Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2015 4:12:30 AM EDT
Coming from MO where everything seems to be cheaper and way better gun laws, what are the best parts to live around in the Greater Metropolitan Communistic Chicago area? Best as in: either near Skokie or Cicero, as well as a fair mixture of low crime rate, decent housing, and accessibility to the rest of the city? Also things to do that don't involve shooting the menacing black rifle of doom and destruction and insta-terror?

UPDATE: Well, looks like the job offer in Cicero is the most interested in employing me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you actually need to live in Cook County or the actual city itself for some reason?
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#2]
As the above poster noted there are a lot of nice towns that are 30 minutes from Chicago that are actually in Dupage.  The gun laws there are more open.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Du page county is your answer
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Like others have said, dupage county is where you want to be. Lake county also aint bad. Lake county is extremely close to skokie, dupage is extremely close to cicero. You'll need to pick which town you want to be closer too. I'd personally look in the roselle area. It's dupage county and the commute to skokie/cicero will be similar when coming from roselle. It's also not in the city; the city sucks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 6:16:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Housing and everything else is expensive. Better look at that and negotiate salary accordingly.

DuPage Co is mostly pretty nice if you don't mind busy suburbs.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Not to mention  Kendall or Kane Counties.  If you are going to work in Chicago and your place of doesn`t provide decent parking there is always Metra.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I live in Wheaton which is in DuPage County and actually DuPage County seat.  
Escaped Cook county to do so and decided to move closer to my work which is in the town of Downers Grove. And I agree with the others when they say DuPage is probably your best bet.    I love it here. I'm right near some walking trails, lots of restaurants and stuff to do.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks all for the suggestions and advice. I'll look into DuPage Co, should I take one of the job offers located in either Skokie or Cicero. But to be honest I'm also considering Rockford and don't believe there will be any issues regarding ARs there, unless I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks all for the suggestions and advice. I'll look into DuPage Co, should I take one of the job offers located in either Skokie or Cicero. But to be honest I'm also considering Rockford and don't believe there will be any issues regarding ARs there, unless I'm wrong.
View Quote

No, no you wont.

But if you think the south side of Chicago is a fun place to go to get murderized, you'll love Rockford.

Its a total shithole.  Gary Indiana, but in Illinois.

Every state needs an asshole.  Rockford is ours.

Stick with the other towns if possible, and enjoy DuPage county.  You'll find this state isn't all that bad for gun stuff unless you're a class 3 guy.  Everything else is pretty much good to go.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#10]
check out the western suburbs. Then you can shoot at Aurora Sportsmans club. Nice range and they have all sorts of events to shoot in.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No, no you wont.

But if you think the south side of Chicago is a fun place to go to get murderized, you'll love Rockford.

Stick with the other towns if possible, and enjoy DuPage county.  You'll find this state isn't all that bad for gun stuff unless you're a class 3 guy.  Everything else is pretty much good to go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, no you wont.

Rockford is boring to be honest.  I visited once.  No desire to go back let alone live there.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:19:35 PM EDT
[#12]
not to mention rockford is way too far to live in if you are working in skokie
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:25:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Rockford boring??   There is nothing boring about Rockford,  I`m originally from Whiteside County myself I see nothing boring in that part of the state.  I currently live in Kendall.  Chicago  would drive me crazy too many people in one place I prefer wide open spaces.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:43:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Rockford boring??   There is nothing boring about Rockford,  I`m originally from Whiteside County myself I see nothing boring in that part of the state.  I currently live in Kendall.  Chicago  would drive me crazy too many people in one place I prefer wide open spaces.
View Quote

I grew up in the city and suburbs.  Different perspective, I guess.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 3:17:55 PM EDT
[#15]
If I had to pick between working in Skokie or Cicero I think I pick Cicero because I feel there are more cheaper decent housing option than in the Skokie area.  If you didn't mind driving a ton you could live in WI and work in Skokie but that would be awful terrible cut my wrist commute.  WI = suppressor, more rifle ranges, cheaper housing.  As far as black rifles most towns in IL should be OK but there are a few towns that specifically ban them.

