Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2015 10:42:52 AM EDT
Hey folks,
I am transferring a long gun to family member but they are an IN resident.  My local FFL says all I need to do is keep a copy of ID and firearm info for 10 years and I'll be gtg.  I just want to CMA (cover my ass). And if he was transferring it me he would need a copy of my FOID and the "approval number" from the state.   With pistols I know it needs to go through a FFL in Indiana and vis versa in IL.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Illinois touches Indiana,  you don't need an FFL to do a long gun transfer.

Save your $$$ and just do a ftf paperwork transfer for the guy in IL.   Indiana residents don't need to keep paperwork btw.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Save your $$$ and just do a ftf paperwork transfer for the guy in IL.   Indiana residents don't need to keep paperwork btw.

View Quote

Not trjue. Individuals  from different states need to go thru a FFL for all firearms
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I would just take it to their local ffl and be done.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would just take it to their local ffl and be done.
View Quote

If their local ffl will take walk in transfers this is your best option. Interstate transfers are required to go through a FFL.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:16:33 PM EDT
[#5]
1.A non-licensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A non-licensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. [ STATE AND LOCAL LAWS ALSO APPLY ] [18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:02:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not trjue. Individuals  from different states need to go thru a FFL for all firearms
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, my understanding was you can buy a long gun from a contiguous state FROM a FFL but not from a private party.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:07:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Cool thanks for the info guys.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#8]
>>>Not trjue. Individuals from different states need to go thru a FFL for all firearms<<<

Wrong,  I should have posted what Swanhunter did.  My bad.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh yes you do.

But since it's a long gun, it can be transferred to him by an FFL in either state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top