Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:05:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Also,  I think I'll have some NV gear by then to try out.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#2]
UPDATE:  I think we're going to plan on Saturday, JULY 25th for the shoot; that way if the weather is flat out awful we can possibly use the following weekend as a backup date.

I've done some revisions to the range in order to hang all 6 steel targets that i have and provide a better shooting experience for those that come.  I think that if we met around 11am or so it would allow plenty of time for shooting and we can shoot into the dark several hours as well. For now i'd like to plan on just the saturday shoot and go from there.   Please post here if you're coming; i'd also appreciate it if you could PM me if you are coming as well.  I'd like to have a ballpark idea on a number of people to expect by friday the 24th.

If you have any questions, let me know.  Most information should be available in the opening post or throughout the thread.  I do ask (as stated before) that everyone bring their foid card (just in case), eye and ear protection, and a can of white/tan/grey spray paint for targets (if possible).  I would also ask (not required) that if you feel comfortable i would appreciate a $5 "donation" in order to help pay for range maintenence, and supplies that i purchased in order to revamp the range to its current look.  It will also go towards mowing the area and other care.  

I'm looking forward to this and again, if you are coming please post here so that everyone has a general idea on numbers.

Thanks

7/7 Range update: Version 2.0  (great picture in low light; looks quite ghetto-fab!)  Basically i added 2 8'x6" treated posts about 25 feet apart to hang the targets.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like some good upgrades!  I'm in.  PM coming shortly...
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:54:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in, along with two of my sons, and one friend.
I love to shoot but also looking forward to meeting locals and other forum members to share build ideas, resources, etc...
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 10:09:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds good...I will PM you.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Its awesome of you to do this, but I cant make it, some family things came up.

Maybe next time, y'all have fun!
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I have to work 7/25, so maybe the next time I can make it out.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry I can't make it. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm planning on making it, unless work pops up.

I'll bring along a couple AR's, both in 5.56 and 7.62.  If you guys would like to put a couple rounds thru them, you're more than welcome to, but the shorty 5.56 gun needs good brass cased factory ammunition (XM193/M855/Mk262) to cycle properly.  Not trying to be a snob or anything, its just the way its setup - (H2 buffer, super stiff buffer spring, 0.070 inch dia port, etc)  it just chokes on Wolf/Barnul/lightly loaded commercial stuff.  

For longer range stuff, I might break out the SR25.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm planning on bringing at least a couple of AR rifles,  a couple of AR pistols,  the Garand, maybe the MVP, and a few handguns for good measure.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm planning on making it, unless work pops up.

I'll bring along a couple AR's, both in 5.56 and 7.62.  If you guys would like to put a couple rounds thru them, you're more than welcome to, but the shorty 5.56 gun needs good brass cased factory ammunition (XM193/M855/Mk262) to cycle properly.  Not trying to be a snob or anything, its just the way its setup - (H2 buffer, super stiff buffer spring, 0.070 inch dia port, etc)  it just chokes on Wolf/Barnul/lightly loaded commercial stuff.  

For longer range stuff, I might break out the SR25.  
View Quote

Sounds good; i'd like to shoot the SR25 if permitted :)

whats the "shorty 5.56"?
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't want to shoot the SR25, as I'm sure it means I will want one afterwards!  

Simple night vision setup is coming together.  I'm not sure how well my WML IR light will do at distance yet, but I've got an order in for a T20 with an Osram 850 emitter.  Not sure if it will get here in time though.  

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 11:22:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sounds good; i'd like to shoot the SR25 if permitted :)

whats the "shorty 5.56"?
View Quote

SR25 shoots match 175's the best.  Loves FGMM 175's and AN39/Mk316.  Most any good quality, non corrosive brass cased 7.62 stuff is fine, match or ball.  

Shorty 5.56 is my Mk18ish gun.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Since i dont have an actual physical address, i went ahead and used my pristine mouse paint skills to try and make finding the property as easy as possible.  The farm is located on highway 71 appx. 1 mile east of Hennepin, IL and 3-4 miles west of Granville Illinois.

