Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2017 11:57:29 AM EDT
Hi guys,

Looking for any insight to help my move up there. Great job opportunity. I know, WHY??? Especially from Florida! It is a great job opportunity. Anyways, I found a place in Chicago's Near West Side.  3 miles from the office location. Near S. Western Ave and W. Roosevelt Rd. Somehwat affordable and includes a garage for my car. Going through the whole FOID thing, but I have to wait and get my IL DL first before I can even apply.
I am driving up and from what I understand, I won't even be able to bring a firearm with me correct? Would hate to drive 2000 miles without a gun. Have it shipped to me later on when I get the FOID? I do have my CCW from Florida, which IL does not care about though. Yep, will have to get rid of all my AR's?
Family will be moving up maybe 6 months later on.
Any help on what to watch-out for and where to stay out of will be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#1]
As many will say, live in a nearby suburb if you can. That way you can save money, keep your AR's, and not have to deal with Chicago taxes.

If I remember correctly there is some sort of grace period when moving here with guns and not having your foid card. Maybe someone else knows for sure how that works.

But if you are set on living IN chicago. You can't have your AR's, but you can keep them in a suburb. If you know anyone, you can keep them at their house, or some ranges like Maxon in Des Plaines, offer lockers for rent where you can store guns. If you have any NFA stuff, only SBR's are legal here right now. And yes you can have SBR's in cook county.

I currently live in an apartment in Chicago to be close to work (while saving for a house in the suburbs). I keep my pistols in Chicago, and I have a safe at my parents house in the suburbs where I keep my AR's, and other guns. So living in Chicago and being a shooter is possible, but no where near ideal.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:49:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Roosevelt & Western is WAY too close for comfort for my tastes, and there is no way in hell you want your kids going to school in the city.  Suck it up and commute from the 'burbs - Oak Brook, Hinsdale, Downers Grove.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, per that map, that first place would not be so good. I did find a place now in the middle of one of the blue sections. A little more money, but probably worth it being safer.
This one is located in Lake Meadows. Martin Luther King Dr. and E 35 St.
Appreciate the help guys. Anything to make the move easier is greatly appreciated by me and especially the wife. Who will be coming up here probably after I am settled in about 6 months. The we can probably move out to the suburbs and then bring my AR's.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok, per that map, that first place would not be so good. I did find a place now in the middle of one of the blue sections. A little more money, but probably worth it being safer.
Appreciate the help guys. Anything to make the move easier is greatly appreciated by me and especially the wife. Who will be coming up here probably after I am settled in about 6 months. The we can probably move out to the suburbs and then bring my AR's.
View Quote
sir,

Oh man, that is in the heart of the beast. Northwest Indiana is your best bet if you want to drive to work (traffic sucks in rush hour and parking is extravagant), else the suburbs in near DuPage, or over in Lake County (IL), then commute via Metra or CTA trains. When your wife is ready to come up, fly down mid-afternoon on a Friday and drive up in one vehicle, taking turns driving a few hours at a time.

This is the best advice I can give you. Illinois SUCKS. A poll a few years ago showed over 42% of the state's residents want to leave. I understand the money, but the crime, the schools, and especially the politicians of BOTH parties. The weather will be another factor. PLEASE just think long and hard.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Suggest to read the recent thread here on the TX move.

As long as you are not an IL resident and have a home state CCL, you are allowed to conceal carry while in your vehicle.  DTI IF asked.

Cook county will be a drain on your 2A freedoms and a cost to your pocket book.   As mentioned, look elsewhere like NW IN or collar county cuburbs like Dupage and commute if possible.  Metra does a good job moving people.  Not familiar with your new area so realize it may not be realistic.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

That map is just the homicides that have occurred so far in 17.

