Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/14/2017 12:38:57 AM EDT
I may be moving to Chicago for work. I'm actually pretty excited because it's a great job and I'll finally be out of Dallas (just wasn't a fan).

But I have one problem... I have many guns. Based on my research, it seems like I can move there and be okay, but as soon as I obtain my IL DL and officially become a resident, I have to apply for a FOID.

Are high capacity pistol and rifle mags okay? What about ARs?
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:27:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Re: the D/L and the FOID:  That's correct.  Get your D/L first, then you apply for the FOID.

When you say you're moving to Chicago, will you be living in the city itself or one of the suburbs?  Handgun laws are applicable statewide and preempt local ordinances, but there is a patchwork of limitations and AWBs for long guns in Chicago and Cook County.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:13:39 AM EDT
[#2]
It will be more firearms friendly living in the suburbs and commuting to Chicago, assuming you really meant the city itself and not the general area.    Even some of those suburbs have some specific laws on their books re AWBs.  We need more info, but the Metra rail system generally does a pretty good job of moving people into and out of the city.

BTW, FOIDs are probably taking a month or so to process although it can be longer and CCL 50-60 days with prints and 90-100 without.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#3]
@OP: congrats on the new gig!

The above is good info ... but as stated, we need more details.

Moving to "The City" (Chicago proper) or "Chicagoland" (which includes the suburbs and some say from WI border to NW Indiana)?
Office job or trade job?
Are you limited by county (the city is all Cook but Chicagoland includes 3+)?

I think you have questions about legal possession of long guns? If you're asking about CCL than there are more questions to ask ...
Assume a Texan has a car vs. no car?
Can you afford to drive and park daily?
Will you regularly use public transit?

After you relo, let us know so we can connect
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:29:12 AM EDT
[#4]
The job is at the Illinois Institute of Technology. I've never lived in a big city before (Dallas doesn't really feel that big to me), so I'd like to live in the city. Also, it will make my commute easier.

My car is paid for, so I'd probably just keep it and find street parking near where I'd be living. I think it would be good to have for Costco trips, etc. I'm thinking about living in the Bridgeport neighborhood.

People always talk shit about IL gun laws, but it seems like they've gotten a lot better. Handguns with no magazine capacity limits are allowed in Chicago, so that's good. And the state issues CC permits, although some of the off limits places are limiting. I'm just worried about my AR. Didn't Chicago (the city) have an AWB at one point?
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Before I left Chicago, I lived right next to IIT. As for the area around IIT, it is a generally safe neighborhood.

Housing...

Housing in Chicago is getting very expensive. A lot of gentrification is taking place. Areas that were once "undesirable" are seeing home prices skyrocket (some are into the million dollar range). Thirty years ago, housing was very cheap in those same areas.

Commuting...

If you choose to drive, the school is located right next to a major expressway (the Dan Ryan), however, traffic sucks on the Ryan (and the other expressways connecting to it).

Public transportation is excellent in Chicago. Should you choose to live in the city proper, there is the CTA (bus and electric rapid transit trains...ala NYC) that will drop you right at the school.
There is also commuter rail lines from the suburbs. In particular, the Metra 'Rock Island' line stops right at the school (it is the only commuter rail line that does); so, if you decide to live in the south or southwest suburbs, you can get on one train and be done. All of the other commuter rail lines converge in the central business district ('Downtown' or 'the Loop'). You can commute from other areas, but, you would have to take the CTA (or a taxi, etc) to get to the school from the train station.

I hope this helps.

EDIT:

I read the OP's last post...you could literally walk to work from Bridgeport.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:49:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The job is at the Illinois Institute of Technology. I've never lived in a big city before (Dallas doesn't really feel that big to me), so I'd like to live in the city. Also, it will make my commute easier.

My car is paid for, so I'd probably just keep it and find street parking near where I'd be living. I think it would be good to have for Costco trips, etc. I'm thinking about living in the Bridgeport neighborhood.

People always talk shit about IL gun laws, but it seems like they've gotten a lot better. Handguns with no magazine capacity limits are allowed in Chicago, so that's good. And the state issues CC permits, although some of the off limits places are limiting. I'm just worried about my AR. Didn't Chicago (the city) have an AWB at one point?
View Quote

Others please correct if I am wrong:
IIRC, Chicago still has a mag capacity (15?) law on the books, but in theory it has no validity due to state preemption..and it has not been challenged in court.   Also not aware of anyone charged with it.

