Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2015 5:16:35 PM EDT
Hello.    I'm a Kentucky fellow checking in on the NFA situation in other states.    I am posting this in the Hometown forums of states neighboring Kentucky, to which I either visit or have visited in the past.  

Within your state, what are the real restrictions regarding NFA items?    

Suppressors
SBRs
SBSs
Select Fire/Full Auto/MG
AOWs
Destructive devices

To be clear, by "real" restrictions, I mean many states declare them illegal but allow them if they are federally registered NFA items.     This approach is used to allow local (city, county, and state) cops to trample rights, go anywhere to investigate rapid fire on a supposed "noise complaint", and demand papers, about which they generally know little to nothing.    In short, are NFA items technically legal, but the cops get to play games (in various ways and to various degrees) with your life and such is not uncommon?  

Some states like PA and TX fall into this category.     How are they treated in your state?    
(Note: I have heard TX is changing or has changed this situation.)

Is your state GTG?   Are there no restrictions at the state level?

Are there only restrictions on NFA as applied to hunting, such as no MGs for hunting?

Are they supposedly legal but only through an affirmative defense?

Are they full out illegal with state laws/charges on top of federal laws/charges?

Here is an example of a local cop investigating an NFA "incident" in PA.

Beyond this, how are things like bumpfiring, bumpfire stocks, TacCon 3MR triggers, Sig Braces, and other items like AR pistols  along with shotguns and rifles with folding stocks treated by the LEO community in your state and within your immediate area?

Finally, what do you dislike the most about the NFA situation in your state?

I would like to hear it straight from those who have to live with the situation and actually know something about the matter.    I will be using this information to make major lifestyle changes in the future.

Thank you for your time and input.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm looking forward to the well-thought out responses.  Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're a regular person, NFA is off-limits.  If you have a C&R FFL you can SBR.  Everything else is still a no-go.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:32:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I could go into what would happen around my part of the state and that would apply little to where you are visiting. Your best bet is to contact Todd Vandermite with the NRA. He is over on illinioscarry.com. Him or Swanhunter here would be your best bet in regard to your questions.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:50:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm looking forward to the well-thought out responses.  Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're a regular person, NFA is off-limits.  If you have a C&R FFL you can SBR.  Everything else is still a no-go.
View Quote

This.   SBR with a C&R, otherwise nothing else NFA at thsi time.  Todd (Vandermyde, NRA lobbyist for IL) is working on a suppressor bill but it's uncertain if it's going anywhere before the end of the legislative session as the leadership is still holding all the gun bills..   http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54821&hl=
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought AOW was (has been) GTG for some time. The SBR for FFL is more recent.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:38:00 AM EDT
[#6]
This. SBR with a C&R, otherwise nothing else NFA at thsi time. Todd (Vandermyde, NRA lobbyist for IL) is working on a suppressor bill but it's uncertain if it's going anywhere before the end of the legislative session as the leadership is still holding all the gun bills.. http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54821&hl=
View Quote

I don't see much moving on suppressors for a while.  The anti-folks are still angry about having to "give" us concealed carry.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:42:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't see much moving on suppressors for a while.  The anti-folks are still angry about having to "give" us concealed carry in office.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This. SBR with a C&R, otherwise nothing else NFA at thsi time. Todd (Vandermyde, NRA lobbyist for IL) is working on a suppressor bill but it's uncertain if it's going anywhere before the end of the legislative session as the leadership is still holding all the gun bills.. http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54821&hl=

I don't see much moving on suppressors for a while.  The anti-folks are still angry about having to "give" us concealed carry in office.

FIFY.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:52:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

FIFY.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY.

I stand corrected!
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#9]
SBR is legal with a C&R FFL (the SBR does not have to be a C&R).  ATF has interpreted this to mean that can't have an SBR on a trust in IL.

IIRC, some AOWs and DDs are legal in IL.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Just to throw this out there is there anyway to find out if anyone in IL has a MG registered on a trust.  That UUW law applies to person not a trust.

edit: I'd gladly be the test subject on this if someone were willing to part with a transferable MG to see if it would be approved then transfer it back to the owner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top