Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2017 11:29:52 AM EDT
Starting a new thread for the final push this session

Per a post from Todd V on illinoiscarry

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=64050&p=1060352

"we are working to bring it to a vote on the 10th start calling your senators and ask that it be brought up for a vote and they support the bill"

Update 1 Jan 9

Not called today.  Some Dems going back on gentlemens agreement to call for a vote.  More info in posts below  from  today

Update 2 Jan 10

Things fell through but our side has a plan and will be reintroducing the bill tomorrow in the new session.   See Todds message below

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_23/609112_.html&page=1#i6727960

Update 3 and most likely final one for this thread. Jan 11

Below find a message from Todd V, NRA lobbyist for Illinois, posted over at illinoiscarry
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 1:53:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Called today
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 11:44:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Called today
View Quote
This. Lets get it done guys. 
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 12:37:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Sent an E-mail, will follow up with a phone call!
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Since IllinoisCarry is down, work the phones and email!
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Will be making a push tomorrow.  Fingers crossed this gets done.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Recalling from the last session. Send a message on the Tweetter or Bookface too.

If the opposition can do it, no reason we can't.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Recalling from the last session. Send a message on the Tweetter or Bookface too.

If the opposition can do it, no reason we can't.
View Quote

twitter addresses at @ILSenateGOP and @ILSenDems in addition to your individual Senator
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Just got an Email from the ILA lets go guys. Call those congress critters and send those Emails. 
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's a quick link to get emails out via NRA.

NRAILA sb206 email alert
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

twitter addresses at @ILSenateGOP and @ILSenDems in addition to your individual Senator
View Quote

Just dusted off my twitter account for that....

#SB206

Brady's are out pounding on that right now...  might be good to hit there.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Hit and hit
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Do I call the Springfield office or his local district office? Or both
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#13]
E-mail sent a couple of days ago, just go off the phone with my State Sen. he's good to go!
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do I call the Springfield office or his local district office? Or both
View Quote

While I expect either would work, since the Senate is in session today and tomorrow, I'd guess the message would get through quicker if you called the Springfield office.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 9:43:04 PM EDT
[#15]
News in from Todd on the suppressor bill, SB 206.  Illinois State Senator  and rural Democrat from the Urbana/Danville area, Senator Bennett, is being a major obstacle to moving the suppressor bill forward.  He has an A+ NRA rating but isn't cooperating on this bill.  He is supporting shotguns only.  Blow up his phone line are the walking orders.  Tell him his A+ rating is only good if he votes with the NRA on bills.  His number is P. 217.782.2507
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 11:38:50 PM EDT
[#16]

http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=23254

Today proved a trying day for the good guys in Springfield.  Going into the day, we had a gentleman's agreement with Senate leadership to give the Suppressor Bill a free and fair vote on the Senate floor before the end of session.  Senate President John Cullerton looks as though he's reneging on that agreement.  What's more, Senator Don Harmon and quite possibly Cullerton himself are pressuring fellow Democrat Senators to back off their earlier support for the bill.  One of these Democrat Senators, Scott Bennett of the 52nd District (Champaign/Danville area) initially voted for the bill back in April 2015.

I spoke with Senator Bennett this morning, along with the NRA-ILA's Shannon Alford.  Bennett "clarified" his support saying he was okay with suppressors for long guns while hunting, but he was dead set opposed to suppressed handguns and he didn't really see a need for allowing suppressors at shooting ranges.  He trotted out his A-rating from the NRA proudly, and said if he had problems with the bill as an A-rated candidate (2nd mention of his rating), then he imagined a sizeable majority of the Senate Democrat caucus felt the same.

In short, Senator Bennett's NRA A-rating looks as though it's fast going up in smoke.  You can't be pro-gun if you don't vote pro-gun.  You won't keep good ratings if you don't support gun rights.  Suppressors are legal in 42 states, including every state between California and the East Coast – except Illinois.  Bennett's apparently new-found objections precluding his support are excuses.

Illinois State Senator Scott Bennett is playing with fire.  It's time gun owners apply some heat to Senator Bennett's feet.  After all, the famous Illinois Senator Everett Dirksen once said, "When I feel the heat, I see the light."  