Chicago still has an AWB afaik.   To not be in violation, you can own, but you will need to store outside of the city.   A couple of suburban gun stores do have locker rental.  You may find some LGS with policies limiting what they are willing to sell you because of the Chicago address.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:28:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Your better off not living in Chicago you`ll never find decent parking at least not cheap, and forget the high rent or buying a decent house to live in at a decent price. . I live 45 miles west in Kendall I would never live in that city. As far as guns your better off not living in Cook County.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:08:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Excited to be moving from TX to Chicago?

OP, are you out of your ever lovin' mind?

I've lived in Chicago. WHY would you want to live there? Finding street parking in Chicago? Hah!

Live somewhere in the south/southwest burbs.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Your better off not living in Chicago you`ll never find decent parking at least not cheap, and forget the high rent or buying a decent house to live in at a decent price. . I live 45 miles west in Kendall I would never live in that city. As far as guns your better off not living in Cook County.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I looked at Bridgeport on StreetView and see plenty of street parking. Is there something I'm missing? Funny enough, rent in Chicago is way cheaper than here in DFW. I'm paying around $1000 for a generic 1br apartment. I can get a better place in Chicago for the same price.

Quoted:
Excited to be moving from TX to Chicago?

OP, are you out of your ever lovin' mind?

I've lived in Chicago. WHY would you want to live there? Finding street parking in Chicago? Hah!

Live somewhere in the south/southwest burbs.

I hate Texas, well DFW at least. I haven't even been here a year and I was ready to leave after 3mo. No seasons, 105F summer temps for weeks at a time, you have to drive 10mi in awful traffic to go to the store, $150/mo car insurance rates for a single car because of illegals and people here cannot drive, and salaries aren't keeping up with the increasing cost of living. Rent here is very expensive, maybe even more than Chicago (in some areas), but it's fairly reasonable priced to buy a house.

Chicago has its problems, but I think it would be a better living experience for my personal tastes.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:46:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Had no idea the grass was so green on this side of the fence.

I hope your move is as pleasant as you expect.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Had no idea the grass was so green on this side of the fence.

I hope your move is as pleasant as you expect.
View Quote

Thanks!

I was actually thinking about something... Chicago might actually have some of the best gun laws out of all large cities in the US. The laws there are certainly better than NYC, LA, San Francisco. At least you can own a handgun!
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I've lived in the Chicago area all my 65 years. Have a large collection and a CCW lic. Nothing in Illinois law has prevented me for doing what interests me,
except getting into NFA collecting. I have and will never will live in Cook County,  on principle. I now live in the NW suburbs, one block outside the gulag.
The only reason to move here, that makes sense for a shooter, is career. When you're freezing your azz in the winter those hot summer days will look good. I'd move in a minute to warmer locations if wife would move away from kids. I worked in CC and my wife has her practice there, transportation system is good but if you're into MSGs stay out of CC, you don't want to become a test
case for a law that, so far, is not enforced rigorously.
Check in when you get settled and we'll meet up. I belong to a private club with all disaplines, outdoors, and many of us can show you the ropes with LGshops and public ranges
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:52:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Live in a suburb unless you don't mind not having AR's or have a place to store them in the burbs.

IL is also shall issue for concealed carry so theres no problem there. We can carry in Chicago.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Bridgeport is a nice area, at least it used to be when i was a little younger.
Check out heyjackass.com for REAL Chicago crime stats though. Seriously heyjackass.com.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 12:17:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Where you from originally?
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 3:39:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I loved Chicago. Lived in downtown proper for several years. Your handguns will be fine!.. Expect issues on any long gun thats not a bolt-action, pump-action, or lever-action though. You can get buy with 10 round magazines and a featureless rifle but the features are pretty restrictive.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#18]
poisson,

PLEASE do yourself a favor and live in the suburbs to commute. If you are referring to the IIT campus near US Cellular Field, look in Forest Park or Bensenville and commute on the Blue Line to transfer to the Red line on the CTA. Commuting will get old fast, but better than driving in traffic. Parking sucks in many places in the city, with fees that add up fast. (Thank Hizzoner Richie Daley II for that.) Stay in the suburbs where things are easier to get to. City cops like to stick their noses where it does belong, merely because they can. Long as you keep your nose clean in the suburbs, you won't be hassled.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 10:41:05 PM EDT
[#19]
You think its expensive to live in tx, you're gonna be suprised once you get here.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
poisson,

