Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2016 11:23:41 AM EDT
I know this isn't firearms related but it is Illinois related.

I am 60 years old and after 35 years on my job will retire/leave my job within 12 months.  
I have never received unemployment benefits or any other hand out.
When I am ready to leave my job would it make sense to get fired, file for and collect unemployment benefits? Then after those benefits are exhausted begin the retirement process.

I don't even know how to retire!
What do I have to do?
Where do i go for this info?

Many Thanks
VonBark  

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.ides.illinois.gov/Pages/default.aspx

Getting fired doesn't mean you get benefits.   I believe for just cause you can be denied.  Layoffs you will get benefits.  I think benefit period is 26 weeks but I could be wrong.

ETA: Benefits require you to look for employment, keeping track and doing biweekly reporting/certification.  They changed some other requirements within the last couple of months too.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought the ticket was to get hurt on the job? lol  Isn't that why every state employee retires with a bad back or knees?
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably depends on your employer as well. I know mine won't even fight a bogus claim because they say the person ends up getting it anyway.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 5:26:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought the ticket was to get hurt on the job? lol  Isn't that why every state employee retires with a bad back or knees?
View Quote
Then go looking for a do nothing job and get another pension. 
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Then go looking for a do nothing job and get another pension. 
View Quote

If it was a state job, it was already a do nothing job... So you mean "another do nothing job."
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 10:28:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Im not going to fake an injury. No way.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're willing to defraud the unemployment system, but not fake an injury?  Yeah, ok.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You're willing to defraud the unemployment system, but not fake an injury?  Yeah, ok.
View Quote

exactly
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 12:44:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yet you are asking if you should get yourself fired to collect unemployment benefits ?  Some moral character you possess
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Posting about illegal activity
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Posting about illegal activity
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top