Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2015 8:31:23 PM EDT
The highest taxed county in the poorest run state in the nation just got worse.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news-chicago/7/71/772539/county-sales-tax-increase
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 8:37:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Liberals being liberals the sooner I get outta this state the better
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#2]
That money is spent already, and none of it will go to pensions.  Next year look for another 1/2%
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 9:50:56 PM EDT
[#3]

About time, I was afraid there might be a cut in services.  Right now the county provides me with a tax bill twice a year.  I wouldn't want to see my "services" interrupted.

Isn't this how Todd lost his job...did anyone complain, last time it seemed the board would revolt.

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I already buy my ammo outside of the county, as well as most of my groceries. Shopping totally outside of the county now (I live on the Cook/Lake border)
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I like how they also say some of it will go towards roads. I've gotten use to hitting potholes and dips on side roads and on the highway doing 65mph all year long so why bother. I'm ready to build an off-road vehicle just so the suspension can take the abuse.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I already buy my ammo outside of the county, as well as most of my groceries. Shopping totally outside of the county now (I live on the Cook/Lake border)
View Quote

+1

Really the only thing I buy in county consistently is fuel

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#8]
So glad I live in Southern IL... It's a little less oppressive down here.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I suppose the $25 firearm tax, is probably going to pay for overpriced public sector labor as well.
Crook County; Stroger, Preckwinkle; It really doesn't matter.  They are all crooks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:14:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like how they also say some of it will go towards roads. I've gotten use to hitting potholes and dips on side roads and on the highway doing 65mph all year long so why bother. I'm ready to build an off-road vehicle just so the suspension can take the abuse.
View Quote

But I thought the tolls were supposed to pay for the roads.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:46:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess the yearly reconstruction of tollways and highways can count, but when I'm hitting potholes and speed bump like parts of the road everyday I doubt it's really going towards roads. Auto repair places must make a killing in this state.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#12]
It is the simple Democrat fix...Over spend and simply raise taxes to fix the over spend but, the $$ seem to always go somewhere else and the problem continues.  Need to start working on spending fixes!
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Cook County and the State of Illinois are both lost causes financially.  Since 1955 the state has been warned by auditors that the pension system was not sustainable but no politician wanted to stand up and change it because it would mean the end of his/her political career.

Cook County operates the same way.  Lots of public/welfare programs, high salaries, generous benefits and lucrative pensions.  Spend, spend, spend for several decades and now the time has come to pay the fiddler but SURPRISE, there's no money to do so.

Or is there........Yes.  We can simply raise taxes to keep the BS pensions flowing.  There, problem solved.  Let the next generation of politicians handle the mess.

The only way the state and Crook County can fix the financial train wreck is to cut pensions, make people work till they are 65 instead of retiring after thirty years, cut salaries, end many of the social welfare programs, cut the number of paid holidays/sick days/personal days/etc.

But this will never happen.  No politician except Rauner will stand up and say no more.  

If the state were a regular business it would have filed bankruptcy a LONG time ago.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

+1

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I work on the west side of O'Hare in DuPage, so I always buy my gas there. Much cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#15]
So thankful I moved to DuPage County.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top