Either way you go be prepared for higher costs than MO.  Property taxes in IL are some of the worst in the country.  Don't forget property taxes around Chicago are even higher than the median IL numbers.  
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/01/25/10-states-with-the-highest-property-taxes-in-ameri.aspx

edit:  my property taxes are more than what I paid for rent in Hawaii.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If I had to pick between working in Skokie or Cicero I think I pick Cicero because I feel there are more cheaper decent housing option than in the Skokie area.  If you didn't mind driving a ton you could live in WI and work in Skokie but that would be awful terrible cut my wrist commute.  WI = suppressor, more rifle ranges, cheaper housing.  As far as black rifles most towns in IL should be OK but there are a few towns that specifically ban them.

Either way you go be prepared for higher costs than MO.  Property taxes in IL are some of the worst in the country.  Don't forget property taxes around Chicago are even higher than the median IL numbers.  
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/01/25/10-states-with-the-highest-property-taxes-in-ameri.aspx

edit:  my property taxes are more than what I paid for rent in Hawaii.
View Quote

Cicero borders the west side of Chicago. Black rifles are iffy in Cook County. There's a ban, but it's not currently being enforced due to a current court case.

Live in DuPage County.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Live in Dupage or Will County if going to work in Cicero.  Live in Lake County if going to work in Skokie, maybe certain parts of Cook.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#18]
FYI Crime is generally going to be lower in the Skokie area compared to Cicero.  

If I had to spend 8 hours a day in either, I guess I'd go for Skokie.  -shrug-

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Only reason I'm really asking is b/c I have job offers from manufacturing plants in Cicero, Rockford, and Skokie. I will definitely look into DuPage County considering it's basically in between both Cicero and Skokie. But honestly currently Rockford is kind of the no-brainer for me as the job there pays decent, COL is cheaper of course, the commute wouldn't be insane during the morning and no real gun restrictions like Chicago or Cook County period.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Only reason I'm really asking is b/c I have job offers from manufacturing plants in Cicero, Rockford, and Skokie. I will definitely look into DuPage County considering it's basically in between both Cicero and Skokie. But honestly currently Rockford is kind of the no-brainer for me as the job there pays decent, COL is cheaper of course, the commute wouldn't be insane during the morning and no real gun restrictions like Chicago or Cook County period.
View Quote

Just don't live in Rockford if you take the job there. There are small towns in the area that would be much better for living in and you wouldn't have a long commute.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:21:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Be VERY careful about where you choose to live in Rockford.  Drive the neighborhood, figure out where the shopping is and go there,
drive the route to work, etc. etc.

Rockford is a shithole of gangs, murders, and criminal activity, and just by driving through on the highway you'd never really guess.  Looks
like pretty much any other mid-sized Midwest town.

Top 100 most dangerous cities.....Rockford scores #20

Fortunately there are plenty of small towns within easy drive that are safe with reasonable cost of living.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Knowing that you have two job offers and not knowing anything else: I would take the offer in skokie and live in Lake county. No bans in LC, just don't live in Highland Park (they have an awb and mag cap laws). Live in LC, commute to skokie, shoot in Southern Wisconsin at one of their nice outdoor ranges that are relatively close by. Cicero is a shithole, the whole west side of the city is a shithole, you would not want to live in/near cicero unless you pushed out further west and commuted in. The traffic is a killer btw.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#23]
do not live in rockford, seriuosly dont do it

skoikie is what i would choose. plent of place to live by there and you will have no issues finding a nice place to live near there

cicero, umm hell no. crime ridden.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:57:10 AM EDT
[#24]
As others have said, work in Rockford but live elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Coming from MO where everything seems to be cheaper and way better gun laws, what are the best parts to live around in the Greater Metropolitan Communistic Chicago area? Best as in: either near Skokie or Cicero, as well as a fair mixture of low crime rate, decent housing, and accessibility to the rest of the city? Also things to do that don't involve shooting the menacing black rifle of doom and destruction and insta-terror?