PLEASE do yourself a favor and live in the suburbs to commute. If you are referring to the IIT campus near US Cellular Field, look in Forest Park or Bensenville and commute on the Blue Line to transfer to the Red line on the CTA. Commuting will get old fast, but better than driving in traffic. Parking sucks in many places in the city, with fees that add up fast. (Thank Hizzoner Richie Daley II for that.) Stay in the suburbs where things are easier to get to. City cops like to stick their noses where it does belong, merely because they can. Long as you keep your nose clean in the suburbs, you won't be hassled.
View Quote

This is good advice although I'd go to Dupage or Will county, not Cook.

OP,

You can also take the train (Rock Island District Line) in from Mokena (lets you off 4 blocks away from IIT) or New Lenox.

Elmhurst, Lombard or Glen Ellyn also are decent towns to look at but that'll involve two trains (Union Pacific west to Red Line) with a minimal walk between them.

Or take the Heritage Corridor train and transfer to the Red Line. Lemont is a town to look at on that route.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:38:33 AM EDT
[#21]
You might see available parking on a map but wait till the snow falls and the parking ban is in effect.  IIRC once there is 2" of snow you have to find somewhere else to park so the street can be plowed.

Downtown?  Forget about it.  On a GOOD day you MIGHT find a spot within several blocks of your residence IF it's not snowing unless you find space in a lot.  

I grew up in Chicago about ten minutes from Comiskey Park and I would never live there again.  Between the politics, lack of parking, ridiculous housing costs, vehicle sticker fees and a plethora of other BS there is nothing appealing about Chiraq.

Live in the burbs, commute via train.  Stay out of Cook County and enjoy your AR's.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 6:56:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Ha!  You're coming to IL to live, and I'm moving to DFW because of this shitty communist state!

Good luck in Chicago.  Make sure you have your body armor on daily.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:42:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:27:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Some of you guys are funny!

I'm actually really excited about the idea of moving to Chicago. I'm still waiting on my contract to sign from IIT. I'll be making almost double what I make here in Texas. People think Texas is cheap, but DFW has gotten really expensive. The $200K starter homes are gone! I'm currently paying about $1000/mo for a 1br apartment and I'm really underpaid for what I do, so I have no choice but to move. Most of the 1br I've seen around IIT have been about that same price.

I'm thinking about commuting to work, but I'm really looking for a place within walking distance, and I really want a "city" living experience for once. Bridgeport is a mile or less away and being able to walk will be awesome.

Illinois gun laws have gotten SO MUCH better over the past few years. Maybe in another few years they will eliminate the FOID and prohibit AWB.

Quick question about the Chicago AWB. It appears as if having an "assault weapon" in Chicago isn't breaking the law. But if you are caught with one, they have the power to seize it: "Any assault weapon carried, possessed, displayed, sold or otherwise transferred in violation of this section is hereby declared to be contraband and shall be seized by and forfeited to the city" -- I wonder if I can just store the upper and lower separately?

Also, if I keep my Texas DL, am I still technically a Texas resident? I only have to worry about a FOID until I get an IL DL, right? I'll probably try to do that right away so I can apply for the CC permit.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:27:35 PM EDT
[#26]
poisson,

I just PRAY you fully understand what you are thinking about getting into.

Chicago proper can only offer you places to come visit, then you can GO HOME to the suburbs. Chicago is a VERY pricey place to live: highest sales tax in the country with Cook County going at 10.5%; they are looking at taxing ranges and other venues for income. Trust me, about 42% of the entire state wishes to leave, and that was confirmed in a poll done a few years back. Chicago PD has tried everything it can to hide the crime rate here, but the facts do not lie; Chicago is ANYTHING but a decent place to live.

