Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2016 2:37:45 PM EDT
I'm flying into ORD next week to visit family a state or two over.

My plan: check a pistol, pick it up when I land, load up and holster when I get my rental car, and don't stop again until I'm in Indiana.

The following week, I drive back to ORD, unload it and lock it up when I turn in the car, check my luggage, and go home.

I've got a Colorado CFL.

As I understand IL's rules on car carry, I'm good as long as I don't get out of the car with the pistol on me and I don't just leave it sitting out in the car if I do...right?

The second question: I pretty much always carry a knife, a ZT folder and/or a small fixed blade (ESEE 3 or Izula). How does that fit into my plan and state law there?

(There's a bunch of people I'd love to buy some beer for after the last "Dumb Coloradan needs help with Illinois" thread I posted here, but my travel times are just really screwy this time.)

While I'm at it...I need to end up in SW MI. Is the Skyway and the Indiana Toll Road that much better than just taking 94 all the way? It's been 20 years since the last time I had to deal with either.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't think I helped before so I definitely want to be on the 'owed beer' list :D

My only concern if I was executing your plan would be at ORD itself. I would don and doff  my gear after/before getting to the car rental facility. I *think* airport cops have jurisdiction there, so it would suck to don your gear, drive out of the car rental lot and be stopped before you exit airport property. Google can help you find plenty of places to pull over right outside the airport.

As far as while riding in your car, I would double check which states' CCW are honored here ... today ... then check again the night before you fly out

Last comment on your protection plan - double check the rental agreement to ensure that possessing, carrying, or transporting in your car does not violate the contract. While this may not relate to criminal laws, it could still be an issue if something happens during your travel. So the net net is don't have a need to stop and no one will know what you are doing, thereby yielding laws that don't have to be enforced by anyone ;)

Regarding your route, there is a tremendous amount of construction from Illinois to Michigan except possibly the Skyway. I have done the run from south of Chicagoland to SW Michigan recently.  I-80, 294 and 94 are not quick, so Skyway should likely be only slightly worse

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:.

As far as while riding in your car, I would double check which states' CCW are honored here ... today ... then check again the night before you fly out

View Quote

IL does not "honor" any other state CCW.  But for non resident car carry, should be good to go as long as they have a CCL from their home state.

ETA:  and yes, dont get out of car with it and dont leave it inside unconcealed...and IANAL

ETA2:  I think Chicago (dont know about other local ordinances) has a blade limit... like 2.5 inches, but there may be some wording around having it with intent to do harm so hopefully someone with more knowledge of that will come along.  At a state level, over 3 inches will probably get you additional charges if caught while committing a crime.  Also, no auto knives (yet, but we have a bill awaiting vote)

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_23/441452_Knife_laws_in_Illinois.html

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=23&t=559400

https://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=8&f=23&t=599022

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_23/600364_.html

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, for non-resident car carry, you need to have a CCW permit from your state of residence.

And since the OP is going to Michigan, that state honors all RESIDENT permits.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay, I guess it makes sense. About as much sense as anything in Cook County does, anyway.

But now I have a follow-up question: what do I need to know about checking/declaring at the airport when I fly back home a week later? Will the lack of an FOID be an issue or is ORD going to be like every other airport?

(American Airlines, if it matters.)
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Okay, I guess it makes sense. About as much sense as anything in Cook County does, anyway.

But now I have a follow-up question: what do I need to know about checking/declaring at the airport when I fly back home a week later? Will the lack of an FOID be an issue or is ORD going to be like every other airport?

(American Airlines, if it matters.)
View Quote

I've never done it, but from the few Ive heard from, afaik it should be like elsewhere and a non-issue by following your airlines rules.  I have read there might be slight variation in protocol e.g. at check-in some may ask to examine the case, some ask TSA to come over, etc but no issues.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Foid will not be an issue. You are a non-resident.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Gonna side with those who don't recommend flying into ORD with a pistol.

Secondly, if you're flying into Shitcago to drive to Michigan, why not fly into Michigan to start with?
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Secondly, if you're flying into Shitcago to drive to Michigan, why not fly into Michigan to start with?
View Quote

We have heard numerous stories of people traveling through NY and NJ getting pinched with firearms, including checking them at the airport.

I have never heard of Chicago doing that provided the firearm is properly checked in.  IL law on firearms is shitty and unclear in many places,

but I don't quite see how this is one of those places.  Chicago's ordinances on pistols have been totally preempted by the CCL Act, and they

have followed the law AFAIK.  The OP's resident CO CCL allow him to possess a loaded firearm in his car with a few restrictions.  Otherwise

he can have it as long as it's unloaded and enclosed in a case.  Personally I'd probably have the case locked until I was out of the airport, but

otherwise I don't see an issue.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where do you live? IL is not NY or NJ. If you check it properly, you won't be pinched.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 8:33:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We have heard numerous stories of people traveling through NY and NJ getting pinched with firearms, including checking them at the airport.

I have never heard of Chicago doing that provided the firearm is properly checked in.  IL law on firearms is shitty and unclear in many places,

but I don't quite see how this is one of those places.  Chicago's ordinances on pistols have been totally preempted by the CCL Act, and they

have followed the law AFAIK.  The OP's resident CO CCL allow him to possess a loaded firearm in his car with a few restrictions.  Otherwise

he can have it as long as it's unloaded and enclosed in a case.  Personally I'd probably have the case locked until I was out of the airport, but

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

ORD was about a thousand bucks cheaper than GRR, and none of the other Michigan airports were close to where I wanted to go.

As it turned out, flying American out of ORD was easier than flying United from... anywhere. But that's a United problem.

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#12]
SWA flies directly to GRR
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top