Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2015 3:22:05 PM EDT
I will be doing a medical school rotation at St. Anthony's by Douglas Park in Chicago...

I am looking for a place to stay for a month, and Craiglist "roommate search" right now is all I can afford... Can someone tell me what areas to avoid around that specific part of town?

How about driving my own vehicle to work everyday x public transport?

Any and all input will be appreciated...
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll be 2.5 miles from the heart of Chicago's biggest campus town aka Little Italy. Since its summer and students are away, that could be a good spot to sublet. I lived on Lexington and Loomis for three years and it was always really nice. Lots of youn people and a fee good college pubs. The.Illinois Medical District is right there so its not all 19yo students. From that area, you have a train (pink line) somewhat close or the Ogden bus (157?) right outside. Or, on nice days, you're looking at a 40 minute walk home.

I think Douglas Park is right on the edge of a somewhat gentrified and otherwise somewhat sketchy area (West Side neighborhoods to the west, West Loop, UIC/UIC Medical, and Little Italy to the East) but its not dangerous as far as I know.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the hospital is at Sacramento and 26th street.  So you have a lot of options.  If you had a car, your options are 10 fold.  Sacramento is a fast street since no one really lives on it.  I agree with the OP above, a summer sublet would be ideal for you (wish I thought of that).  From UIC medical and Little Italy, you would just shoot down Ogden and hang a left at Sacramento.  From Ukrainian, West Town, etc you would just shoot down Sacramento.  

I would avoid Pilsen and Little Village, they may be more urban then you are looking for.  They can be high density, dirty and gritty, the local artist love it, I like it, but I can see how many would not appreciate it.

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:15:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Although I'm a suburban guy, I've generally found the following map to be very true in terms of what respective neighborhoods are like:

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Stay away from Cicero and Pulaski.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 11:14:22 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/a5JaJ4j.jpg

Right click, Save as...

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

2 main streets that run throughout the entire city North to South.......
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#9]
IM  me...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top