Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2017 8:43:22 PM EDT
Please don't laugh at me and my stupid questions...I'm from the land of the free, home of the tweaker and car-jacker, and grew up assuming everyone's carries. It makes a Polite Society.

So my son and his girlfriend are headed up to Chicago next week to meet her extended family for the first time during a St. Patrick's Day family gathering. They are driving up from GA. He's very used to our laws here and has a GA carry license (useless in IL).  I don't feel comfortable with him driving that far without some protection.

He routinely pocket carries a S&W Bodyguard and always has a G17 in his vehicle. I'm pretty sure both weapons are a no-no to possess in Chicago? I assume his SBR and normal AR15's are a no-no too? What about a GI 30 Carbine or a pump 20 GA?

Please offer up your suggestions to keep them safe and out of prison.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#1]
My $.02 might be unpopular but here goes.  

Can he safely leave a firearm where he is staying -- in a lockbox or something?  Not sure if he will be in a hotel or with the inlaws.

If he is law-abiding with a good head on his shoulders I would send him with a pistol -- laws be damned.  But, he better be careful.

Some of the Chicago guys can answer the legalities better than I can but I think even as a nonresident he could legally carry a cased, unloaded weapon in his trunk (BUT I AM SPECULATING).

But, if he is a partier at all and you are not 100% sure I would advise him to keep the weapons at home.  A little weed in the car or a couple of drinks would most likely be the reason he would get into gun trouble.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:34:15 PM EDT
[#2]
He's a straight kid, makes me look like a saint. The alcohol will only be at Grandma's and a concert they are going to. He's not willing to break any laws and risk problems downs the road with a security clearance. I never had that problem.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I just returned from Chicago today. I didn't even bring my Benchmade. I almost felt like a criminal for having my Streamlight in my pocket
But tbey did have AR's for sale at BassPro in Gurnee.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just returned from Chicago today. I didn't even bring my Benchmade. I almost felt like a criminal for having my Streamlight in my pocket
View Quote

Gurnee aint Chicago and its not even in Cook Co.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:47:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never said it was. I was just shocked to see AR's sold in Illinois period. But yes we did visit Chicago while there and no I wouldn't visit it again. The rest of the area we visited was very nice.
I also had wondered about their laws pertaining to firearms prior to going, but all the info I found  online was written so vaguely that I decided to leave it all home and travel unarmed. Was not comfortable doing it though.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:38:16 AM EDT
[#6]
To the O.P.

Nut shell:

If he is legal to conceal carry in his home state, he can have a loaded handgun with him in his vehicle....It can't leave vehicle unless it is unloaded and enclosed in a case....so if staying in hotel, he can unload and stash it in suitcase until in room then reload.  Can have it loaded with him if on private property with their permission.
For a trunk gun...the pump shotgun sounds like a simple alternative...there are some bans on "assault rifles" etc. in the area up there so shotgun should be a happy maker...ammo can be with gun...just not in it.  It will need to be cased for transport.
If you have any more questions, just ask.

Mike
IllinoisCarry.com
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 2:21:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
To the O.P.

Nut shell:

If he is legal to conceal carry in his home state, he can have a loaded handgun with him in his vehicle....It can't leave vehicle unless it is unloaded and enclosed in a case....so if staying in hotel, he can unload and stash it in suitcase until in room then reload.  Can have it loaded with him if on private property with their permission.
For a trunk gun...the pump shotgun sounds like a simple alternative...there are some bans on "assault rifles" etc. in the area up there so shotgun should be a happy maker...ammo can be with gun...just not in it.  It will need to be cased for transport.
If you have any more questions, just ask.

Mike
IllinoisCarry.com
View Quote

@OP: this is sound advice. One caveat: if in a hotel they might have a no firearm policy. If yes, either 1) leave it in the vehicle, or 2) ensure it is unloaded - and not carried - in the hotel room. You might ask why #2 above? If it's in a suitcase and a loaded mag is next to it, it can still be helpful for an intruder and at that point he can claim 'ignorant tourist' which is preferable to dead tourist.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:43:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info. I'll get him over to that site.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#9]
@OP: this is sound advice. One caveat: if in a hotel they might have a no firearm policy. If yes, either 1) leave it in the vehicle, or 2) ensure it is unloaded - and not carried - in the hotel room. You might ask why #2 above? If it's in a suitcase and a loaded mag is next to it, it can still be helpful for an intruder and at that point he can claim 'ignorant tourist' which is prefererable to dead tourist.
View Quote

Actually, If hotel is posted, that means "no concealed carry".  It doesn't apply to your room which becomes your abode and you can have it loaded in your room.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Actually, If hotel is posted, that means "no concealed carry".  It doesn't apply to your room which becomes your abode and you can have it loaded in your room.
View Quote

Huh ... didn't know that. I know there are laws around temporary lodging becoming your abode so you can do certain things, but didn't think that protection applied to 2A infringement.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I have spent tons of time in chicago and all around it.

i would not worry about carrying there. st patties day is a big bash.

just tell him to becareful and keep his eyes open.

there will be cops everywhere during that event.

do not carry a pistol in chicago, that will get him in tons of trouble.

if they serve alcohol in any place most likely there will be a no guns sign due to them having a liquor license.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#12]
What part of Chicago matters dramatically. North or Northwest side are cop friendly, South or West sides are a war zones.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What part of Chicago matters dramatically. North or Northwest side are cop friendly, South or West sides are a war zones.
View Quote

To be honest, I'm not sure where he'll be staying other than with Grandma with the whole extended family who make it an annual reunion of sorts. I appreciate all the replies, sorry for not making it back quickly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top