Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2017 12:31:24 PM EDT
I live in Lake county, not Highland Park, and tried to order some ak mags from centerfire.   The website wouldn't let me add them to my cart and gave an error message stating it was restricted.  I contacted their customer service and after an email exchange they explained that they have a restriction of not shipping any over 15 rd mags to Lake County.  Apparently their software is set up for a 10+ rd mag ban because it won't let me add 12 or 13 rd mags either.

I've lived in this county my whole life, is there some ban that sneaked in and I don't know about?  The only other company that ever refused to ship me mags was wideners, and they said they couldn't ship mags to the whole state of IL because they said so.

Anyone else in IL have the same problem?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Centerfire Systems? The restrictions on their website has some harsh wording for Cook County, but not Lake. Did you point that out to the rep?

https://www.centerfiresystems.com/t-restrictions.aspx

There's no county ban in Lake, just the local restrictions.

Edit: I've never ordered from them. I live in McHenry County. Maybe I'll give it a try at lunchtime.

Edit 2: I tried without logging in, and it let me get to the CC page even after entering a Lake County address. Wasn't going to order anything, so I cancelled that. I then created an account with my real address, and the system had no problem letting me add mags to my cart.

Does your ZIP straddle county lines? 60010, for instance, is in Lake, Cook, McHenry and Kane.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I pointed out to the rep that there was no restriction where I live and their site only lists restrictions for cook county.  They didn't know why the system was preventing me from ordering and had to ask someone else.  They came back saying that their policy was no mags over 15 rounds to Lake county IL.  They couldn't cite any law or ordinance, just said that was their policy.  It doesn't make any sense, I think Aurora is the only place with a 15 rd limit.

I live in 60047 which ends at the county line. I tried using different addresses without logging in, and a Libertyville address 60048 had the same problem.  It took mags out of the cart when I added the address and wont let you add more.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I went back and added my old Wauconda address to my account and set it to be the primary address. Bingo, the restriction popped up.

Sounds like they are in need of an education.

Edit: I emailed them about my attempt to order. They replied back that certain parts of Lake County have mag restrictions and asked for the part number and ZIP. I gave them 60084, part MAG0251. Let's see what they come back with.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, they emailed me back a couple hours ago and said they did some research and only Highland Park should have a restriction and they will try to fix it.

I think they probably screwed it up when they changed their website ordering system and blocked off too many zip codes.

Hopefully they get it sorted out.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:26:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I got an email back from them as well:

----
Good Afternoon

We are still working with our site developers on this issue. Please give us a call and we can place your order over the phone.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks

Centerfire Systems

1-800-950-1231
----

So, either the site developer works for MDA or it's just a glitch.  It's good to see that Centerfire is willing to work with their customers on this issue.  It sucks you got the runaround the first time, though.  As Negan would say on The Walking Dead, "That shit is not cool."
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Haven't bought from them since they stopped shipping ammo to IL because Lisa Madigan and when I informed them via email that her diktat had been overridden by the Legislature they replied telling me they didn't care.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top