Personally, you should look just across the border in northwest Indiana. You will have a shorter commute to work, PLUS you will have cheaper gas and all kinds of DECENT firearms laws. PLEASE do yourself and your family a favor, just go to the DuPage suburbs, else look in Northwest Indiana, for a better life and lifestyle. I do mean all of this sincerely. Why else would folks who live here tell you the same stuff?
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:33:42 PM EDT
[#27]
poisson,

The Chicago machine politicians will NEVER give up on the FOID card (a source of income). Dude, the pols said the fees on the toll roads were "temporary." "Temporary" has lasted over forty years and the tolls get increased every few years to boot. Those same pols will take your firearms without a thought. "Assault weapon" bans are done here merely to thumb their noses at what they consider "peons" and "rabble." Honest to the Almighty, PLEASE take the advise of folks who live this crap daily. Your sanity and safety depend on it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:57:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Isn't NW Indiana like 100x worse than Chicago? I've never heard anything good about Gary.

It looks like rent for a safe place in Bridgeport will be almost exactly what I'm paying in here in DFW. I'll end up with a 50% salary increase if I decide to make the move, and I'll be able to walk to work and live in a big city. I'm in my late 20s and am really tired of living in the suburbs.

I enjoy my shooting hobby, and moving to Chicago won't affect it that much. I can still buy all the pistols I want with no mag capacity limits, I can still get a CC permit (which is essentially useless during the day because I'll be working on campus), I can still reload. About the only issue I see is with AR-15s.

For comparison, I just turned down a job in the Baltimore area. Maryland gun laws and crime are about 5x worse than Chicago. No way I'd be happy there.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#29]
poisson,

In northwest Indiana, looking into Munster, Whiting and a few other towns. Gary is a hole, so do not look so far east. I do understand about the "adventure" aspect of moving to ChIraq, but the negatives can offset the "positives" regarding firearms. I also suggest watching your language at work too. You mention firearms and someone is going to complain to management. Heck, a few years ago, a woman overheard two co-workers talking at their worksite about ARs and she reported to the cops about "weapons of mass destruction."

I am now begging you. PLEASE consider every option before you make the move to live in the city. At your age, yes, it is all fun and nightlife, but "perks" fade really fast.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
poisson,

In northwest Indiana, looking into Munster, Whiting and a few other towns. Gary is a hole, so do not look so far east. I do understand about the "adventure" aspect of moving to ChIraq, but the negatives can offset the "positives" regarding firearms. I also suggest watching your language at work too. You mention firearms and someone is going to complain to management. Heck, a few years ago, a woman overheard two co-workers talking at their worksite about ARs and she reported to the cops about "weapons of mass destruction."

I am now begging you. PLEASE consider every option before you make the move to live in the city. At your age, yes, it is all fun and nightlife, but "perks" fade really fast.
View Quote

Here's what I'm thinking I'll do. Live in the city for a few years, have some fun, enjoy walking to work. Then when I'm ready to buy a place of my own, I'll look into some places further away.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 2:25:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Here's what I'm thinking I'll do. Live in the city for a few years, have some fun, enjoy walking to work. Then when I'm ready to buy a place of my own, I'll look into some places further away.
View Quote

In Texas?

Good luck with your decision.  If you do decide to come up here, welcome to the area!  Please let us know how your choice works out, too.  We all want to hear of great success, but if it doesn't work out, we'll try to keep the "I told you so" comments to a minimum.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:31:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#33]
*Looks for the LIKE button for Roadhawk's post*
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#34]
+1 on NW Indiana.  I live in IL and work in NW IN. If I could move, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Yes, Gary is bad, but I feel safer there than when I have to work in Englewood or Altgeld Gardens.

No one is suggesting moving to Gary, though. Crown Point, St. John, Valparaiso all are great towns.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#35]
OP,

Wow, just wow.

So, how many shooting ranges have you found in your desired area? How many have open membership?

You do realize that all this white stuff that falls from the sky does not get cleared off all sidewalks before 7 am. And enjoy your walk to work when its -20°F. Go to the corner beer store and stand in the walk in cooler in the back for 15 min. That will give you a taste.
Summers are 95°F + 95% humidity. You think 105°F sucks, you'll be praying for that dry heat by August 1st

Remember what you're being told, guns are part of the Texas culture, EXACT FUCKING OPPOSITE in Illinois.

As others have said, good luck finding a place to park your car. And if it is several blocks from your apartment/house, are you going to carry your AR in a case several blocks down the sidewalk? Wanna guess how many "man with a gun calls" will be made? Unless you want to try double parking out front.

Just curious how you can say others have lower crime rates, when Chiraq (seriously think hard about how it got this name) has the highest murder rate in the WHOLE country?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
OP,

Wow, just wow.

So, how many shooting ranges have you found in your desired area? How many have open membership?

