Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2015 10:55:46 AM EDT
I'm going to a conference next week in Chicago. This is the first time I've been to Chicago and was wondering if there are any things to check out downtown, places to eat, cool pictures to take (I'm into photography).

I'll be staying near Grant park (Hilton Chicago), so things in walking distance are preferred (I'll be by myself most of the time).

I would really like some Chicago-style pizza, recommendations greatly appreciated!

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Lou Malnati's Pizzeria
805 S State St
Chicago, IL 60605

It's about two blocks from the Hilton Chicago.  Walking directions and Lou's website for that location

Al's Beef
234 S Wabash Ave
Chicago, IL 60604

About half a mile from the Hilton Chicago.  Walking directions and website.

If you really, really like to walk, or feel brave enough to try a taxi or public transportation, there's always:

Portillo's
100 W Ontario St
Chicago, IL 60654

Walking directions and website.

Garrett Popcorn has numerous locations in the city, none especially close to the hotel, though.  The closest is about a mile north, just past Millennium Park on Michigan Avenue.  Walking directions
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Photography:  You're in Chicago.  There's a boatload of stuff to photograph, sometimes literally.  

Grant Park has Buckingham Fountain.  A little further north along Michigan Avenue you'll find Millennium Park with Cloud Gate, a.k.a. "The Bean".  At Michigan Avenue and the Chicago River, you can take a Chicago Architecture Foundation boat tour.  The Sears, uh, Willis Tower offers spectacular views of the city and lakefront.  Any number of boat cruises from Navy Pier (not really walking distance unless you really like to walk) will offer awesome photo ops of the city from the lake.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Great! Thanks for the time you put into this, I will check out the spots and report back.

I am going to check out Wrigley stadium while I'm there too. I'm a Nationals fan and they just so happen to play the Cubs on Mon-Wed evenings. There's not much I like about living in the MD/DC area, but the nationals are one of those few things.

The gun community is actually really big in MD believe it or not, that is the other thing I love about MD (despite the stupid politicians that we're trying to vote out one at a time, and partially succeeding).

Nonetheless, thanks again for your help. I'll definitely check out Lou Malnati's Pizzeria, I'm slobbering just looking at those picture
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:03:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Wrigley Stadium?

It's Wrigley Field, and GO CUBS.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wrigley Stadium?

It's Wrigley Field, and GO CUBS.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:50:51 AM EDT
[#6]

pequods pizza! accept no imitations!

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#7]
And, if you have time, visit the Skydeck and 'The Ledge' at Willis (Sears) Tower.

Just took an arfcommer that was in from Florida up there yesterday.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
And, if you have time, visit the Skydeck and 'The Ledge' at Willis (Sears) Tower.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81144293/20150523_110847_resized.jpg
View Quote

I've been meaning to get there.  I haven't been up there since the Ledge went in.  That's a definite photo op for the OP!  Is there much of a wait to get on the ledge, or pressure from the crowd to get off in a hurry?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've been meaning to get there.  I haven't been up there since the Ledge went in.  That's a definite photo op for the OP!  Is there much of a wait to get on the ledge, or pressure from the crowd to get off in a hurry?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81144293/20150523_110847_resized.jpg

Considering we were there on a Saturday on a holiday weekend, it wasn't too bad. But I think we beat the crowd by arriving fairly early. The deck opens at 9am we got there around 10am. The security line was already out the door and halfway down the block, but it moved quickly. There are metal detectors, so leave your carry piece and pocket knife in the car. Pro tip: buy your tickets online in advance, this will save tons of time http://theskydeck.com/ticketsshop/general-pricing/ After security it only took about 10-15 minutes to get up to the deck (we skipped the movie). There was a sizable queue for the ledges (there are 4). 2 have attendants that monitor your time on the ledge and have cameras if you want to buy their photos. The other 2 are pretty much a free-for-all. We went for the later, took another 15 or so minutes to get our turn. No one is there to monitor your time, for the most part people were courteous and didn't hog the ledge too long.

Oh and OP, don't forget to walk to Millennium Park and take a couple of 'the Bean', actually called Cloud Gate

Visiting arfcommer next to the Bean

Walking underneath
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Me and SBDs wife are trying to come up with a funny name for him being that he is the resident Chicago tour guide now.

(thats me in the pic of the ledge and my bald spot)

It was a great day. Easily second best day of my trip so far.
(Hard to beat the Grand Canyon)
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't forget the Field Museum, Mus of Science and Industry, or the Shedd Aquarium.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:05:13 AM EDT
[#13]
That's for all the suggestions guys.

I'm wrapped up my trip today a Wrigley Field with a win (go Nationals). I grew up loving the cubs too, so I proudly wore the free hat they gave out the whole game! It was really, really fun.

I was able to check out Wrigley field and the Bean/lakefront area, but I was at the conference most of the days/nights so I didn't get to travel around very often.

I did have some excellent food though! I ate at Lou Malnati's the first night (45 min wait for my carryout pizza ), then ate at Al's Beef and Epic Burger for two of the lunches. All of those places were extremely, extremely good! The buffalo blue cheese fries at Al's Beef is one of the most brilliant ideas I have ever seen! Also, Epic Burger was very tasty too (can't believe I've never tried an egg on a burger before).

The only place I ate that was very underwhelming was Wrigleyville Hot Dog. It was just flat out not good. I expected more of a "gourmet" hot dog place, but it was more like a McDonald's of hot dogs..

Overall, I had a great time in Chicago. In fact, I'm quite a bit surprised how much fun I had.

And although I am very happily married with an 8 month old daughter, there are some SMOKING hot women in Chicago... Hey, I'm married, not gay...

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Hopefully I can bring the family back in the near future to just visit (not work) so i can hit up some of the more touristy stops.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:22:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like a good time was had!  Sorry about the long wait at Lou Malnati's, though.  That's true for any deep dish pizza place.  For carry-out, calling ahead is key, unless you want to go to the bar to down a couple of cold ones while you're waiting.  I think some places will even let you call ahead for dining in so you don't have to wait 45 minutes at your table.  A lesson learned for your return trip, perhaps!

I love Chicago-style dogs, but I couldn't tell you where to find good ones in the city except for Portillo's.  I wonder how the dogs are at Al's.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#15]

what you read about Chicago on arfcom isn't totally true?

<~~~~~~~~~~~~my shocked face!

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
what you read about Chicago on arfcom isn't totally true?

<~~~~~~~~~~~~my shocked face!

View Quote

Haha. Well, there were about 13 killings and about 50 something shootings while I was there, so I can't say arfcom was entirely wrong! Haha

But i never felt unsafe in the touristy area I was in, I think that makes a huge difference. I'm pretty sure if I was staying in South Chicago my trip might have been different. But the same can be said about any large city (for the most part).
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I know I'm late, but everyone that goes to Chicago hits up the bean and post the same four pics from it on facebook. I always tell people skip the bean and go to the art institute right next door.  So many works of art(plus an armory of historical pieces.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top