Call Senator Bennett's Springfield and Champaign offices.

Springfield Office:
Senator 52nd District
218B Capitol Building
Springfield, IL   62706
(217) 782-2507

District Office:
45 E. University Ave, Suite 206
Champaign, IL  61820
(217) 355-5252
(217) 355-5255 FAX

There are a couple of other Democrat Senators who are in the same boat, and we'll find out Tuesday if they've seen the light.  If not, they will certainly feel our heat in the coming session.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=23254

Today proved a trying day for the good guys in Springfield.  Going into the day, we had a gentleman's agreement with Senate leadership to give the Suppressor Bill a free and fair vote on the Senate floor before the end of session.  Senate President John Cullerton looks as though he's reneging on that agreement.  What's more, Senator Don Harmon and quite possibly Cullerton himself are pressuring fellow Democrat Senators to back off their earlier support for the bill.  One of these Democrat Senators, Scott Bennett of the 52nd District (Champaign/Danville area) initially voted for the bill back in April 2015.

I spoke with Senator Bennett this morning, along with the NRA-ILA's Shannon Alford.  Bennett "clarified" his support saying he was okay with suppressors for long guns while hunting, but he was dead set opposed to suppressed handguns and he didn't really see a need for allowing suppressors at shooting ranges.  He trotted out his A-rating from the NRA proudly, and said if he had problems with the bill as an A-rated candidate (2nd mention of his rating), then he imagined a sizeable majority of the Senate Democrat caucus felt the same.

In short, Senator Bennett's NRA A-rating looks as though it's fast going up in smoke.  You can't be pro-gun if you don't vote pro-gun.  You won't keep good ratings if you don't support gun rights.  Suppressors are legal in 42 states, including every state between California and the East Coast – except Illinois.  Bennett's apparently new-found objections precluding his support are excuses.

Illinois State Senator Scott Bennett is playing with fire.  It's time gun owners apply some heat to Senator Bennett's feet.  After all, the famous Illinois Senator Everett Dirksen once said, "When I feel the heat, I see the light."  

Call Senator Bennett's Springfield and Champaign offices.

Springfield Office:
Senator 52nd District
218B Capitol Building
Springfield, IL   62706
(217) 782-2507

District Office:
45 E. University Ave, Suite 206
Champaign, IL  61820
(217) 355-5252
(217) 355-5255 FAX

There are a couple of other Democrat Senators who are in the same boat, and we'll find out Tuesday if they've seen the light.  If not, they will certainly feel our heat in the coming session.
View Quote

I would but I am in 51st district with Chapin Rose. My wife and I both contacted him.

Here is Scott's FB page if anyone wants to send him a message https://www.facebook.com/SenatorScottBennett/

Tweet him at @ScottBennett52
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I just sent a message to Mr. Bennett from his website since they were no longer taking calls at his Springfield office.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just sent a message to Mr. Bennett from his website since they were no longer taking calls at his Springfield office.
View Quote

Tweeted and sent him a Facebook message earlier. Hope everyone else did the same.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 2:04:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry folks,
Looks like it is over for this session.  Deals made...Deals not fulfilled...Time ran out.  
However, things look pretty bright for this issue in 17...
Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Sorry folks,
Looks like it is over for this session.  Deals made...Deals not fulfilled...Time ran out.  
However, things look pretty bright for this issue in 17...
Fingers crossed.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 2:19:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

God damn it.  It's never going to happen.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm more hopeful than I was a year ago....
However, Springfield is a treacherous place.
It shouldn't be that way but it is.

I share your pain....There was a lot of hard work went into this bill.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Now with the federal HPA bill having been introduced and the resistance being faced from left who are kicking and screaming after they learned that trump jr meet with silencerco in support of HPA, we have an even tougher task at hand to legalize suppressors in this state. Either way, thanks to all of those who made the calls and sent emails to their reps.

