Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2017 5:49:23 PM EDT
Will the Mossberg 590 shotgun be legal in Illinois?  It seems like it might not be legal under the Illinois Compliled Statues. Any legal minds have an opinion?

720 ILCS 5/24-1(7)(ii)

(ii) any rifle having one or more barrels less

than 16 inches in length or a shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or any weapon made from a rifle or shotgun, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if such a weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches; or
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Will the Mossberg 590 shotgun be legal in Illinois?  It seems like it might not be legal under the Illinois Compliled Statues. Any legal minds have an opinion?

720 ILCS 5/24-1(7)(ii)

(ii) any rifle having one or more barrels less

than 16 inches in length or a shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or any weapon made from a rifle or shotgun, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if such a weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches; or
View Quote

Not a legal mind.  Discussion on illinoiscarry about same thing.  Some think it is OK as IL considers it a handgun and OK because of overall length while ATF considers it "other".

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=64648&hl=shockwave&page=1
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:38:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Per fed regs it would be a "smooth bore pistol" Neither a handgun or a shotgun.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 1:08:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Just make sure that when filling out your 4473 form, that you mark the box as OTHER so that there is no problem.
When I ordered my Mossberg 500 pistol grip, my dealer marked shotgun and I had to show him the wording of
other, so he filled out new form. Some dealers never have used the other box.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#4]
So no one has purchased one yet ? Any seen in area gun shops?
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So no one has purchased one yet ? Any seen in area gun shops?
View Quote

Read someone checked with their dealer and they were not available yet as of a few days ago.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:56:33 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want one, go to Bud's Guns, click upper right corner and be put on the waiting list.
$389.00 includes shipping.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#7]
It defintely has the cool factor going for it, but the KSG is the same length and holds 15  2 3/4" shells.

Both require 2 hands to operate as well.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone see a problem at the range? I have a KSG and several other hicap shotguns that look like shoulder fired black rifles. The shockwave looks like a SBS and is fired from the hip most likely. Could cause concern with law enforcement types.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone see a problem at the range? I have a KSG and several other hicap shotguns that look like shoulder fired black rifles. The shockwave looks like a SBS and is fired from the hip most likely. Could cause concern with law enforcement types.
View Quote

This. As much as I would like one just to screw around with I really don't want to be the test case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top