Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2016 9:57:20 AM EDT
Hello Everyone,
Been lurking on the forum lately and I want to say there is a wealth of information here for anyone just getting into this sport.

I live in Aurora and I've historically done all of my shooting (handgun) at JRSS.  I recently "fell into" an AR and I want to get it out on a range either indoor or outdoor but I can't find one that i know FOR SURE allows this.  I do like the idea of joining Aurora Sportsman's Club but not sure I want to join just yet because if I'm being honest I'm a little intimidated by that place.  Again I'm a rookie with limited hand gun and rifle experience and plenty of shotgun experience.

Can anyone suggest a range that accepts indoor AR shooting?  I know most are only 25 yards but for me that seems like a good starting point.  I'm sure after that i'll want to explore something like 100 or 200.  I have a buddy that is a member at Seneca Hunt Club so I may explore that option - been out there many times for pheasant hunting.

Appreciate the suggestions.  I'm glad I found this place.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the forum!!

The three that immediately come to mind:

OnTarget in Crystal Lake
GAT Guns in East Dundee
The Range at 355 in Bolingbrook

I've only used OnTarget since it's closest to me.

I'm typing this on my phone, so, sorry for no further details.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#2]
The Range at 355 might be somewhat close? It's an indoor range.

Aurora Sportman's Club should be your goal though. It's a great range with friendly people. Their practical rifle matches are fun as hell too in a low pressure environment.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#3]
may not be close, but

I think Article II in Lombard also allows.

Outdoors, there is Buffalo Rock near Ottawa.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
may not be close, but

I think Article II in Lombard also alows.

View Quote

Article II is a joke. Never go there OP. Ran by a bunch of pricks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for all the suggestions.  Never heard of Buffalo Rock but will look them up.  And 355 looks awesome.  Thanks again!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 7:48:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
thanks for all the suggestions.  Never heard of Buffalo Rock but will look them up.  And 355 looks awesome.  Thanks again!!
View Quote

http://buffalorangeshootingpark.com

Link Posted: 8/5/2016 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#7]
ASC is a good club and you shouldn't be intimated. They not only allow ARs they allow cannon.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 11:03:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is where I would go. Outdoor. Better for an ar, imo.  Everyone there has been very friendly to me and my kids. We were there just last week.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 1:02:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Already got the Plano all weather tactical case.  Love Plano outlet.  Especially for ice fishing stuff
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Join the ISRA range in Bonfield and test that AR out to 300yds.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ASC is a good club and you shouldn't be intimated. They not only allow ARs they allow cannon.
View Quote

There was a guy there today on the 600 with a cannon.

Link Posted: 8/8/2016 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:... Aurora Sportsman's Club ... I'm a little intimidated by that place ...
View Quote

Can you share more?
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 12:26:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd like to join since I'm about 10 minutes away but ASC is fucking expensive.

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Article II - Last I was there, over a year ago, you could shoot rifles on their indoor ranges.  Once again, please keep in mind that my opinion and information on Article II is over a year old.  Maybe things have changed since then.  I don't shoot there anymore.  Last I was there the ranges were 25 yard ranges, shared with rifle, pistol, shotgun (slugs only) or whatever people wanted to shoot.  The ranges were loud (All ranges are loud but these were extra loud due to the guys with rifles, some with comps or brakes, mixed on the line with the pistols).  Make sure you have adequate ear-pro and double up.  The ranges were also very smokey.  I'd literally have to clean the black gunk out of my nose after shooting there a while.  The staff could also be pretty rude.  Personally, they were nice to me, but they really yelled at some folks.  Making a mistake on the line is one thing, but new shooters don't learn a damned thing when people yell at them.  It just makes them nervous and more likely to make more mistakes.  On the other hand, In defense of the staff there, the place tended to attract alot of people that...well...lets just say they weren't the safest or most experienced people in the world.  I suppose that after you've had to talk to people over safety issues multiple times, and been flagged multiple times, one tends to lose their temper.  Last I was there the place was really busy all the time.  Parking was tough to find and you'd have to wait in line to get a lane...either that...or phone first in advance to make a reservation.

GAT
- They've got some indoor rifle ranges there.  I believe a 50 yard and a 75 yard.  I've never shot on the GAT indoor rifle ranges but I've heard they are nice.  The pistol ranges have been nice, the staff has always been courteous and helpful to me and my wife, and I've taken a couple classes there too.

