Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2016 12:21:08 PM EDT
Anyone have recommendations for places to backpack/overnight in southern IL in Shawnee NF?

Was looking at the Garden of the Gods wilderness and there is a small trail, but it makes no mention of dispersed camping. Wondering if it's allowable to go off trail and set up camp that way.

thx
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/shawnee/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=10685&actid=29

you go first....been planning of going there...so please report back
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to go down there every year for a week at a time.

Was pretty nice and then towards the end I was seeing a decent uptick in meth in the area. Locals at area shops/stores would call the meth users "critters". Getting a fishing license, guy at counter "watch out for them critters". I had no idea what he meant until I ran into some of the "critters".

This was ten years ago, around the same time they had the Insane Clown Posse big party. No clue what it's like now but I'm in no hurry to get back.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't believe they allow off trail camping off the main trail but before you get to the main parking lot there is a gravel parking lot off to the left for the backpackers trail.  I think there is a sign.  We used to camp there years ago.  Took a header off a roughly 30ft drop back there one night.  Might have been alcohol involved.  The Gods is right in my "backyard".

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry this is a bit late, but we go down there at least once a year.
Also check out the Little Grand Canyon area.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:47:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Wife and I will be going to the shawnee in june for a four day backpacking trip.  The garden of the gods will be one of our stops.  

So is a G23 big enough for them there "critters"?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top