You do realize that all this white stuff that falls from the sky does not get cleared off all sidewalks before 7 am. And enjoy your walk to work when its -20°F. Go to the corner beer store and stand in the walk in cooler in the back for 15 min. That will give you a taste.
Summers are 95°F + 95% humidity. You think 105°F sucks, you'll be praying for that dry heat by August 1st

Remember what you're being told, guns are part of the Texas culture, EXACT FUCKING OPPOSITE in Illinois.

As others have said, good luck finding a place to park your car. And if it is several blocks from your apartment/house, are you going to carry your AR in a case several blocks down the sidewalk? Wanna guess how many "man with a gun calls" will be made? Unless you want to try double parking out front.

Just curious how you can say others have lower crime rates, when Chiraq (seriously think hard about how it got this name) has the highest murder rate in the WHOLE country?
View Quote

In regards to the shooting ranges, I guess Chicago won't be any different than living here in Dallas. There aren't any good outdoor shooting ranges here (unless you drive an hour), and indoor ranges are a 40+ minute drive away from where I live. Funny enough, I've only been to the range one time since I moved here. Having those state funded ranges in Missouri was SO MUCH better.

LOL @ the heat thing. Dallas doesn't have dry heat at all. Dallas has a humid subtropical climate, albeit it's not as humid as Houston. Before I moved here, I thought "well, Missouri get a few 100 degree days, I'll be fine." Yeah, but I didn't realize that it's 100+ degrees in DFW for WEEKS at a time and it stays 90+ until midnight. I tried changing my oil in September and was drenched in sweat after 30mins. I went to a conference in Chicago in July this past summer and it was refreshing compared to Texas heat. I miss having actual winter like I had in Missouri.

Chicago does have a bad crime problem, but it's mainly in select neighborhoods. I lived in a sketchy area of Kansas City and never had a problem, but my car was broken into in a small town in Missouri with almost no crime. Go figure...

Who knows, maybe I'm making a mistake? I didn't realize I was making a mistake about moving to Texas until after I made the move. But regardless, it's a significant salary increase for me and opens up more doors for the future. Life is all about new experiences. If I made the wrong decision, I can always move elsewhere, but still enjoy the time I had in Chicago.

Guns are just a hobby for me and without a decent paying job, I can't even buy guns or ammo at all.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, you might not want to hear this but....

The best and worst decision I ever made was to move to Illinois.  I've done very well financially but at a big price in terms of quality of life.  I moved here 14 years ago.  I thought I would stay 3-4 and get out.  It didn't work that way.  Now, my kids have grown up here and I am stuck for at least 3 more years.  

If I had it to do all over again I would have worked less, made less money, and lived somewhere else.  The only thing that keeps me sane is my land in Wisconsin.  Shoot me an email if you would like to talk.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:49:00 PM EDT
[#38]
IMHO if you want to like Chicago, you'll love it. If you feel compelled to hate it, you'll find plenty of those reasons, too. I did the flip - moved to downtown Austin (Barton Creek so a forest 2.5mi from the capital building) from downtown Chicago (across LSD from Soldier Field) - and I miss it dearly. Yeah I don't have to wait two days to get a rifle here or flash my FOID when I buy ammo. I could also get a suppressor or SBR if I wanted to wait a year to do so. But I'll be damned if there's any perspective of our cityscape that comes close to the view of Chicago from Grant Park. Or food choices that rival most anything in the River North area (sans BBQ of course) or entertainment! Nature, on the other hand, you have to really work for.

Plus you'll love the homeless population in Chicago!.. Compared to TX at least.

Also Chicago trick shot: Hanguns were preempted by the state so they're kosher. Most semi-auto rifles and shotguns are banned... but anything pump or bolt-action is fine! Yeah it sucks that you can't keep your AR downtown but there are a fuckton of other toys that'd make government types' heads explode (poor choice of words?). UTS-15/KSG and a Desert Tech SRS would be a nice, Chicago compliant, start
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#39]
There is no point of moving to Illinois if your going to move to a suburb IMHO.

The whole state seems to lean to benefit Chicago. Taxes suck, laws suck, everything kinda sucks.

Here are my gripes about the suburbs of Chicago.

1) The suburban people always seem to plan their trip to Chicago months in advance and plan out their day just like they are Chinese tourists taking pictures of everything.

