Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2017 4:55:56 PM EDT
Growing up by the airport, BMI, in our city as a kid was awesome between the airshows and seeing the C-130's from Peoria do training runs.  The B-2 flew over the house during the initial publicity tour of airshows.  You could smell the Shockwave Truck from our backyard. Bad-Ass.
The most "tactical" knowledge I have is being able to ID the sound of a C-130 from inside the house

Anyhow, we've had maybe half a dozen fly overs by CH-47s the last couple months.
Any idea what unit they might be from?
I think it's cool as hell because it doesn't happen every day and they sound badass.  
I thought it must have been a good sound for a lot of GIs to hear.

We have an armory on the south end of town and a depot with some heavy trucks on the north side of town.  I wonder if they were doing fly-overs?  

I got lucky and actually saw a C-5 Galaxy circling pretty low around BMI earlier this month.  Cool to see what are rare birds around here.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:57:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Saw them all the time when I lived north of Peoria. I forget where they're out of.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:44:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Growing up by the airport, BMI, in our city as a kid was awesome between the airshows and seeing the C-130's from Peoria do training runs.  The B-2 flew over the house during the initial publicity tour of airshows.  You could smell the Shockwave Truck from our backyard. Bad-Ass.
The most "tactical" knowledge I have is being able to ID the sound of a C-130 from inside the house

Anyhow, we've had maybe half a dozen fly overs by CH-47s the last couple months.
Any idea what unit they might be from?
I think it's cool as hell because it doesn't happen every day and they sound badass.  
I thought it must have been a good sound for a lot of GIs to hear.

We have an armory on the south end of town and a depot with some heavy trucks on the north side of town.  I wonder if they were doing fly-overs?  

I got lucky and actually saw a C-5 Galaxy circling pretty low around BMI earlier this month.  Cool to see what are rare birds around here.
View Quote

I know Decatur has/had Blackhawks, but unsure if they have anything larger. I see the Chinooks as well here east of Springfield. Used to see a lot of .mil transports and the occasional F-15 practicing approaches at Springfield. Back in the '90s, it wasn't unusual to see a pair of A-10s pass through from time to time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#3]
A local Air Guard rotor head told me the CH-47's we see flying over the Peoria area are based out of Chicago.  I'll see them fly over the house, then follow the Illinois River back north.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:42:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A local Air Guard rotor head told me the CH-47's we see flying over the Peoria area are based out of Chicago.  I'll see them fly over the house, then follow the Illinois River back north.
View Quote
I saw a V-22  landing at O'Hare last time I dropped a friend off there but no CH-47 
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:47:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I saw a V-22  landing at O'Hare last time I dropped a friend off there but no CH-47 
View Quote

Some of the helicopter support personnel were relocated to Kankakee.  Perhaps they are flying out of there.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Peoria(army national guard) has Chinooks plus Shadow UAVs.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Peoria(army national guard) has Chinooks plus Shadow UAVs.
View Quote

I thought they were all fixed-wing for some reason.  Had no idea they had UAVs!  We had a Scoutmaster who runs PIA that would help out with the aviation merit badge.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I thought they were all fixed-wing for some reason.  Had no idea they had UAVs!  We had a Scoutmaster who runs PIA that would help out with the aviation merit badge.
View Quote

Gene?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top