In the satellite images the farm is circled in white, the range in black, and our frontage property (WHERE WE WILL MEET) is in red.  If you will be coming late (after 11:15 or so, please text me or post here).   The frontage property has 2 large steel buildings just off of the highway (to the south).  Its about a 3 acre gravel lot and there may be various farm equiptment/junk/etc. in the lot at the time of the shoot but i will have my black silverado.  I'll have you come right to the "range" which is right off the highway anyways.

I would like to shoot for meeting around 11am; if thats a problem please let me know as i am very flexible but i figured this would allow plenty of shooting time without anyone having to get up too early, etc.  If for some reason the weather forecase is awful i will try to post in here and cancel the shoot (if needed) 12 hours or more prior to saturday at 11am.   If you have questions or get lost, my cell number is below.

(815) 970-0869

Looks like we should have around 10 people or so which will be just about right.   Looking forward to it.

Chris

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds good.   See you then!
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Can not make this one hope to make the next. Thanks, you guys have fun
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#17]
IF ANYONE ELSE IS INTERESTED PLEASE POST OR PM ME; ITS NOT TOO LATE TO ATTEND!  
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone opposed to moving the meeting time back to 12:30? With a smaller than expected amount of people,  I tgink that would still allow plenty of time.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:00:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Works for me.  

I might have 1 other person with me.  Shouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:36:57 AM EDT
[#20]
That's fine with me as well.  Is night shooting still a possibility?  I know it will be a long day if we wait until the sun goes down.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Planning on shooting in the dark for sure. Probably take a little dinner break at some point even though dinner options are limited.  Let's plan on 1230. I'll pm everyone else.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#22]
I won't be able to make this one, it's the pops birthday so I'll be with him for the weekend.  

If this goes well and you end up having another one I'd definitely like to come.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:05:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Had a great time at the shoot today. Learned some things shot some cool firearms and met some great people.
I wish I could've stayed longer but had to go because of some other obligations.
Can't wait till the next one!  Maybe the weather will be a little cooler next time.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Hope you guys had a good time, it was really cool of the OP to organize a shoot. Sorry I missed it, perhaps there will be another opportunity.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Thank you Chris for hosting this and all the extra range prep.  It was great meeting everyone,  shooting some new firearms (I hear my wallet crying already), and sharing some good stories.   Just let me know when you're willing to put up with us again!   I'm ready for some night shooting when the heat index hasn't been 105° all day. It's not every day you get a chance to ring steel at 500 yards with a 4x scope and a sling.

Kent

P.S. What was waiting for me when I got home?   My new IR laser.   Guess I'll be ready for next time.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:11:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Enjoyed hosting guys; thanks for coming. I'll post up if/when I come up with another date.  Preferably something in September when it's cooler. Def need some night shooting.

Only picture I took, lol.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks to our host for putting it together.  

Saw some slick setups, check out some NV gear, and slay a lot of chains.  And some paintcans.  

We also invented the 'High capacity assault bolt varminter rifle.'  
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Thanks to our host for putting it together.  

Saw some slick setups, check out some NV gear, and slay a lot of chains.  And some paintcans.  

We also invented the 'High capacity assault bolt varminter rifle.'  
View Quote

Feel free to post that pic,  I don't mind.   Lol
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#29]

SF 60 rd mag in an MVP.  #winning
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#30]
I can hear the prairie dogs squealing in terror,  lol!
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#31]
You need to get one of the SF100 rd stick mags for it.  Just because.  

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Or get my name on the list for a Magpul drum!
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Pardon my SWASS

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks like you guys had a blast....wish I could of made. It was really nice of cschelk2 to invite us to his farm/land, if he has another event I hope to make it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Looks like you guys had a blast....wish I could of made. It was really nice of cschelk2 to invite us to his farm/land, if he has another event I hope to make it.
View Quote

I'm contemplating (and hoping for) a late evening and night shoot either this friday or saturday; i will post up accordingly.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#36]
We're doing a low key, evening/night shoot this saturday (Aug 1st).  If anyone is interested shoot me a PM
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top