Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2016 8:53:33 PM EDT
Discussion at work, is it a law in Illinois that you tell LEO that your CCL or FOID?

I got stopped before by LEO on the way home...more like volunteered to stop...long story short, at night, I opened all lights, lowered windows of my car, hand on steering with my drivers license, registration and FOID (even I don't have shooting weapon---I have a knife then).

Maybe because, I saw the officer first 2 houses from my home, waved at him as I passed, then stopped because my spidey sense tells me he's checking everyone out.
As he approved, bid him a good evening....he did his script...gave my FOID card immediately...he said it's cool, don't need that...he said, he's looking for some delinquents in the neighborhood.
He said just be careful...then quickly realized I stopped in front of my house.  He said, go in, I'll hang here till your at I'm safe inside.
I said, be safe the rest of the night, come home to your family, and waved me.

I waved when I was inside and he left.

So discussion is: Illinois Law: Obligated to inform LEO of CCW or FOID card during traffic stop?

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:11:01 PM EDT
[#1]
No it is absolutely not your duty to inform. If requested you must disclose possession of a CONCEALED firearm if requested by LEO per CCL Act.

See 430 ILCS 66/10(h)  

Good manners and your safety dictates you do inform of a concealed firearm IMO. I would not inform of a cased weapon.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:02:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No it is absolutely not your duty to inform. If requested you must disclose possession of a CONCEALED firearm if requested by LEO per CCL Act.

See 430 ILCS 66/10(h)  

Good manners and your safety dictates you do inform of a concealed firearm IMO. I would not inform of a cased weapon.
View Quote

thank you Sir.
majority of my interaction with any LEO have been outstandingly professional.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:55:58 PM EDT
[#3]
While not obligated to inform unless asked, when they run the plates on the car, they are going to most likely know you have a  CCL  before they approach your car assuming it is registered to you.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Good to know.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are a concealed carry licensee, you are required to respond if an inquiry is made.

Nothing requires you to "inform" that you have a FOID. Or a CCL for that matter.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 10:07:00 PM EDT
[#6]
430 ILCS 66/10(h)

(h) If an officer of a law enforcement agency initiates an investigative stop, including but not limited to a traffic stop, of a licensee or a non-resident carrying a concealed firearm under subsection (e) of Section 40 of this Act, upon the request of the officer the licensee or non-resident shall disclose to the officer that he or she is in possession of a concealed firearm under this Act, or present the license upon the request of the officer if he or she is a licensee or present upon the request of the officer evidence under paragraph (2) of subsection (e) of Section 40 of this Act that he or she is a non-resident qualified to carry under that subsection. The disclosure requirement under this subsection (h) is satisfied if the licensee presents his or her license to the officer or the non-resident presents to the officer evidence under paragraph (2) of subsection (e) of Section 40 of this Act that he or she is qualified to carry under that subsection. Upon the request of the officer, the licensee or non-resident shall also identify the location of the concealed firearm and permit the officer to safely secure the firearm for the duration of the investigative stop. During a traffic stop, any passenger within the vehicle who is a licensee or a non-resident carrying under subsection (e) of Section 40 of this Act must comply with the requirements of this subsection (h).

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:16:13 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have an Illinois CC permit and the car is registered  in your name, they do know

you have the permit.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top