Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2016 9:04:03 PM EDT
I've been eyeing this for a while, not sure I can afford it, but I'm curious.  Any members here? I'd like to hear your thoughts.  It seems like the calendar is booked a lot for LE, training, competitions, etc.   The practical rifle and three gun events are own to the public.  Are you members seeing a benefit of membership or that when you want to go it's open and you have room to run drills and practice as you desire?  

Any insight would be appreciated.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 9:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Worth. Every. Penny.

Former member. New job with 80% travel so put membership on hold to focus on wife, kids, etc. CAN'T WAIT to go back
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 10:28:52 PM EDT
[#2]
It is worth it if you can get to the range 2 times a month so you get your monies worth. 400+ dollars a year is a lot if you only go 3 -6 times. I try to go 2 weekends guring sring and as many as I can get to in summer.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm the department chair for Action Shooting Sports there.  As Tango says, if you can make it out enough, it is totally worth it.  You can do stuff there you can't do ANYWHERE else that I've seen in the midwest unless you have your own property.  LE is all during the week and they only take up 1 bay.  Classes have been cut way back to open up more ranges to membership use.  There are club events, many of which my department puts on.  Practical Rifle, 2Gun Tactical, 3Gun, and Practical Precision Rifle.

We are in the process of saving money to open up the east side of the ranges JUST for the action shooting sports and classes to open up even more range time on the front side for general membership use.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 12:29:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been a member for the last couple of years and I find it to be worth the expense. During the non-winter months I get to the range 3 to 4 times a month.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 12:35:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've been eyeing this for a while, not sure I can afford it, but I'm curious.  Any members here? I'd like to hear your thoughts.  It seems like the calendar is booked a lot for LE, training, competitions, etc.   The practical rifle and three gun events are own to the public.  Are you members seeing a benefit of membership or that when you want to go it's open and you have room to run drills and practice as you desire?  

Any insight would be appreciated.  
View Quote

Current member.  It really is great range.  RO's are decent and leave you alone for the most part.  No bullshit range rules (shoot at any pace so long as rounds are safely hitting the berm, shoot manufactured steel targets, shoot from holster by completing a couple hour safety class). The 100, 200, 600 yard ranges we have for rifles are non existent elsewhere. I do think it is priced high and they gouge you simply because they know they can.  I also believe the cost is what keeps the membership from truly growing.  

As far as accessibility I refuse to go all the way out there on the weekend.  Usually just too much shit going on when the weather is nice.  I love going out through the week when i can and most of the time I end up having an entire 25 yard bay to myself.  The 100 pretty much has someone on it all the time. If LE isn't out the 200 and 600 is always open (cert. needed for the 600).
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 1:07:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the info.   It seems really cool,  and yes it's the only place to do certain types of shooting  I'm only 35 mins away so getting there 2x a month wouldn't be hard. I think the cost is the most prohibitive issue.

280 initiation, then 280 a year , plus 15 a month assessmen, and then members still have to pay to enter the action shooting events...

It's tempting, but expensive.

Once again thx for the feedback. I'm pondering...
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 1:14:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
... members still have to pay to enter the action shooting events...

View Quote

If the A.S.S. Head still has them available,  you can buy a kinda 'season pass' so events are cheaper
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#8]
It is worth it. I've been a member a couple years now and will be renewing shortly. I like the focus on safety and the membership cost tend to keep out the casual shooter. I was getting tired of seeing unsafe behaviors at by the day ranges. All the people and RO's have been very friendly.

One minor annoyance since most of my visits are during the week. The 200 and sometimes the 600 are rented out to law enforcement groups for training. It sometimes takes a bit of juggling of my schedule to have range availability. To make matters more confusing they are doing pistol training at arms length from the target. I understand they need the revenue but rent out a pistol bay.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It is worth it. I've been a member a couple years now and will be renewing shortly. I like the focus on safety and the membership cost tend to keep out the casual shooter. I was getting tired of seeing unsafe behaviors at by the day ranges. All the people and RO's have been very friendly.

One minor annoyance since most of my visits are during the week. The 200 and sometimes the 600 are rented out to law enforcement groups for training. It sometimes takes a bit of juggling of my schedule to have range availability. To make matters more confusing they are doing pistol training at arms length from the target. I understand they need the revenue but rent out a pistol bay.
View Quote

I think the club website has a section which lists which bays are booked ...
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol, check the calendar before heading out.  The 200 and the 600 are perfect for their use as NO ONE is ever on them, unlike the pistol bays.  If you happen to be one of the handful of people who actually shoot on them a simple calendar check is all it takes.

