Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2016 4:40:17 PM EDT
I enjoy backpack camping and mentioned to the wife that I wanted to do some cold weather camping.  So for Xmas she bought me a Coleman heater (which I cannot use nor will I carry that add'l weight in my pack) and wants to go camping with me, in FEBRUARY.

I'm going to suggest we do this in maybe June/July for obvious reasons but I'm looking for suggestions as to where we can go.  

I want to hike, camp, hike, camp, etc.  New camping spot each night.  Hoping to find something w/in maybe four hours of Joliet.

Ideas ?
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Pallasades state park out by the Mississippi River has some great trails for hiking and beautifull views
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pallasades state park out by the Mississippi River has some great trails for hiking and beautifull views
View Quote

Checked it out.  Looks like a typical state park where you can only camp in the designated campground.  Plus the trail system is only fifteen miles long.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Might be a bit farther than you want, but check out the river to river trail across southern Illinois. Beautiful scenery and it's national forrest. I believe you can pretty much camp where you want.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Might be a bit farther than you want, but check out the river to river trail across southern Illinois. Beautiful scenery and it's national forrest. I believe you can pretty much camp where you want.
View Quote

Isn't that near the garden of the gods?
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:10:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes. It goes through there. Starts somewhere on the Mississippi, then cuts across the bottom of the state and ends somewhere on the Ohio river. I deer hunt down in Hardin county. Hard to believe you're still in Illinois.
http://www.backpacker.com/trips/illinois/illinois-trail-of-two-rivers/
Interesting article.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 2:40:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Shawnee National Forest. That trail mentioned by rwchet sounds pretty cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top