Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2016 5:13:53 PM EDT
Hello,
Doing my first form 1 and was wondering what you guys that have done it list as your CLEO... Local, County Sheriff, or State Police ?
I'm in Kane county.
Any tips or suggestions are welcome.
Thank You
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on if you live in a town or are unincorporated.  If you live in unincorporated Kane County it would be the Sheriff if you live in a town/city like Geneva it would be the police chief. I live in unincorporated Oswego,  AKA Oswego Township so for me it would be the Kendall County Sheriff.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I just used my town's CLEO
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:53:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Shoot, I sent mine off like 2 months ago for CLEO signature and forgot about it.  I guess I should check.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 12:51:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shoot, I sent mine off like 2 months ago for CLEO signature and forgot about it.  I guess I should check.
View Quote

I thought the law changed around July that it became notify CLEO only and no signature needed.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 1:00:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Form 1 is now notify only, no need for a sign off.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 1:38:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

Contact information for Cl...

...Oh sorry.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Form 1 is now notify only, no need for a sign off.
View Quote

No shit!?!?!  So all I have to do is submit a copy of the letter I sent to my CLEO?
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 2:13:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No shit!?!?!  So all I have to do is submit a copy of the letter I sent to my CLEO?
View Quote

One of the form 1 copies that you print out will be marked "cleo copy" on the bottom, that's the one that goes to your cleo and serves as notification. I also included a letter explaining IL and federal law and a copy of my c&r. I just dropped the cleo copy/letter addressed to my local sheriff and atf copies off at the same time in the mail bin. Make sure you have the current version of the form 1, the old ones are void as of July 2016 (I forget the exact date).
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

One of the form 1 copies that you print out will be marked "cleo copy" on the bottom, that's the one that goes to your cleo and serves as notification. I also included a letter explaining IL and federal law and a copy of my c&r. I just dropped the cleo copy/letter addressed to my local sheriff and atf copies off at the same time in the mail bin. Make sure you have the current version of the form 1, the old ones are void as of July 2016 (I forget the exact date).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never noticed a cleo form 1 copy, oops. I just sent him a copy of the one I sent to the ATF minus my credit card info. Plus a letter saying what this was. He signed off on my first form 1 and I didnt even have to talk to him, his secretary took care of it all so I'm sure he read it and forgot about it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I never noticed a cleo form 1 copy, oops. I just sent him a copy of the one I sent to the ATF minus my credit card info. Plus a letter saying what this was. He signed off on my first form 1 and I didnt even have to talk to him, his secretary took care of it all so I'm sure he read it and forgot about it.
View Quote

May be you did the pre July 2016 forms, which required a cleo signature and didn't have a cleo specilfc form? If it was the recent form 1, the copies that should have been sent to atf were "atf copy" and "registrant copy". Any other way they will get kicked back to you.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

May be you did the pre July 2016 forms, which required a cleo signature and didn't have a cleo specilfc form?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

May be you did the pre July 2016 forms, which required a cleo signature and didn't have a cleo specilfc form?

Nope it was the new forms. Maybe I just didnt notice the "cleo copy" Either way, I'm not worried about it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nope it was the new forms. Maybe I just didnt notice the "cleo copy" Either way, I'm not worried about it.
View Quote

Hopefully you sent atf the forms marked "atf copy" and "registrant copy" or else they will be kicked back to you. Hope everyone comes out well for you.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hopefully you sent atf the forms marked "atf copy" and "registrant copy" or else they will be kicked back to you. Hope everyone comes out well for you.
View Quote

I'll check on my laptop where I have copies of them

edit: Yea, I just sent an "ATF Copy" to my cleo.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:10:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Went to my local PD to get my fingerprint's done, all good there.
I handed her the CLEO copy of the form 1 and said to her can you please put this in the chiefs mail box, no response is needed, the ATF requires me to notify him.
The desk officer had no idea what a form 1 was and kinda freaked out "what do you need this gun for" she called her chief and his response was I don't need the paperwork until you are approved.
I thanked them for there time and have sent the cleo copy priorty mail to them.

Note another Female officer even said "just mail it to him"
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hello,
Doing my first form 1 and was wondering what you guys that have done it list as your CLEO... Local, County Sheriff, or State Police ?
I'm in Kane county.
Any tips or suggestions are welcome.
Thank You
View Quote

I live in Saint Charles, I got the Kane County Sheriff to sign my Form 1's. This was before 41P, now I'd just send the Form 1's to the Saint Charles  Police Dept. and be done with it!
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:41:23 PM EDT
[#16]
May I ask what you are in need of form 1 in Ill? I am presently looking at doing a short barreled rifle application for Il. Wondering how most CLEO's are acting etc.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:46:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Depends. I sent the Cleo copy to my local small town chief . He actually sent me back a nice response on official letterhead stating he recieved it . Thank you blah blah this is for your records. I was presently surprised
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top