If you want the big picture look at the 16 full year map:  http://heyjackass.com/2016-deadliest-hoods/

Unless you want to spend big bucks you are going to have a lot of trouble finding a safe place in Chicago proper.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Well at least you'll be accustomed  to the humidity during the summer unlike the guy from TX.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, I read that TX thread. Thanks guys. I do have to make a decision this weekend. As of now, I am on the fence with a slight lean of NOT going. I guess probably better to regret not going than to regret going?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yep, I read that TX thread. Thanks guys. I do have to make a decision this weekend. As of now, I am on the fence with a slight lean of NOT going. I guess probably better to regret not going than to regret going?
View Quote
Sir,

I respectfully submit you are making the RIGHT decision. FL is a state that respects INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS and is growing in population, while IL is losing both rights and population. ChIraq is the tail that wags the dog and the DemocRATS control that tail like a whip, one that will leave marks and THEN they will pour on the salt in the form of taxes. Cook County blames its homicide problem on lawful gun owners and has created ammo taxes amongst others as a way to "control" things.

I know it sucks to turn down an opportunity and potentially bigger bucks, HOWEVER, in Florida, you still a chance and a choice to be an American. You owe that much to yourself and family.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#10]
12th and Western?!  NO way, never.

IL sucks, Crook County sucks worse, taxes suck, crime, corruption.  IL is so far into the red there's no way possible for the state to get back into the black short of having the entire state declare BK and start over.  

People leave this state in droves for a reason.  If I didn't have an elderly parent living here we would be gone.  If you do move stay out of the city, live in the burbs, commute via train.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#11]
re FOID card

430 ILCS 65/2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-2)
   Sec. 2. Firearm Owner's Identification Card required; exceptions.
(d) Any person who becomes a resident of this State, who is not otherwise prohibited from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm or firearm ammunition, shall not be required to have a Firearm Owner's Identification Card to possess firearms or firearms ammunition until 60 calendar days after he or she obtains an Illinois driver's license or Illinois Identification Card.
(Source: P.A. 99-29, eff. 7-10-15.)
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:56:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok. Most replies seem to say to stay away from the city and to live in the "burbs".
Can you guys name some of those "burbs"??
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ok. Most replies seem to say to stay away from the city and to live in the "burbs".
View Quote

Not just the city but Cook County which leaves you with collar counties of DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry and Will.

If you are planning on mass transportation vs driving that changes criteria.  I like DuPage which is good, but perhaps  not the conservative area it used to be after Dem map redistricting and people leaving Cook/Chicago.

Will let others more familiar give you ideas of specific towns given they know the area better where you are working.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would start here and find a town that is an acceptable distance from your job:

Metra Map

Others can chime in, but I'm familiar with the UP-West line. Anywhere starting in Elmhurst and heading WEST is fine. Some towns are better than others, schools, property taxes, etc., but past Elmhurst you are GTG (meaning you will not need to fear for those you love every time they step foot outside). Other lines will be similar - i.e. BNSF will be fine from Hinsdale further west, I just don't know all of them well enough.

I WOULD ABSOLUTELY NOT CONSIDER EITHER OF THE TWO PLACES/NEIGHBORHOODS YOU LISTED. Sounds like you ruled themout, but I didn't want there to be any confusion over this
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#15]
If you think IL is a place you want to live... Just remember this...

We have put more Governors in prison than any other state.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#16]
The two places you mentioned are shit holes. I'm not saying this from the typical ARF fashion because everyone here believes everything in Chicago is shit, I mean those places truly are shitty places to live.

If your set on Chicago proper, look north of Milwaukee (it's a diagonal street goes from NW to SE) and north of Belmont. Stay away from uptown in the far northeast of the city by Evanston.

The suburbs of Skokie (yellow line) Evanston (purple line) , Park Ridge & Rosemont (both blue line) all have CTA trains which can take you into downtown.

Chicago has a lot of offer, I wouldn't blow it off because everyone on her says it sucks. IM me if you want any advice
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm the "Moving to Chicago from Texas" guy. I think you'll get a lot of negative opinions about Illinois and Chicago on this forum because folks here are gun owners. I visited Chicago on several occasions when I lived in Missouri and I think it's a really clean and beautiful city. Obviously Illinois isn't the best place for gun owners, but for me, the positives outweigh the negatives. Chicago has two large airports that will take you anywhere in the country/world, public transit is great, the food is some of the best in the country, I'll actually have 4 seasons, and the cost of living is rather low compared to other large cities (check rent prices for Seattle, DC, San Francisco, or LA to compare)

I work in higher education and since Chicago has several colleges and universities, the job market will be much better for me in the long run. For my professional life, moving to Chicago seems like a no brainer. People have been telling me to just stay in Texas or live in the suburbs. But would you move from Illinois to Texas if it meant a salary cut of about half? Because that's why I'm moving... I'm getting a salary increase that's almost double. Only a fool would say "nope, I'm not moving because their gun laws suck". Even with a slightly higher cost of living, I'm still making WAY more money. And more $$$ = more gun and ammo purchases for me.

