Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2015 11:11:58 AM EDT
So I may be shipping a rifle to an FFL in my state........

Do I still need to run the buyers FOID number or is that up to the FFL on the other end?  

Do I need to give them any of my information in exchange?  

If I remember right I need to include with the firearm a copy of the FFL's license?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're going through an FFL, I'd think the FFL would take care of that.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:56:45 PM EDT
[#2]
FFL takes care of that. If you are shipping yourself to the FFL they will ask you for your FOID. Usually a copy. Also some FFL's do not accept shipments from individuals.

I am an FFL.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:32:35 AM EDT
[#3]
The FFL will have the recipient fill out the 4473 and go through the normal waiting period.

Some FFL's won't accept transfers from individuals, the ones that do almost always want a copy of your license, foid, or both.

Before you ship I'd recommend you get a copy of their FFL and run them through the ATF's ez FFL check to confirm their validity.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#4]
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

I've never done it but in state you don't need an ffl according to this.  Still need to check foid   Good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top