Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2017 5:39:22 PM EDT
I've ordered my first firearm since moving to IL and I'm a little confused on the firearm purchase process in the Land of Corruption. In most other states (when doing a transfer), your local FFL receives your firearm from USPS/UPS/FedEx, then you drive over there, fill out the 4473, he submits the NICS check, you get an approval, and finally you drive away with the firearm in hand.

The process has been mostly the same in IL. The waiting period isn't a big deal because it will take a few days for the shipment to arrive. So far, so good...

My FFL sent a copy of his FFL to the seller, the seller shipped the firearm, and my local FFL received the firearm today. Easy enough. However, here's where the weirdness starts... My FFL received my firearm today, so I was expecting to be able to drive over there and pick it up today. NOPE! Apparently my background check is still pending and will likely be approved on Monday.

In IL, does the FFL submit background check information before the 4473 is even filled out? Will an additional NICS check be required when I go to pick it up? What's the point in having a background check if you already have a FOID (where a background check was done and is likely regularly checked)? Is this normal for background checks to take days?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#1]
My FFLs, have always called in after the 4473 was filled out, (which could be done before the gun is even shipped).  If you do it that way, the check should be done, by the time your firearm comes in, unless it's a handgun, and the seller ships it fast.
Some dealers, don't want you to fill out the 4473, until the gun comes in, if it is used, and may be sent back to the seller by you.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Illinois.  Checks are always backlogged I always get delayed .
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Illinois.  Checks are always backlogged I always get delayed .
View Quote
How long does it take for an approval?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How long does it take for an approval?
View Quote
It can take several days depending on how  backlogged they are , similarity in names/birthdates etc.   One misconception is they have to release after 3 days but not so.  In Illinois, once the process is started, the FFLs must wait for a response.

Some  people always seem to get delayed and others  never do.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It can take several days depending on how  backlogged they are , similarity in names/birthdates etc.   One midconception is they have to release after 3 days but not so.  In Illinois, once the process is started, the FFLs must wait for a response.

Some  people always seem to get delayed and others  never do.
View Quote
When I lived in MO, I got "further review" 99% of the time. In Texas, it was instant approval. Since my name is fairly common, I'm guessing that's why.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never seen one run a background before the 4473 since they get charged for the background check ($2-$3).

Illinois implemented an online system for dealers a while back, this has greatly improved the system and most of the time they get an instant authorization.

Dealers can technically release the firearm after the waiting period if the check has been delayed, most will not.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dealers can technically release the firearm after the waiting period if the check has been delayed, most will not.
View Quote
https://ispffl.com/Public/FAQ.aspx

What happens if a customer orders a firearm, and when he comes into pick it up, ISP issues something other than an approval on the FTIP?

The actual transfer of the firearm cannot take place until there is an approval from the FTIP system, regardless of when the agreement was reached. If the FFL receives a transaction number, they cannot complete the transfer until they receive an approval.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#8]
This is my first firearm purchase in IL. I wonder if that's why the check is delayed.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 7:59:58 AM EDT
[#9]
If your name is common, like William Jones or Mark Davis, it may take a bit longer for the approval to be issued if there was someone with a similar name and DOB in Illinois or your previous hometown who had legal issues.  

If you have ever had a legal issue that could have resulted in a criminal conviction, it could delay the process while records are being checked.

I picked up a firearm at a FFL last week and the approval took about 15 seconds.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#10]
What ffl did you use?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://ispffl.com/Public/FAQ.aspx

What happens if a customer orders a firearm, and when he comes into pick it up, ISP issues something other than an approval on the FTIP?

The actual transfer of the firearm cannot take place until there is an approval from the FTIP system, regardless of when the agreement was reached. If the FFL receives a transaction number, they cannot complete the transfer until they receive an approval.
View Quote
Could be wrong but I thought that Illinois plays by the ATF's rules.   ATF I believe states that if there is no response from the state, they can release after three days.   At least that's how my FFL explained it, however, he won't release without the states approval as well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#12]
My FFL submitted the background check on Friday (the day my firearm arrived). It was approved on Monday. When I picked it up, I just had to fill out the 4473 and pay the transfer fee.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top