effectively kill normal Tannerite sales in Illinois because nobody is going to want to keep 10 years of records for every $5 package of a product they sell.

This is, however, the definition of what they are regulating and so it would be relatively easy for retailers to avoid by selling the components separately.

For the purposes of this Section, "pre-packaged
11explosive components" means a pre-packaged product containing
122 or more unmixed, commercially manufactured chemical
13substances that are not independently classified as explosives
14but which when mixed or combined, results in an explosive
15material subject to regulation by the federal Bureau of
16Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives under Title 27 CFR
17Part 555.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#10]
This is the first I`m hearing about this how did it get this far without it being mentioned here?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is the first I`m hearing about this how did it get this far without it being mentioned here?
View Quote
Because no one posted about it?.  

Seriously, there were over 100 gun/foid/ccl and related bills, both pro and con submitted this session so far.  Takes an effort to follow what's going on in legislature and junk like gun dealer licensing took focus as well.

This one was submitted in Jan.  As with many of these bills they languish in committee and die. I'd guess maybe 20% made it to committee hearing. Apparently this sponsor worked enough votes and started moving the bill in late March/April getting it through the first chamber after amendments.  It seems to have been slowed on second House reading so will see what happens tomorrow.

Whoops...bill is up and being debated tonight.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#12]
From Illinois carry as I was unable to listen...

..."Rep Chapa LaVia ask about the genesis of the bill.

The sponsor answers that it's to prevent deaths.

It is supported by the Illinois Chiefs of police"...

Bill passes by  2 votes in the House 61 - 50.  Now to governor.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
From Illinois carry as I was unable to listen...

..."Rep Chapa LaVia ask about the genesis of the bill.

The sponsor answers that it's to prevent deaths.

It is supported by the Illinois Chiefs of police"...

Bill passes by  2 votes in the House 61 - 50.  Now to governor.
View Quote
I hate politicians.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:33:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I hate politicians.
View Quote
You may hate them more if you ever listen to legislative sessions.  For some of them,  lack of critical thinking skills and sometimes being downright embarrassing in their behavior makes one wonder how the state is not in worse shape.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Suprisingly, to me, this bill was vetoed today! I have not used it, but...

5/30/2017SenatePassed Both Houses
 6/28/2017SenateSent to the Governor
 8/25/2017SenateGovernor Vetoed

August 25, 2017

To the Honorable Members of
The Illinois Senate,
100th General Assembly:

Today, I veto Senate Bill 315, which would require purchasers of pre-packaged explosive components to hold a FOID card.

This bill is an unnecessary state regulation of a Federal issue. Tannerite, the target of this legislation, is a stable explosive that requires a high-speed bullet to detonate; purchasing the firearms and bullets required to detonate Tannerite already is regulated by the Illinois FOID card system. If Tannerite or other binary mix explosive components require further regulation, it should be done at the Federal level by the Department of Justice and its bureaus.

Therefore, pursuant to Section 9(B) of Article IV of the Illinois Constitution of 1970, I hereby return Senate Bill 315, entitled AN ACT concerning employment, with the foregoing objections, vetoed in its entirety.

Sincerely,

Bruce Rauner
GOVERNOR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top