As far as cost keeping the rifraf out, lol check all the cans, barrels, safety cones and backer braces for bullet holes next time you're out.  Idiots have money too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As far as cost keeping the rifraf out, lol check all the cans, barrels, safety cones and backer braces for bullet holes next time you're out.  Idiots have money too.
View Quote

There will always be idiots anywhere.

I was an RO and there were far fewer infractions at ASC than other places.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I've shot a few practical rifle matches and love the place. I just can't afford to be a member right now which stinks.
I plan to shoot more events this year.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 8:02:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Indeed the club calendar is a required view. Unfortunately my schedule or the weather dictates which day I can go. What winds up happening is I use the 100 instead. As I said it's only a minor annoyance and sure doesn't impact my review of the club.

BTW, I have seen all the bullet holes where they don't belong. I was speaking to the behavior I see from other shooters.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was speaking to the behavior I see from other shooters.
View Quote

Agreed.

The thing I miss most is the people. You will feel unsafe far less often ;)
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:33:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the replies.  I'll have to check the budget and if I can swing it.  If the cost of membership wasn't enough, im Sure the corresponding increased ammo jags age doesn't help either....

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Try it for 1 year. I am going on year 3, this will most likely be our last year since the cost is too high. I think they should just make the membership cost what it is + the assessment fee so you don't feel like you are paying twice. And like everyone said going during the week is the best. I attempted to try a weekend with my wife and we will never do it again.  We plan on keeping a eye on the place and will join again when fees are less, we don't fish, use archery or the shotgun range or hunt so it is just the range. I wanted to become a RSO but missed the class so I am doing it through the NRA.  If you can get there like you say do it. you might meet some nice people. I a guy once and he tried hitting on my wife, we left and stopped going on weekends.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:01:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Try it for 1 year. I am going on year 3, this will most likely be our last year since the cost is too high. I think they should just make the membership cost what it is + the assessment fee so you don't feel like you are paying twice. And like everyone said going during the week is the best. I attempted to try a weekend with my wife and we will never do it again.  We plan on keeping a eye on the place and will join again when fees are less, we don't fish, use archery or the shotgun range or hunt so it is just the range. I wanted to become a RSO but missed the class so I am doing it through the NRA.  If you can get there like you say do it. you might meet some nice people. I a guy once and he tried hitting on my wife, we left and stopped going on weekends.
View Quote

ahem....sorry bout that boss...

You made it further than I ever have on a weekend, I pulled into the parking lot and turned around and went home, place was too packed for me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You made it further than I ever have on a weekend, I pulled into the parking lot and turned around and went home, place was too packed for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We go during the week. I love the face that we can shoot on the move.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 1:36:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weekends are pretty packed? Is that why you would only go during the week? Is it so packed that you have to wait in line, or no shooting on the move?
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 10:21:58 PM EDT
[#21]
When you are the only one at the range you determine where the firing line is and when someone else shows up if they don't like where it is they will ask to move it and usually it is not a big deal. There are less people there during the week and I think it is more enjoyable. I will add I have a trust problem with people I do not know having firearms in the same range bay as me.  I say join for a year and see if you like it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 11:38:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Does anyone know if you can join and take a year Off or put your membership on hold? So you don't have to pay the initiation fee again.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
When you are the only one at the range you determine where the firing line is and when someone else shows up if they don't like where it is they will ask to move it and usually it is not a big deal. There are less people there during the week and I think it is more enjoyable. I will add I have a trust problem with people I do not know having firearms in the same range bay as me.  I say join for a year and see if you like it.
View Quote

Im exactly the same way.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if you can join and take a year Off or put your membership on hold? So you don't have to pay the initiation fee again.
View Quote

I think you have to pay both when joining.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 3:04:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for all your input. It's something I'll have to think about. But it think it's slightly out of reach financially at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 1:05:46 AM EDT
[#26]
They usually have a deal going at the Zombie Shoot in September with a reduced initiation fee.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:17:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They usually have a deal going at the Zombie Shoot in September with a reduced initiation fee.
View Quote

They did this last year, I really wish I could have joined then. I'll probably join at the next zombie shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top