Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2016 6:17:12 PM EDT
I've got a Glock 19 Gen 4 listed for sale in Idaho.  And for some reason currently unknown, I have a very eager prospective buyer from your state.

So why on earth would someone in Illinois be chomping at the bit to pay the shipping and transfer fees to purchase a used weapon from Idaho?  Given the added cost, he could just buy himself a brand new gun and save money while he's at it.

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like a bonafide retard!
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sounds like a bonafide retard!
View Quote

Well, we are talking IL.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:51:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Spidey sense is correct in it not making sense. Maybe they are reading too many how easy to buy a gun over the web  stories.  They do understand you arent shipping to them and they must be going through  an IL FFL, right?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've got a Glock 19 Gen 4 listed for sale in Idaho.  And for some reason currently unknown, I have a very eager prospective buyer from your state.

So why on earth would someone in Illinois be chomping at the bit to pay the shipping and transfer fees to purchase a used weapon from Idaho?  Given the added cost, he could just buy himself a brand new gun and save money while he's at it.

What am I missing?
View Quote

Uneducated buyer? If this person has been shopping in the local stores around here, he is looking at $540 to $560 for a Gen 4, plus 8-10% sales tax. Buying yours may make sense in light of that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:05:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Your mind would be blown by some of our mom and pop local shops pricing.  Cabella and Bass Pro's are high but not crazy.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Your mind would be blown by some of our mom and pop local shops pricing.  Cabella and Bass Pro's are high but not crazy.
View Quote

There is a guy around here who has a gun shop for the snobs that live in the town it is in (seriously, small community and everyone in it thinks their farts smell like bacon). A few years ago I walked into that store for the last time and left once I saw a new Browning Hi Power for $1300, it was a nice one but no hi power without some sort of providence is worth that much.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:12:35 PM EDT
[#7]
If I were you, I would ask the buyer to produce a copy of their FOID card.  If the guy/gal is legit, he/she should have no issue producing a copy.  Even a cell phone pic would be fine.  Assuming the buyer has a FOID, take the anxious ones money... :)  IL gun shop prices (for the most part) are nothing to write home about, so buying outside of IL is very common.  My go to place is Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:16:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So why on earth would someone in Illinois be chomping at the bit to pay the shipping and transfer fees to purchase a used weapon from Idaho?
 Given the added cost, he could just buy himself a brand new gun and save money while he's at it.

What am I missing?
View Quote

It's no different than a buyer from FL, IN, TX, ND, SD, GA, AZ, etc., wanting to buy your Glock, if it's priced right.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:21:51 AM EDT
[#9]
For some reason 19's are harder to find sometimes. Depending where he is located, it might be hard to find in a local shop. Also, you have taxes and what not on top. How much are you asking for it? He might have someone that will do the ffl transfer for 20.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:16:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If I were you, I would ask the buyer to produce a copy of their FOID card.  If the guy/gal is legit, he/she should have no issue producing a copy.  Even a cell phone pic would be fine.  Assuming the buyer has a FOID, take the anxious ones money... :)  IL gun shop prices (for the most part) are nothing to write home about, so buying outside of IL is very common.  My go to place is Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore.
View Quote

No reason.  All the buyer has to do is produce a copy of the FFL from the dealer who is going to receive the firearm.  It's up to the dealer to ensure the buyer is qualified to purchase a firearm.

With all the problems with identity theft nowadays I would not send a copy of ID with personal information to a person I did not know.

The OP must have the handgun priced really low or something is fishy about the buyer.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Well this is a non-issue.  My FFL won't send out-of-state.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe time to find new FFL. As much as I go through stuff a good cheap FFL is more important than a good dentist
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:28:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a second prospective buyer from Illinois.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Another ATF agent from the same office?
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why are you still offering it for sale to out-of-state buyers (or considering them) when your FFL won't ship out of state? Unless you got a new FFL...

I searched and saw that you weren't selling it on arfcom.

On a side note, do you not like the Gen 4? I have a G19 Gen 3 I'm thinking about selling or trading to get a Gen 4.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:32:52 PM EDT
[#16]
What is the asking price for your G19?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#17]
My friend is selling the weapon on my behalf and I am compensating him for his services.  It is in no way being marketed to the state of Illinois.  I just find it strange that (seemingly) two people from your state have visited Idaho gun sites and come across it.

There's nothing wrong with the Gen 4 Glocks.  But I decided I wanted to take 357 Sig for a spin.  So the plan was to sell this and get a Glock 32 Gen 4.  Despite popular notion, all Gen 4 Glocks with the 9mm frame really have 40/357 frames.  You can tell by the presence of a second pin through the locking block.  It's just cheaper to only build those frames and use them on the  34/17/19/26 models as well.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:05:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Time for a new FFL.  As long as your ffl ships to another ffl you are covered.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  I honestly don't understand the issue of the thread. As long as it goes thru an FFL at his end the OP is covered. And the shipping FFL is also covered if he confirms the FFL he's shipping to is valid.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:43:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I had an issue many years ago with a purchase of an AR10 from a private party in Texas.  I had three FFL tell me they would only transfer from another FFL.  All three told me it was the law, but I knew that was BS.  I called my old buddy John Birch in Oak Brook and he did the transfer.

I don't know if you guys remember John Birch.  He was the head of Concealed Carry Inc.  He lived in this big house in Oak Brook and every time I went there to do a transfer, he had two hot Polish maids, wearing really short shorts and high heels, supposedly cleaning his house.  He was very active in gun rights in Illinois and he was kind of a bit out there.  Right on the front page of his website he said he would not sell or transfer any guns to black people.  His fee was $40 which was two high but there was no BS involved with any transfer.

One day he just gave up and said Illinois was a lost cause.  He packed up and moved to Florida and I haven't heard anything about him since then.
View Quote

An interstate handgun transfer requires it go from FFL to FFL, correct?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had an issue many years ago with a purchase of an AR10 from a private party in Texas.  I had three FFL tell me they would only transfer from another FFL.  All three told me it was the law, but I knew that was BS.  I called my old buddy John Birch in Oak Brook and he did the transfer.

I don't know if you guys remember John Birch.  He was the head of Concealed Carry Inc.  He lived in this big house in Oak Brook and every time I went there to do a transfer, he had two hot Polish maids, wearing really short shorts and high heels, supposedly cleaning his house.  He was very active in gun rights in Illinois and he was kind of a bit out there.  Right on the front page of his website he said he would not sell or transfer any guns to black people.  His fee was $40 which was two high but there was no BS involved with any transfer.

One day he just gave up and said Illinois was a lost cause.  He packed up and moved to Florida and I haven't heard anything about him since then.

No. A non-licensee may ship a handgun to a FFL in another state, they just can't use the USPS to do so.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No. A non-licensee may ship a handgun to a FFL in another state, they just can't use the USPS to do so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good answer.   For reference: U.S.C.922(a)(2)(A), 922(a)(3), 922(a)5 and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I asked the question to solicit the correct answer.  

The FFL's in my area won't accept a handgun from a private individual out of state.  They know it's legal, but they are covering their backsides.  The same FFL's won't sell a rifle or shotgun to an individual from Iowa, Missouri, Kentucky, Indiana, or Wisconsin even though it would be legal.  The same FFL's will accept a rifle or shotgun shipped from a private individual with a valid name and address as the shipper.  How that is established varies by preference of the FFL.

To date, I haven't found a deal on a modern handgun sold by an out of state private individual that is so good it's worth paying shipping and the local FFL fee.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top