ASC - Its hard to beat ASC if you plan to do alot of shooting.  There is a covered pistol bay.  Then several uncovered 50 foot pistol bays, 25 yard rifle bays, a 50 yard range, a 100 yard range, a 200 yard range, and a 600 yard range.  Shooting Steel is allowed as long as its commercial manufacturer and you bring documentation to prove that its commercial manufacture and being used per the manufacturers instructions.  Shooting on the move is allowed.  Drawing from the holster is allowed if you have a sign off on your membership card for it.  Same goes for shooting at 600 yards, you can only shoot at 600 if you have a sign off on your membership card (However you can still use the 600 yard range if the firing line is moved up to 200).  In other words, the ASC offers alot of stuff you're not going to find anywhere else nearby outside of private land.

As far as being intimidated, you would likely find yourself less intimidated at ASC because everyone is a paying member.  Its a club.  People are largely friendly and just love to talk about, share, and enjoy shooting.

The downside is, as was mentioned.  Price.  Its very expensive.  No getting around it.  There is a yearly member due, plus a monthly fee they charge that is flexible for a given year, plus 5 hours of volunteer work on the range (or 10 hours if you are in your first year) - however, you can also "buy out" those hours if you don't have the time to volunteer.  All in all it will cost you between $500-$600 a year most likely.

The other downside is range availability and that really depends on what you'd want to do if you joined.  Individual ranges and bays are "rented out" to law enforcement for training and to some select club approved private training companies.  So during those times, those ranges are closed to members.  Also, there are often activities and the ranges are closed for general shooting while the activity is going on.  Things like Appleseeds or Practical Rifle or 3-Gun competitions or CMP events or IDPA, etc. etc..  The club tries to keep ranges open to the general membership as well but this is always a subject of some strife.  Some folks love taking part in the activities and don't mind the club making money by renting out some ranges because the money gets spent on improving the club.  Other folks are members who just want to use the ranges to shoot and get angry when the ranges they want to use are closed on a weekend for activities, or during the week they take a day off and the range they want to use is being rented to law enforcement.  

If you are interested in ASC, you should go to their website...

http://www.aurorasc.org/

On the home page you'll see the calendar.  Scroll through it and see if the availability of the ranges bothers you and you feel that the ranges you'd be interested in are available at the times and days you'd most likely shoot.  Scroll through it to see if the activities and events there interest you.

You can read about the facilities available, membership, etc.

Also, you might see mention of the Zombie Shoot.  Thats an "Open to the Public", paid admission event they hold every year.  Its in mid-september this year I believe.  I've been to it a few times and its alot of fun.  It kind of reminds me of a kids fun fair for grown ups that love shooting ;)  Its all tongue-in-cheek and a good time.  It also gives you a chance to come out and see the club, and form your own opinion.

Buffalo Range - This was already mentioned.  I've haven't been out there since the late 90's and it was always alot of fun.  Every time I went out there I was determined to "get something done" but I never seemed to leave the plinking pit.  I'd always be having too much fun shooting various junk...then eventually lose track of time and get heat sick  Good fun though.

Well, thats the shooting I'm familiar with in the area.  Hope this was helpful.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I think Maxons in Des Plaines also allows rifles on their indoor range, but I dont know if they have any restrictions.

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#17]
take the time and go to mcmiller in eagle wisco...all day for 20 bucks!!no questions asked,no gustppo tactics.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Can you share more?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:... Aurora Sportsman's Club ... I'm a little intimidated by that place ...

Can you share more?

Bump?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#19]
There's always the IN DNR Jasper-Pulaski range. It's nice, FREE, but it's about 2 hours from the NW burbs, leaving very early on Saturday morning.

