Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2015 11:04:34 PM EDT
I'm making a trip to Wisconsin at the end of the week and have to go through Missouri, Illinois, and of course Wisconsin. I usually keep a 16" carbine in a lock box in my truck and my CCW on me or if I know I'll be driving for a while put it in my console. Are there any laws that will prevent me from bringing my rifle or CCW through your state?  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Pike
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:42:23 PM EDT
[#1]
IL CCW law allows you to "car carry" your pistol if you have a CCW license from your home state.

That means your loaded pistol does not leave your car for any reason unless it is first unloaded

and cased.  State wide preemption applies.

There is no state wide AWB or mag limits. A very few municipalities do, pretty much just around Chicago.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Magazines do not have to be unloaded or separated. Just removed from the gun. Unless you have a permit from your state, then you can leave your pistol loaded, but not the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#3]
do not have go be unloaded if you re getting out of car to put in trunk, or to leave it in your glove box or console.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:39:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Round trip was a sucsess, I just wanted to thank everyone for any and all information that was provided to me.

Thanks,
Pike
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I know you are there and home again, but for future reference. CCW should not be a problem as others have answered. However, the federal law for transporting across state lines is more strict than the illinois law for transporting within illinois.  If you are following federal law, you will be fine within Illinois. here is federal law... https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled
to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully
possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may
lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out
of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a
locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a
locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also
covered.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered.
View Quote

This is the default if you don't know the laws of a state.  If I know the state law and it allows me to have more access to my weapon, I will take advantage of it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:05:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is the default if you don't know the laws of a state.  If I know the state law and it allows me to have more access to my weapon, I will take advantage of it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered.

No argument there. Personally speaking when ever I travel across state lines this is how I keep my firearms, other than my carry firearm.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
However, the federal law for transporting across state lines is more strict than the illinois law for transporting within illinois.  If you are following federal law, you will be fine within Illinois. here is federal law... https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
However, the federal law for transporting across state lines is more strict than the illinois law for transporting within illinois.  If you are following federal law, you will be fine within Illinois. here is federal law... https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation

As is relatively common, this is a misrepresentation of FOPA.

When you present FOPA as "Federal law" in this manner, you are presenting it as a requirement. That is not the case. There is no requirement that you transport a firearm across state lines in this manner or any other.

FOPA is a "safe harbor" provision. It offers protection, not limitation.  IF you choose to follow the provisions, then you are protected by FOPA (to the degree that you're able to afford to fight a state in court if they choose to ignore it, as the Fed's won't enforce it). There is no legal requirement to obey FOPA. If you are following the applicable state laws in the states you are traveling to then FOPA is irrelevant.

Another issue is that FOPA only protects you when traveling through a state, if a state is your destination then you have to follow their state laws in that state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top