Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2016 11:27:47 PM EDT
Maybe I was not listening in my CCL class but I thought the instructor said that if a small part of your handgun is exposed it is OK as long as it is not too much.

For example if you are carrying in an OWB holster and your barrel hangs down an inch or so below your coat or shirt is OK?

Another example- I was carrying in my the front pocket (with a De Santis pocket holster) of my baggy shorts and you could see the end of the magazine if you looked at me from the side. It was not hanging out, but it was visible at the opening of my pocket if someone looked.

Also, what about printing through a shirt if you are using a IWB holster in the small of your back? I thought I read somewhere that in some states even printing is illegal?

Please help me on this. Already Googled it and checked a few Illinois carry websites, could not find anything.

Carrying a Springfield XDS 9mm with a 3.3" barrel.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:22:15 AM EDT
[#1]
"Mostly concealed" is in the law, but that's only to protect people who inadvertently expose their concealed pistol. This is for situations such as: you're reaching for something on a high shelf at the grocery store and your shirt rides up. Or your shirt/coat blows open on a windy day, accidentally exposing your pistol.

This is not for someone to wear an OWB with the bottom inch of the holster exposed beyond cover garment or wearing a shirt too tight that shows every line of your pistol underneath.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:57:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Marie is spot on
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"Mostly concealed" is in the law, but that's only to protect people who inadvertently expose their concealed pistol. This is for situations such as: you're reaching for something on a high shelf at the grocery store and your shirt rides up. Or your shirt/coat blows open on a windy day, accidentally exposing your pistol.

This is not for someone to wear an OWB with the bottom inch of the holster exposed beyond cover garment or wearing a shirt too tight that shows every line of your pistol underneath.

View Quote
Thanks for this clarification. I could not find the "mostly concealed" part in the law, I must have skipped over it.

Out of curiosity, does the law give the same explanation/clarification that "mostly concealed" basically means "concealed unless you expose it on accident" or is this just the general consensus?

Can you give me a quote or reference to this part of the law because I have not been able to find it. I just want to make sure I'm not breaking the law. If I'm out and about and somebody spots my piece, especially someone who might be anti-gun, I'm sure it will involve a call to local law enforcement and I want to avoid this situation.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3497

The definition of concealed is included at the beginning of the statute. See Sec.5

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#5]
OK I see it there in section 5:
"Concealed firearm"
means a loaded or unloaded handgun carried on or about a person
completely or mostly concealed from view of the public or on or about a
person within a vehicle." (my emphasis)

Again in section 10,C,1:
(1) carry a loaded or unloaded concealed firearm, fully concealed or partially concealed, on or about his or her person; and
If the law does not provide any further clarification as to what "partially or mostly concealed" actually means, then logic tells me that if a firearm is only partially or mostly concealed then it is also partially exposed. It can't be fully concealed and partially or mostly concealed at the same time. In both places it says "OR".
Again, not trying to justify the way I'm carrying, I just want to be clear on what the law says.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I was at the cabelas in hoffman estates last week and saw a guy who was using an OWB holster with his shirt going over it and the bottom of the holster was sticking out, made me giggle.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Last year (before I got my CCL) I went to mass at a large church in Chicago and the guy in front of me with his wife and two kids was obviously carrying. I could see it bulging under his shirt on his right side.

I giggled too and it made me feel a bit more safe.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#8]

One of the basic tenants of statutory interpretation is that if a term contained in the statute is not a defined term you use the

ordinary meaning (you might call it the Webster Dictionary meaning) provided it is otherwise consistent the statute.  In this case

we don't have any real insight into what happens if 75% of your pistol is under a shirt and 25% is exposed.  The ordinary meaning

of mostly is 50.1%+, but somehow I doubt too many judges will see it that way.  I bet the answer you get depends largely on

the political leanings of the presiding judge.  This sure isn't the hill I want to die on.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#9]
to paraphrase, a person may carry a concealed handgun on their person or within their vehicle concealed or partiall concealed from view.

Don't be confused, the partially concealed was added in to protect us from unintentional displays or printing, which is a crime in some states. It doesn't mean you can OC IWB and claim it is mostly concealed. You will get the antis in an uproar and they WILL change the law.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:55:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the insight.

I don't want to get my hand slapped (or worse) for not carrying properly.

I will try to err closer to the 100% concealed goal.

I have found that it is kind of difficult to conceal even though pictures on websites and youtubers make it look easy.  I picked up an Aliengear cloak tuck 3.0 (this is an IWB holster) thinking this was the answer to my problem and tried it the other day.

4 o'clock position did not work at all. I put it in the small of my back and my wife said it looks like I had a dirty diaper on as she laughed. I said thanks a lot for your help.

I guess I need to drop a few more pounds lol
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the insight.
I have found that it is kind of difficult to conceal even though pictures on websites and youtubers make it look easy.  I picked up an Aliengear cloak tuck 3.0 (this is an IWB holster) thinking this was the answer to my problem and tried it the other day.
4 o'clock position did not work at all. I put it in the small of my back and my wife said it looks like I had a dirty diaper on as she laughed. I said thanks a lot for your help.
View Quote

no skinny jeans. and get "tall" shirts . and a nice thick belt (tight) is a must.

i'm a big guy. 6'2 280+ ( 2xlt shirt 38x34 jeans) and no one ever notices when i carry. i use an IWB alien gear. tucked deep at about the 4-5 position.  1 paint size bigger and tall shirts helps alot.i still use my normal size pants but has to be a specific brand for them to fit right..... ive carried with normal length shirts and it covers but i cant bend over without showing my grip so i wear tall shirts.and a good thick belt cinched tight is a big help so you dont get the sag.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#12]
This discussion has done a good job of covering this issue (or mostly covering   )
Mike.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Technically a holster that covers most of the gun us "mostly" concealed...anyone want to give it a try?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Not unless it was a Sneaky Pete but those things are just huge.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:08:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for the insight.
View Quote

Have you tried appendix?

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Have you tried appendix?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the insight.

Have you tried appendix?

2-3 O clock works well for me with my aliengear. I just wear my regular jeans (that are also on the skinnier side) and a regular tshirt. (glock 19)
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I carry 2:30-3 oclock. I don't find appendix comfortable, ESPECIALLY when sitting.  Yeah it's a little bit uncomfortable but you do get used to it. Furthermore I heard someone once say; "It's not supposed to be comfortable. it's supposed to be comforting."

A good belt is a must, but not necessarily one of those $50 concealed carry belts (I'm doing a video review on one of the cheaper ones now).  Buy your pants 1" larger than you normally would. Try to buy your shirts a little bit longer than you normally would if you wear them untucked. If you tuck them in, you can get away with it if you blouse it out a little at the bottom.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top