ETA: nothing really intimidating about ASC. I joined 5 weeks ago, but haven't been able to get back out. They are sticklers for the safety stuff, so you have to be on top of that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks everyone.   1wolf great write up.   Still haven't gone out to the range yet.  Gonna try 355 first then maybe out to ASC one time.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone.   1wolf great write up.   Still haven't gone out to the range yet.  Gonna try 355 first then maybe out to ASC one time.  We'll see.
View Quote

ASC is ultimately the answer you seek. And don't go to Article II, place is run by assholes.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 11:06:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Ok new question.  Does ASC provide targets at the outdoor range or do I bring my own?   What about indoor range anywhere.  Do u just use same targets as pistol?   Paper targets?  I really look like an ass here but I don't want to look like an ass at the range!  
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ok new question.  Does ASC provide targets at the outdoor range or do I bring my own?   What about indoor range anywhere.  Do u just use same targets as pistol?   Paper targets?  I really look like an ass here but I don't want to look like an ass at the range!  
View Quote

First...you don't look like an ass at all.  Be safe and friendly on the range and everyone will think you're great.  Most people out at the range just love an excuse to "talk guns" with a friendly face.

On a side note, I just now noticed from your OP that you said your from Aurora.  I'm not sure but I thought there was an AW Ban in Aurora.  I could be wrong, or maybe it has since been lifted, but you might want to check on that to be safe.

As far as ASC goes.  If you were to decide that ASC might be for you and want to join, then you'll end up attending an "Orientation".  That orientation is like a class and they'll spend a few hours with you, and others that are joining at the same time, talking about how everything works, where you can find everything, what the rules are, etc. etc.  They'll also give you a tour of the ranges and ask you bring a pistol and "Check Out" on the pistol range which is really nothing more than making sure you can handle basic range safety and understand the rules.

To my knowledge, ASC doesn't provide targets for open shooting.  I'm not sure but there MAY be targets in one of the outhouses there that you can buy (I know that sounds really odd but they usually they have a lock box in the outhouse where you can leave money to take things like clays, or guest passes or what not, all on the honor system).

If you end up deciding to join, you'll want to bring your own targets.  That is one of the benefits of ASC in that all that money you pay each year gives you ALOT of latitude in WHAT you can shoot and HOW you can shoot compared to other ranges.  You can bring and shoot steel, paper targets, clays, water bottles hung from the target backers.  As long as you follow the rules on what you can shoot, you've got alot of choices.

I apologize but I'm not quite sure what you meant by "What about indoor range anywhere".  If you were asking if indoor ranges provide targets then that would depend on the range.  Most indoor ranges sell a variety of targets there and I'd think that most allow you to bring your own as well.

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Aurora limits magazines to 15 rounds.  No all out AW ban.  I've got that part covered anyway
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Billebob5

if you go to Range355, ask about Veteran or LEO/EMS discount. Price for customer and a friend for 1 hr.
if you're around Target store @ Bolingbrook between Wed-Friday at 7-8pm, I can met you and give you a bunch of cardboard that I've used to shoot @Range355
just use a marker to create your own

8x11 office paper for scale
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#26]
JUST remember you must be a member to shoot at asc, you won't be able to just come and shoot unless your with a member or join. I hate for you to waste time to try and go there only to be turned away. There are many opportunities at the club to learn. 99 percent of the members I've met have been great. Shooting an AR at 25 yards inside is no fun for me anyways. We have new members orientation every month, if you choose to go that route. Don't be intimidated by the club. It's the best place around. Yes we are tough on safety, but also have a lot of freedom that other ranges can't even compare.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1 on you won't look like an ass as long as you are safe, polite, and humble up to your abilities.

I used to help run some stuff open to the public and we LOVED the guys who would show up and say, "I just bought this, anyone know how to ...". We'd pair him with a seasoned shooter; we knew he would be safe, he got to make a friend, and the 'mentor' got to show his love for the sport. Without exception these guys would come up afterward  and say "Thx for helping me today, I was really hesitant because I'm new ..."

Now the guys who would show up, fumble with their gear, sweep everyone - these guys make everyone as uncomfortable as they are. And it's not like the seasoned guys can't figure out that you are new to the sport, right?

As far as the target thing, ASC does not (to my knowledge) provide them. The privy does (again, used to) have guest badges and some targets if they get stocked all for purchase on the homo system. But as mentioned, you can shoot whatever ya got within the safety regs ...  Also, as far as pistol targets or rifle zeroing targets. if you just shoot paper a copier is your friend ;)

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Another vote for Buffalo range near Ottawa. Reasonable price, and laid back range officers who were cool with a slide-fire stock when I was there in April. The plinking put is a little more restrictive (now there is a vertical limit on the berm), but if you knew all of the hell that the hippies and tree huggers put them through (the range is kinda close to Starved Rock State Park) its a miracle that they reopened.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top