Edit:
I feel like crap.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#25]
The nra needs to revoke some of those A+ ratings to maybe C Or D after this .
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Todd, thanks for all of your hard work.  Now is the time to increase the pressure and let our elected officials know that we are motivated and watching.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#27]
From Todd on ILcarry

Guys and gals,

"I want to thank all of you who have put time in on SB-206. It wqas not called no fault of our own. There is a very complicated backstory to it, but the bill will be re-introduced tommorow.

like a lot of things, its not a perfect bill. But it is what we could get to have them legalized. Which is a big step. We can't let the perfect get in the way of the good. and the ant-gunners have been stretching to come up with any arguements to be against it.

The new bill will have a few tweaks to it. suppressors will be legal for handguns for possession and when used on a range. It opens the door.

5 years ago people told me we would never have SBRs, well we have them. Its all a work in progress and I'll have a larger update about next session in a week or so.

if nothing else, beleive this. We have a plan. and the anti-gunners don't. And they are not going to like what they see in the next 48 hours"

I'm liking the last part.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#28]
This sure brings back the memories of pushing CCW a few years back
Gotta pound them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Gotta pound them.
View Quote

Which Illinois didn't get until it was last in the nation and forced by the courts. During hearings on 2016 at least one state Senator expressed his desire to wait until that happens regarding suppressors, too. I can't recall who, though.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Which Illinois didn't get until it was last in the nation and forced by the courts. During hearings on 2016 at least one state Senator expressed his desire to wait until that happens regarding suppressors, too. I can't recall who, though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gotta pound them.

And it wouldn't help us one bit, cans would remain illegal in IL until state law was changed. We need to get supressor legislation through asap.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#31]
An update from Todd V at  illinoiscarry

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=64445&hl=

there are a lot of things going on. The democratic party is turning into a more urban party and losing more ground in the rural areas as they swing farther and farther left. Even the senate President yesterday was saying as much.

We muscled through SB-206 out of committee in veto. the immediate effective date ment we needed 36 votes to passs it which we did not have. Reps Costello, Beiser and Phelps went to the Speaker and got him to agree to work on a bill. His offfice was involved and that is why some of the language looks the way it does. There is a big fear of gang bangers driiving around with handgun and a cans doing drive bys. All kinds of people have irrational fears about this stuff and that is all the other side really has.

What we know is that the only card the other side is holding is trying to block any and all of our stuff in an effort to force us to a bargain. They have no other plan. they generally can't beat us on the votes, so all they have is the anti-gun leadership in spots to use them as choke points to block us. That is literallt their game plan. They think they can starve us to make us so desperate for a win that we will give into their demands for dealer licensing or more restraining orders. What would be most helpful is two new supreme court justices who put some teeth into Heller and 2A rulings.

But this is the year where we have to  bring back activism. Locally and otherwise. We are going to need to call your reps and senators and hound them about our issues. We have some new people that are going to have to e educated about how many gun owners we have in their districts. We are going to need to flood their offfices with calls. you need to go in and see them. write/email them about our stuff every week.

We will do our part to break the logjam and we are going to push back on the wild and absurd claims they make.

Take today off. We start again tommorow
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Yesterday they had a gang shooting in Chicago the Alderman of the area was talking about the guns involved even though all they have are empty brass, as this alderman talked about "assault weapons" and the ammo used if it wasn`t tragic it would have been comical all I could do was laugh at the absurdity of it all.  I`m 57 when I was a kid Illinois was a big union state most people I knew was in a union the unions told their members to vote Democrat, and you had conservative union members voting Democrat that`s why you had Democrats controlling Illinois  for so many years, but you also have the liberal stronghold of Illinois  Cook County with their large leftist population screwing things up. If it wasn`t for Cook County all NFA items would be legal in Illinois.  Illinois is fighting back we need to kick Cook County in their collective asses.  If you look at the Presidential election Hillery Clinton only took Illinois because she got most of her votes in Cook and the surrounding collar counties, downstate and in the Quad Cities area (  where I`m originally from)  she didn`t do so well. If you look at a map of Illinois the Cook County shoreline looks like an armpit, I often refer to Cook County as the dirty armpit of Illinois.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top