Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2015 1:01:28 PM EDT
Neighbor is active duty non-resident.
He wanted to know if he can get an IL CCW.
He is not from one of the four non-resident approved states.

Anyone know the answer to this? Is this an ISP call?

Jazzemt or any STL area trainers- Do you have a website or contact info I can pass along?

Thanks-
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Reciprocity applies to a CCW license issued by another state.  If your friend is considered an Illinois resident and has a valid FOID, he could go through the same process as someone who has lived in Illinois all their life.

Prerequisites for a non-resident permit are

NON-RESIDENTS

•I am at least 21 years old.
•I have not been convicted of any Felony.
•I have not been adjudicated as a mental defective by a court of law.
•I have not been involuntarily committed to a facility for the purpose of mental health treatment.
•I have not been admitted as a voluntary patient in a facility for the purpose of mental health treatment within the past 5 years.
•I have not been addicted to narcotics.
•I am not intellectually disabled or developmentally disabled.
•I am not subject to any active Order of Protection.
•I have not within the past 5 years been convicted of battery, assault, aggravated assault, violation of an order of protection, or a substantially similar offense in which a firearm was used or possessed.
•I have not been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic battery or substantially similar offense.
•I have not been adjudicated a delinquent minor for the commission of an offense that if committed by an adult would be a felony.
•I have not been convicted or found guilty of a misdemeanor involving the threat of physical force or violence to any person within the past 5 years.
•I do not have 2 or more violations related to driving while under the influence of alcohol, other drugs, intoxicating compounds within the past 5 years.
•I am not subject to a pending arrest warrant, prosecution or proceeding for an offense or action that could lead to disqualification to own or possess a firearm.
•I have not been in a residential or court-ordered treatment for alcoholism, alcohol detoxification, or drug treatment within the past 5 years.
•You may be eligible if you satisfy the above and no objections are filed by law enforcement. (Section 15)

At any rate he could apply for a FOID with a copy of military orders documenting assignment to his current post.

Mark Owensby at Rampart Range is a top shelf instructor.

http://www.rampartrangeinc.com/index.html
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Jazzemt or any STL area trainers- Do you have a website or contact info I can pass along?

Thanks-
View Quote

Contact me at [email protected], 618-475-6423 or https://www.facebook.com/SoteriaTrainingSolutions. There is a way to do it but it is too much to explain on here.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:59:59 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

Short answer is NO.  Active duty folks stationed here can have a FOID and, by Fed. Law, are entitled to same perks as residents however, ISP has dug their heals in stating that they must have an IL drivers license.  That would require them change their residency.
Yes, we have put together a lawsuit addressing this very issue.
We are also trying to get it fixed in the trailer bill in Springfield.
We don't like to see our military folks getting jerked around!!!!
We'll just have to wait and see what the fix is.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you all very much for the knowledge!

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 12:32:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep, I've been screwed since moving here.  Can't carry on base and can't carry when I go anywhere else.  I'm so glad I have my other 2 CCWs that are worthless here, only good to me when I go to St Louis.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:09:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top