Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2015 12:59:12 PM EDT
I am screwing around with a Saida AK-47 clone.  I need someone to press off the front sight post.  I would like to wait for it as not to make a second trip.  My normal gunsmith is not local, and quite frankly his work has slipped.  I don't know if it is age or what.  I was thinking of possibly Maxon's in Des Plaines.  I really don't want to hear "well our minimum shop rate is $125" for a three minute job.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 10:53:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I have use "The Gun Doctor" in Roselle.  Here is the website: www.gundr.com/ to contact them.

I also have used the smith in Gander Mountain(Joliet) for a scope mount, they might be quicker.

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am screwing around with a Saida AK-47 clone.  I need someone to press off the front sight post.  I would like to wait for it as not to make a second trip.  My normal gunsmith is not local, and quite frankly his work has slipped.  I don't know if it is age or what.  I was thinking of possibly Maxon's in Des Plaines.  I really don't want to hear "well our minimum shop rate is $125" for a three minute job.
View Quote

If you don't intend to reuse the front sight post you could dremel it off.  Second way is to remove pins and hammer it out, I did it this way.  Those Europeans make a tight fit on the front sight post as well as the gas blocks.

I didn't feel like paying big bucks so I did it myself.  All you need is a starter punch, other punches to finish pushing the pins out, block of wood, wood screws and a BFH.  Making sure the barrel is secure and will not move.  This is very important in getting those pins to move.  I think hammering the gas block out was the hardest part of the job.  AK's are a pain in the ass compared to the most awesome AR15.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top