Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2015 9:27:38 AM EDT
Has any one used GAT guns to do a transfer?

I live in Florida my son lives in Illinois and I want to send him a gun.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#1]
If you like being a$$raped,  then by ALL means go to GAT!

I'm sure more will chime in.  

There are PLENTY of other places around that can do it for less than 1/4 the cost.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you like being a$$raped,  then by ALL means go to GAT!

I'm sure more will chime in.  

There are PLENTY of other places around that can do it for less than 1/4 the cost.
View Quote

They want it shipped from a FFL also that's another transfer fee on this end. That ain't happening.

Any recommendations on who to use in the NW suburbs of Chicago

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure how far NW your son is.  Bohn's Ace Hardware in Woodstock and Ugly Mike's Gun Shop in McHenry (both far NW) offer good transfer fees, at least the last time I used them anyway.  I don't know about any requirement for a transfer coming from an FFL, though.

On Target in Crystal Lake does may accept transfers from non-FFLs.  Transfers there are $35 for members and $50 for non-members.  FAQ Link

EDIT: Added non-member/member difference.  The ability to receive from a private party is subject to question as well.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm not sure how far NW your son is.  Bohn's Ace Hardware in Woodstock and Ugly Mike's Gun Shop in McHenry (both far NW) offer good transfer fees, at least the last time I used them anyway.  I don't know about any requirement for a transfer coming from an FFL, though.

On Target in Crystal Lake does accept transfers from non-FFLs.  Transfers there are $35.  FAQ Link
View Quote

I've used Bohn's in the past and 2nd Amendment Sports in McHenry as well ($25 when I used them last year).
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 7:48:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Marengo Guns $10.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Has any one used GAT guns to do a transfer?

I live in Florida my son lives in Illinois and I want to send him a gun.
View Quote

If you are loaning it to him, you don't need an FFL.  If it's his gun and you're sending it to him, you don't need an FFL.

An FFL is only required when ownership changes across state lines.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 8:09:52 AM EDT
[#7]
He lives in Palatine IL I'm not sure what gun shops are close to him
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 2:31:02 PM EDT
[#8]
>>>An FFL is only required when ownership changes across state lines.<<<

Kinda,   an Illinois resident can sell (or buy) a long gun to anyone that resides in a state that touches Illinois.   If the state does not touch Illinois then you have to ship it here.

You may legally also ship a handgun TO any FFL in the United States.    Otherwise handguns have to be actually purchased from an FFL here.   No interstate commerce of handguns is permitted.  Even by private party you must ship to an FFL.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 2:59:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
>>>An FFL is only required when ownership changes across state lines.<<<

Kinda,   an Illinois resident can sell (or buy) a long gun to anyone that resides in a state that touches Illinois.   If the state does not touch Illinois then you have to ship it here.

You may legally also ship a handgun TO any FFL in the United States.    Otherwise handguns have to be actually purchased from an FFL here.   No interstate commerce of handguns is permitted.  Even by private party you must ship to an FFL.
View Quote

Another catch - any number of FFL's will not accept firearm shipments from out of state private parties. I certainly understand that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He lives in Palatine IL I'm not sure what gun shops are close to him
View Quote

Relatively speaking, of all the options listed, GAT is the closest in East Dundee, but it's still half an hour away in traffic.  On Target in Crystal Lake is a bit further.  Woodstock and McHenry are a bit more, and Marengo even more so.  If your son doesn't mind driving, though, any of the recommendations will do.  I've heard nothing but great things about Marengo Guns and want to check them out myself.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

On Target in Crystal Lake does accept transfers from non-FFLs.  Transfers there are $35.  FAQ Link
View Quote

The info from that link states otherwise:

Do you do FFL Transfers?
Yes, OnTarget offers FFL Transfer-ins, which means receiving a firearm from an alternate FFL and transferring it to you, our customer. This type of transaction usually occurs when a private party purchases a firearm online and needs it transferred to a local FFL. We also offer FFL Transfer-outs, which consists of us receiving a firearm from a customer and transferring it out to an alternate FFL. The latter type of transaction usually takes place if a private party sells a firearm online and needs to send it to the buyer.

How much does an FFL Transfer Cost?
FFL Transfer-ins are $35.00 for Members and $50.00 for non-Members.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 4:35:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do you do FFL Transfers?
Yes, OnTarget offers FFL Transfer-ins, which means receiving a firearm from an alternate FFL and transferring it to you, our customer. This type of transaction usually occurs when a private party purchases a firearm online and needs it transferred to a local FFL. We also offer FFL Transfer-outs, which consists of us receiving a firearm from a customer and transferring it out to an alternate FFL. The latter type of transaction usually takes place if a private party sells a firearm online and needs to send it to the buyer.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you do FFL Transfers?

Damn, sorry for missing the member/non-member discrepancy.  I should've caught that, as I'm not a member.

As for transfers from a private party, a little further down in the FAQ is this:

What do I need to do to for an FFL Transfer-in?

To complete an FFL Transfer-in, simply call OnTarget Range and ask to speak to someone about an FFL Transfer; an associate will take down your:

Name, phone number, and address;
   Name, phone number, e-mail, and fax number of the transferring FFL,
   Make and model of the firearm you are having transferred.

When receiving a Transfer-in, from an FFL holder, we MUST receive a signed copy of the transferor’s FFL prior to completing the transfer. Transfer-ins from a private party REQUIRE a copy of the transferor’s State-issued Driver’s License or Identification card.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#13]
My FFL does $20 transfers.

Long Arms
Mark Long
708-712-4365
[email protected]

815 79th st Unit A
Willowbrook, IL

He's right off i55 and rt 83.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 10:57:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Damn, sorry for missing the member/non-member discrepancy.  I should've caught that, as I'm not a member.

As for transfers from a private party, a little further down in the FAQ is this:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you do FFL Transfers?

What do I need to do to for an FFL Transfer-in?

To complete an FFL Transfer-in, simply call OnTarget Range and ask to speak to someone about an FFL Transfer; an associate will take down your:

Name, phone number, and address;
   Name, phone number, e-mail, and fax number of the transferring FFL,
   Make and model of the firearm you are having transferred.

When receiving a Transfer-in, from an FFL holder, we MUST receive a signed copy of the transferor’s FFL prior to completing the transfer. Transfer-ins from a private party REQUIRE a copy of the transferor’s State-issued Driver’s License or Identification card.

Gotcha.  I've never done business with them and they may be a great business.  $50 seems a little steep given the other options.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
<burning the quote tree down>
Gotcha.  I've never done business with them and they may be a great business.  $50 seems a little steep given the other options.
View Quote

Agreed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top