UPDATE: Well, looks like the job offer in Cicero is the most interested in employing me.
View Quote

do you speak Spanish???
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

do you speak Spanish???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

do you speak Spanish???

As I tell everyone else about any foreign language. Enough to get me into trouble, but never out of it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Live in DuPage and commute.  There are a few complexes of apartments to avoid in Willowbrook and Westmont.  I love Wheaton personally.  I work in Downers Grove and that's nice too
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:29:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Been looking around and saw Bolingbrook as an option. Looked up town/village ordinances, didn't see anything that raised a red-flag. Also noted that it is in Will County and about a half-hour drive w/out traffic (rough estimate of 1.5 hour with traffic, up to 3 hour drive in rush hour) on the 55. Anything I should be aware of about Bolingbrook? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Been looking around and saw Bolingbrook as an option. Looked up town/village ordinances, didn't see anything that raised a red-flag. Also noted that it is in Will County and about a half-hour drive w/out traffic (rough estimate of 1.5 hour with traffic, up to 3 hour drive in rush hour) on the 55. Anything I should be aware of about Bolingbrook? Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Why would you want to live that far out? 55 is a mess during rush hour.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because I'm a glutton for road-rage!

But honestly couldn't really find anything else within a closer range to the job in Cicero without it being an hour long/my Google-fu is horrendous/I want to be as thrifty as possible.

ETA: Apartment I found is $800/mo. Utilities included, I would just require Internet.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:16:00 PM EDT
[#31]
You could live in Lisle, Downers Grove, Willowbrook. You may not hit less than $800 but I did in Wheaton(I pay $780 for a 1 bedroom that I rent with the GF.)

I agree with Marie, I commuted down 55 for a few months, and even via public trans and it's a mess.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Bolingbrook isn't too bad.  I used to have a business in Romeoville for a few years, and
we did stuff in Bolingbrook a fair amount as it is right next door.  I get the impression that
it has a few areas that are just fair, and some that are good.  I'd be picky about the
neighborhood and the schools just like anywhere I guess.  Personally in that area of
the burbs I like Wheaton better that most of the other towns.

Commuting on I-55 is a nightmare.  A lot of people do it anyway.  No way I could handle it,
but whatever floats your boat.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Couple firearms oriented suggestions if you're moving to IL.

If you are interested in carry, try to get into an IL carry license training class ASAP, before moving if you can. It's 8(best case) to 16 hours and just after your move you may not have time to do that, so get it done before if you can.

Once you're in IL and established, whenever you change residence and get driver's license then apply immediately for FOID and CCL to get the process going.  CCL will take about 40 days if you do fingerprints or 85 days without.

Make sure you're set on ammo and such, once you're in that window of IL resident but before FOID arrives you're in limbo. Also be advised that many retailers in IL won't sell you ammo if you're not an IL resident. FOID is probably going to take 40 days or so.

If you have a MO carry license, you can carry in-vehicle in Illinois, but that goes away when you change residence.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#34]
What part of MO are you from?
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wentzville, St. Charles Co.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Not sure if your still looking for a town to live in but , LaGrange , LaGrange Park , Brookfield are all decent towns. You have the train in all 3 towns that will take you to cicero in 5-10 min ,or if driving you could avoid I55 and take Ogden Ave or Pershing right into Cicero in about 10-15min from any of the towns I listed.  I lived in Brookfield for 30 years  +/- and I rented a big 2 bedroom apartment not to long ago in LaGrange Park for $750. month with most utilities . Midwest gun shop is in Lyons (next to Brookfield) decent shop with good smith. PM me if you need info on the apartment in LaGrange Park.

P.S. sorry you have to move there
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 10:24:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know what line of work you are in but Boeing is hiring like there is no tomorrow. Also if you want to get your IL CCW certificate before you head up north I am over in Granite City.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top