Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2017 8:23:22 AM EDT
My wife is going to Chicago in a month for a business trip.  We live in Houston, so I’m not hugely worried about “going to the big city with all those murders” – as in Houston, I figure the crime is concentrated in bad areas.  I’ve lived in this crime infested town (so I see on the news) for 20 years and the worst crime I’ve actually witnessed with my own eyes are two bums smoking dope by a bus stop.

That said, local tips are always helpful.

She’s going to fly to Midway, and planning on catching a cab or Uber with some co-workers she’s going with.  Then staying downtown, and walking with the co-workers two blocks to another hotel for the class.  Dinner will be with the group, and she’s not going out to the clubs at night (at least I don’t think so!).

So:

Is Midway in a crummy area?  I’d think catching a cab or Uber out of there isn’t a problem, just like Houston where Hobby airport is in a not wonderful area, but the airport itself is fine.

How’s downtown Chicago, both in the morning say at 7, and in the afternoon/evening till say 8?  Plenty fine if you’re walking in a group of a couple, and just going to restaurants, and not staying out late?  Or should they cab/Uber it and not walk anyplace?

Any general safety tips?

And what pepper spray laws are in effect in Chicago?  Something stupid like not allowed by citizens, only by criminals?  Any size restrictions to the amount carried?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:48:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Ubering is your best bet from Midway. Shouldn't have a problem getting one. Taxis are fine too, just expensive.

Shouldn't have much problem walking around downtown, especially with a small group. Most of what she'll see is people hustling around for work. I try to avoid the public trans if I can, lots of

As for pepper spray, I couldn't say. Better to have and not need than need and not have?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Midway is crawling with cops, so no worries at the actual airport. The immediate area isn't particularly rough, although it's not too far from some rough areas; in fact, one thing about Chicago is that the 'bad' areas aren't really clearly delineated anymore. You can walk two blocks and go from solid middle-class to really challenged neighborhoods.

Downtown is big enough to have different areas within it; the West Loop (the densest business district) is well-patrolled and extremely populous during the day (say, 7A - 6P or so), but gets surprisingly empty after typical office hours. Traditionally, this area is relatively safe.

River North (where lots of the hotels are) is similar, although there are more residences and, therefore, more after-hour traffic. It's also got more night-life, which of course draws in more crime.

I'm not aware of any OC restrictions, but knives are theoretically limited to 2 1/2" blades within the city; that said, I've never known a person (not being arrested for something else, that is) who was even spoken to about a knife by a Chicago cop. Stun guns are, IIRC, the same as a gun.

Chicago has become a violent place, and the violence isn't quite as contained to the 'bad' areas as it used to be. We've seen violence on Michigan avenue in the past few years, something not common previously, and some crime in the loop has been increasing also. Essentially, encourage your wife to stay in groups, avoid walking where possible and not consider anywhere in the city really 'safe'; the bad guys have discovered cars, apparently.

Larry
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not just take the Orange line? I ride it almost daily and never feel unsafe. There are always plenty of travelers on the train.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 4:09:29 AM EDT
[#4]
She'll be good downtown during those times. It's just like any city. Know what's going on around you. And you'll know when you're in a bad area.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Stay away from the urban utes. Stay away from the urban utes. Don't engage in conversations with anyone walking the street. In that situation just say no or ignore them and keep walking forward. Don't walk with headphones in or just stare at your phone.

Downtown is littered with tourists, it's very simple to tell who isn't from the area.

You can have pepper spray and CPD isn't going to lock your wife up for pepper spray if it was illegal.

Enjoy your time in Chicago.

Stay away from the urban utes.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#6]
What hotel/area?

The bad areas are pretty damned easy to spot. I've spent plenty of time down there both armed and unarmed and been completely comfortable the entire time.  The crime that makes the papers is relegated to specific areas.

Of course, crime happens in "good" areas, but at a similar rate as it does anywhere else in the country.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 3:38:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Lot's of good advice here, as long as she stays in a group and everyone isn't walking downtown with their head in their phone they should be fine (seems like common sense but it amazes me how many people are walking and so into their phone that they are not aware of their surroundings). We do have some problems with roving groups of inner city scholars punching and robbing people, usually only attack lone victims like little cowards though so again, just stay in a group and watch surroundings. Tell her to check out Flo & Santos (1310 s. Wabash) if she has a chance, pretty cool little restaurant/bar (Excellent thin crust pizza and Angus Burgers).
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:53:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was just talking with a friend of mine that is CPD.  He was telling me that the number one crime in the downtown area is what they refer to as "apple picking".  I guess there are urban youths going around and grabbing cell phones right out of people's hands.  Tell your wife and her co-workers to keep their cell phones out of sight and to be aware of their surroundings before taking them out for use.
View Quote
One of these fuckers reached through my cousin's barely open (3") car window and yanked out his S7 while he was stuck in traffic. It happened so fast, my cousin did not realize what was going on until the guy was running away.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#10]
They need to make an app that turns the phone's battery into that of a Galaxy 7, immediately. It would be worth having to buy a new phone to be able to watch the guy running away with my stuff burst into flames, I think.

Larry
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Stay away from public transportation.  Stay off the phone,  look straight at their eyes when you feel threatened, always observe surroundings.   Do not dress in designer clothes or cary expensive purses. Do not underestimate the crime.  Tourist are easy pickings in downtown.  Always travel in groups and carry some protection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top