Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2016 7:34:46 PM EDT
Looks like my old thread went archived. I'm still looking for someone that can help me get this machined out. Every corner I've turned has led me nowhere. Going to really blow when I get my stamp back and still have a lump of aluminum just sitting here.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Dont know if you also posted on IL carry so I will copy it here, but I was very surprised to see the following which, if interpretation is correct,  may explain why there have been fewer discussions of build parties

http://gunfightertactical.com/atf-shuts-down-completion-of-80-lowers/

An FFL or unlicensed machine shop may also desire to make available its machinery (e.g., a computer numeric control or “CNC” machine), tools, or equipment to individuals who bring in raw materials, blanks, unfinished frames or receivers and/or other firearm parts for the purpose of creating operable firearms. Under the instruction or supervision of the FFL or unlicensed machine shop, the customers would initiate and/or manipulate the machinery, tools, or equipment to complete the frame or receiver, or entire weapon. The FFL or unlicensed machine shop would typically charge a fee for such activity, or receive some other form of compensation or benefit. This activity may occur either at a fixed premises, such as a machine shop, or a temporary location, such as a gun show or event.

A business (including an association or society) may not avoid the manufacturing license, marking, and recordkeeping requirements under the GCA simply by allowing individuals to initiate or manipulate a CNC machine, or to use machinery, tools, or equipment under its dominion or control to perform manufacturing processes on blanks, unfinished frames or receivers, or incomplete weapons. In these cases, the business controls access to, and use of, its machinery, tools, and equipment. Following manufacture, the business “distributes” a firearm when it returns or otherwise disposes a finished frame or receiver, or complete weapon to its customer. Such individuals or entities are, therefore, “engaged in the business” of manufacturing firearms even though unlicensed individuals may have assisted them in the manufacturing process.

Held, any person (including any corporation or other legal entity) engaged in the business of performing machining, molding, casting, forging, printing (additive manufacturing) or other manufacturing process to create a firearm frame or receiver, or to make a frame or receiver suitable for use as part of a “weapon … which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive,” i.e., a “firearm,” must be licensed as a manufacturer under the GCA; identify (mark) any such firearm; and maintain required manufacturer’s records.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Spoke too soon.

I had someone that offered to let me use his mill and jigs, but he hasn't responded to IM.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 10:08:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Could you update me as to what problems you are having ? AR-15 lower ?
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Could you update me as to what problems you are having ? AR-15 lower ?
View Quote

Was just trying to find someone with a mill that would let me complete my lower.

I just decided to order a 80% Arms EZ Jig, so I don't really need a mill anymore. I figured for the price of the jig, I can make that money back in drive time and convenience.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I understand what the problem was / is now. Finding someone with a mill and willing to do or help you does have its problems. That jig is a nice one, but awful expensive.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 10:52:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I understand what the problem was / is now. Finding someone with a mill and willing to do or help you does have its problems. That jig is a nice one, but awful expensive.
View Quote

Yeah, not cheap I'm of the "buy once, cry once" mindset and if I can afford something and justify it, I'll buy it. I've got a few friends that would benefit from using this jig too, so I could charge a small rental fee a recoup a little money.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah, not cheap I'm of the "buy once, cry once" mindset and if I can afford something and justify it, I'll buy it. I've got a few friends that would benefit from using this jig too, so I could charge a small rental fee a recoup a little money.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at Modulus Arms 80% website and Youtube vids
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went with 80% Arms and it turned out pretty good.

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like you did a really nice job SecretSquirrel. The engraving is awesome. Is the selector hiding the word FULL ?? Are you going to have it anodized ? It looks good like it is.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 9:51:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looks like you did a really nice job SecretSquirrel. The engraving is awesome. Is the selector hiding the word FULL ?? Are you going to have it anodized ? It looks good like it is.
View Quote

BURST (cloning my issued M4, so it's marked as such)

I will be having it anodized. I want to put it through a firing functional test so I don't waste $100+ on the ano just to have a paperweight.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Where did you get it engraved and where are you taking it to be anodized? I have some work that needs to be done.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Where did you get it engraved and where are you taking it to be anodized? I have some work that needs to be done.
View Quote

Braceman did the engraving. I'll send it to US Anodizing for coating.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top