2) They decorate their houses with Chicago decorations. Pictures of the skyline, Chicago shirts etc.

3) The suburban nightlife is non existent if your young. There are no walking distance bars, someone always seems to drive.

4) Chicago has great food and a plethora of stand alone restaurants. The suburbs has chain restaurants and knock off's of Chicago restaurants (see #1 when a friend plans a trip to Chicago a month in advance to visit a restaurant)  It kills me when a friend is excited to revisit their favorite chain restaurant which consists of driving 30 minutes to another suburb.

Enjoy the move. Send me a PM if you want.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
There is no point of moving to Illinois if your going to move to a suburb IMHO.
View Quote

Yeah, I wouldn't even bother making the move if I were going to live in a suburb. I live in a suburb in Dallas (well, the entire metro feels like a suburb) and I hate it. 5 miles to the store, stoplight after stoplight after school speed limit zone.

I was actually up in Chicago over the weekend to find a place to live. I found a nice 2br apartment in Bridgeport. It's right near a police station and walkable to many shops and restaurants. I was only there for a few days and I already know it beats the pants off of Dallas, at least for someone who isn't interested in having a McMansion and having a good school district.

Obviously everywhere has pros and cons. Chicago has high taxes and an anti-gun mentality, but everything else about the city is awesome. I saw some of the high taxes myself. I bought an Arizona tea downtown at CVS and saw the sales tax rate at 13%. That must be the 10% sales tax, plus the soda tax.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yeah, I wouldn't even bother making the move if I were going to live in a suburb. I live in a suburb in Dallas (well, the entire metro feels like a suburb) and I hate it. 5 miles to the store, stoplight after stoplight after school speed limit zone.

I was actually up in Chicago over the weekend to find a place to live. I found a nice 2br apartment in Bridgeport. It's right near a police station and walkable to many shops and restaurants. I was only there for a few days and I already know it beats the pants off of Dallas, at least for someone who isn't interested in having a McMansion and having a good school district.

Obviously everywhere has pros and cons. Chicago has high taxes and an anti-gun mentality, but everything else about the city is awesome. I saw some of the high taxes myself. I bought an Arizona tea downtown at CVS and saw the sales tax rate at 13%. That must be the 10% sales tax, plus the soda tax.
View Quote

You could live anywhere near a CTA train and make it to work easily. Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Lincoln Square....... there a bunch of places if your into places to walk to. Generally everything is nicer the more north you get in the city. The South Side isn't great like it was back in my grandparents day.

It's not rocket science to figure out, Chicago has a predominantly black crime problem, stay away from the heavily black populated areas. Youll be fine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
poisson,

The following is a true story. I am NOT lying.

About 25 years ago now, a fellow TKE fraternity brother and friend of mine had a great apartment in the city just west of Addison Avenue and Marine Drive. It was half a mile east of Wrigley Field and a quarter mile away from a police station, which was later torn down. It seemed like a great area: grocery store around the corner, and another TKE had his boat moored on Belmont Harbor less than a quarter mile walk on a path under Lake Shore Drive during the summer. Life was grand.

One windy late winter night, my friend was asleep in his room, while his roommate was asleep in his, across the hall. Both bedroom doors were closed. My friend was awakened by a banging noise, but since it was windy, he just thought it was the wind violently closing a dumpster lid. About five minutes later, the door to his bedroom slowly opened, awakening him. He called out saying "(Roommate's first name), you okay?"

The shadowy figure in the hallway said, "OH CRAP!," and hightailed it out.

My friend and his roommate both woke up and follow the intruder out. The jackass had kicked in the lower door panel of the back door and slipped in the apartment through that opening.

I went there the next day. My friend had patched the hole with 0.75" plywood screwed into the door, and nailed a 2" x 4" to the floor and the door to brace it. Now both my friend and his roommate had girlfriends, who luckily were not there that night.

Turned out two previous tenants, two female flight attendants, were RAPED in that apartment. Landlord had kept his mouth shut merely to get the unit rented.

And THIS happened in one of the "good" parts of the city a quarter century ago. Crime has gotten worse in the ensuing years.

It appears you are a single male. Fair enough. Just please watch for your own safety. Get your FOID ASAP, then get your CCW immediately after. Sleep with your sidearm in the nightstand beside you. Watch yourself. Stay alert and prepared. You are now going into the very belly of the beast. Just do all you humanly can to prevent that beast from eating you alive.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#43]
I thought I should update this thread since I've been in Chicago a little while.