I just have to remember that guns are a hobby, while a career is my livelihood.

Taxes are higher in Chicago, but this is pretty much the norm for any large city. Things aren't exactly cheap in Texas either. Sales tax is close to 9% in some areas, my car insurance doubled moving to TX from MO, I have to drive twice as much, property tax is some of the highest in the nation, electric bills in the summer are $250+. Even with a salary increase, I actually lost money by moving here from Kansas City.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Poisson,

Thanks. Miami isn't the cheapest place to live. Far from the most expensive, but having some of the lowest salaries, it brings cost of living high. The offer is about a 45% increase in salary for me, but not just the money, also will be a great 401K, pension and more vacation time.
I have been to Chicago a few times during the cold and the hot. I love my guns and will bring them with me. (If I go). No problem living in Dupage county which I believe I will be able to bring my AR's, but I will research to be 100% before taking them of course. Crime is a big thing for me also, but if anybody watches the news here in Miami, there is a shooting and a killing EVERY DAY!! House invasion here and there, car jacking, etc. etc.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:55:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:42:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Maybe this is why "high paying" jobs are opening up?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Maybe this is why "high paying" jobs are opening up?
View Quote

Hey you, with the logic! Ain't nobody got time for dat!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:27:26 PM EDT
[#22]
From a job perspective, Chicago has some great opportunities.  Politics are as bad as it gets.  Can't get much worse than it is now.  Don't be discouraged from taking the opportunity, just be more selective with where you decide to live.  The areas you posted that you are considering are much less than optimal.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#23]
You mentioned needing to make a decision by the weekend so maybe this post is too late.

Chicagoland is unmatched. The vibrancy of New York City with a much more personal feel. You can get or do *anything* here - you just have to pay a bit more or drive a bit farther.

Safety is relative. Assuming an Anglo- ethnicity, you need to look at the expensive places in the city - no way around it. And it changes pretty quickly. If people tell you the area is currently unsafe, listen.

Schoools in DuPage are top nationally, commuter options abound (into and out of the city), and it is 'central' to Chicagoland. Plus, firearm regs are manageable.

Former city resident ... uless you are prevented from living in the suburbs, I would do it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Actually turned down the position. My existing emplyer made me a decent offer to stay, so I turned down the position in Chicago. They now countered the counter offer and are flying me up this weekend to check things out. Sooo, I am now flying up to check things out. Couple places lined up in the suburbs out west and a place in Lincoln Park that I am going to take a look at. We shall see what happens.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Actually turned down the position. My existing emplyer made me a decent offer to stay, so I turned down the position in Chicago. They now countered the counter offer and are flying me up this weekend to check things out. Sooo, I am now flying up to check things out. Couple places lined up in the suburbs out west and a place in Lincoln Park that I am going to take a look at. We shall see what happens.
View Quote

I live in the western suburbs, but I know Chicago very well. There are many safe neighborhoods in Chicago. If you have the money, there are great places to live. Anywhere on the northern Lakefront, downtown, and near North sides are good. If you have the money, living on the lakefront anywhere  from downtown to Loyola University is great if you like to bike, rollerblade or run. The Lakefront beach biking and running paths are 18 miles long and go all the way past the University of Chicago and the Museum of Science and Industry. Visit the U-505 Submarine at the Museum. The beaches are great in the summer and you also have the Lincoln Park Zoo which has a great exhibit for the apes and big cats.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#26]
If you look at a place in Lincoln Park and it doesn't come with a parking place, run away - very quickly. I lived in that neighborhood, 2000-2003 with a car I had to street park. Oh, what a headache.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top