Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2016 1:08:34 PM EDT
I will be coming to IL tomorrow from MN, I know my CCP does not get honored in IL, so for the purpose of storing the gun while driving to my destination, does a backpack or travel bag count as a case for the handgun to be stored in unloaded?
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I directed you to post here while completely forgetting about this!!!!!!

ETA:

Just read it.  It doesn't have anything pertaining to out of state CCL holders since that post apparently has been up there since 2010, before we had it.  The rest of the info is still good for those who don't have any out of state carry license.  I will let others chime in here and ensure you're getting the best info currently available.

ETA 2:

I need my coffee.

This is right below the above link and covers out of state CCL holders.

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 1:33:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I directed you to post here while completely forgetting about this!!!!!!

ETA:

Just read it.  It doesn't have anything pertaining to out of state CCL holders since that post apparently has been up there since 2010, before we had it.  The rest of the info is still good for those who don't have any out of state carry license.  I will let others chime in here and ensure you're getting the best info currently available.

ETA 2:

I need my coffee.

This is right below the above link and covers out of state CCL holders.

View Quote

First one doesn't specify what kind of case, IE hard side or lockable, so I assume a travel bag or backpack should count. I'm going with this and just unloading it and putting it in my bag. Not planning to stop till we get to the house anyway so should be fine.

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 2:39:50 PM EDT
[#3]
The rule of thumb for IL resident, non-CCW is:
1. unloaded
2. in a case
with some vague verbiage across regs, case law, and legal opinions about:
3. ammo not nearby

There is case law to support that you can have an unloaded weapon in your unlocked center console with a loaded mag next to it and you are legit - but you will likely get arrested because of #3 above. But again, this is for a resident.

Also, while you technically need a trunk to satisfy the 'case' requirement, if you put an uncased, unloaded weapon in the back of your suv then it is far enough away to be 'not immediately accessible' which satisfies the spirit of the law. Note that none of this is legal advice, just research by a guy who dislikes jail ;)

If you were a buddy who asked me while we enjoyed beverages, I would suggest that you put the weapon in one backpack pocket and a loaded mag in a different backpack pocket, and zip both pockets. This would also prevent you from fumbling with all your gear for non-car transportation (e.g. into your hotel, etc.)

Again, no legal advice - just some common sense ideas about gun control
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#4]
IANAL

If a non resident and you have a CCL from your home state, you are allowed to have concealed handgun while in your car.

If you get out, it needs to remain locked in vehicle concealed in container which can be bag, glove box, etc or even center console.

No duty to inform, but must notify if asked

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3497&ChapterID=39

...(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
       (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
       (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under  the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
       (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.

If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
(Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-600, eff. 12-6-13; 99-78, eff. 7-20-15.)

...For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 11:45:23 PM EDT
[#5]
CC has been correctly explained.

Transport:  Unloaded, enclosed in a case, with no stipulation on the ammo except it can't remain in the gun.  

So, pistol in console with lid closed and it can have the ammo in a magazine laying on top of it.  No further case required as the console or glove box is the case.

We have state wide preemption on transportation so same rules apply throughout the state.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Transport:  Unloaded, enclosed in a case, with no stipulation on the ammo except it can't remain in the gun.  

So, pistol in console with lid closed and it can have the ammo in a magazine laying on top of it.  No further case required as the console or glove box is the case.

We have state wide preemption on transportation so same rules apply throughout the state.
View Quote

So there is no stipulation on 'ammo not nearby' ?? Is this new or was I misinformed?
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So there is no stipulation on 'ammo not nearby' ?? Is this new or was I misinformed?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You were misinformed.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

sidenote, excellent avatar Do you have a relation in that photo?

My wife and I went to see Fifi on our first date
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#9]
From the DNR firearms  transportation brochure.  Could  not find active page  link to current ISP version

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Documents/TransportYourFirearmLegally.pdf

How can I legally transport ammunition?

The location of ammunition being transported,
including ammunition being transported in loaded
magazines, is not regulated if the firearm is possessed
or transported lawfully.

Is it illegal to have ammunition in the case with the firearm?

No, if the firearm is unloaded and is properly enclosed
in a case and the individual possessing the firearm and
ammunition is in possession of a valid FOID card

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Is it illegal to have ammunition in the case with the firearm?

No, if the firearm is unloaded and is properly enclosed
in a case and the individual possessing the firearm and
ammunition is in possession of a valid FOID card
View Quote

and the law is the same for a non-resident since they are not eligible to get a FOID.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 2:14:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Thx for the knowledge update gents. Love this forum!
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, my great uncle is the one on far right standing, he was the radar officer, the plane was shot down and he was one of 4 that was captured and became a Japanese POW. Survived and went on to retire from the Air Force in the early 80's if I remember correct.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes, my great uncle is the one on far right standing, he was the radar officer, the plane was shot down and he was one of 4 that was captured and became a Japanese POW. Survived and went on to retire from the Air Force in the early 80's if I remember correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top