I'm have to admit that I absolutely LOVE Chicago. I can't see myself living anywhere else. I really can't believe I'm saying that as I hated this place in years past because of the gun laws. The food here is the best, I don't have to drive 15mi to the store (actually, my car has only been driven about once a week since I moved here), the cost of living is pretty cheap for such a big city, and there is something to do every second of the day. The gun laws are lame, but they could be worse. At least I can buy all the handguns I want. The little taxes like soda tax, plastic grocery bag tax, and gun/ammo tax are annoying as well, but easy enough to avoid.

Oh, I went to the DMV (or as IL residents say: Secretary of State office) in the Loop to get my drivers license and was in and out in 30 minutes. I was in shock. I had to wait 2hr in Texas.

Can anyone recommend some good ranges somewhat near me? I'm seeing Midwest Guns & Pistol, Point Blank Range, and a few in NW Indiana.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:31:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I thought I should update this thread since I've been in Chicago a little while.

I'm have to admit that I absolutely LOVE Chicago. I can't see myself living anywhere else. I really can't believe I'm saying that as I hated this place in years past because of the gun laws. The food here is the best, I don't have to drive 15mi to the store (actually, my car has only been driven about once a week since I moved here), the cost of living is pretty cheap for such a big city, and there is something to do every second of the day. The gun laws are lame, but they could be worse. At least I can buy all the handguns I want. The little taxes like soda tax, plastic grocery bag tax, and gun/ammo tax are annoying as well, but easy enough to avoid.

Oh, I went to the DMV (or as IL residents say: Secretary of State office) in the Loop to get my drivers license and was in and out in 30 minutes. I was in shock. I had to wait 2hr in Texas.

Can anyone recommend some good ranges somewhat near me? I'm seeing Midwest Guns & Pistol, Point Blank Range, and a few in NW Indiana.
View Quote

I live on the west side of the state so I cant help you with any Chicago questions but Im glad to hear you like it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dont know if near to you but you will need to go outside of Chicago.  Theres love and hate for these...some generating more emotion than others.  Probably missing some.

Article II in Lombard (before Marie arrives to post burn it to the ground and salt the earth )
Maxons in Des Plaines
Midwest in Lyons
Gat Guns in E Dundee
MegaSports in Plainfield
Range at 355 in Bolingbrook
On Target in Crystal Lake
Point Blank in Hodgkins and Mokena
JRs in Aurora
Eagle Sports Range in Oak Forest
Chucks Gun Shop in Riverdale
Pelchers in Lansing
Rinks in Lockport
Caliber Gun Range in Waukegan
RKA in Plano
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:56:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't forget to get your FOID card and if you want it FCCL.

I'm within spitting distance (figuratively speaking) Rinks which has just remodeled their range, always a decent place to shoot. Point Blank is very nice, more pricey.

If you want an outdoor public range you'll have to drive out to Buffalo Range or a range in IN or WI.

The SoS office is just about the only office that works right in IL.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Good to know Poisson.
I should be moving up there within a month.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Thought I should update this again! I've been living in Chicago for almost three months now and I still really like living here. It's fun going out places and eating good food. The gun laws haven't bothered me too much. I was able to bring everything with me from Texas. I've got my FOID and am still waiting on the CC permit.

There are many things better here compared to Texas. I can take public transit, walk, or ride my bike. The selection of amenities is unbeatable. And it's nice not roasting in April and May (it's already up to 90 degrees in Dallas).

On the other hand, there are a few negatives. The damned panhandlers and homeless people here are relentless. I have no idea why something isn't done about that. The amount of sketchy shit I see is much higher compared to Dallas. But I suppose that's because everyone drives in Dallas, so you don't really see much from your car.

All of this being said, I haven't yet decided if Chicago is the place for me long term. I'm fine renting, but when it comes time to buy a home, I'm not sure if I like the idea of buying a condo or small bungalow. If I ever decided to move elsewhere, it would be VERY difficult to leave behind the big city amenities.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#49]
redacted
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Bridgeport is a nice area, at least it used to be when i was a little younger.
Check out heyjackass.com for REAL Chicago crime stats though. Seriously heyjackass.com.
View Quote

As I understand it, Bridgeport has changed and not for the better.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top