Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2015 10:31:04 PM EDT
Am I the only one who knows that it is entirely legal to ship to and own 30rd. mags in the majority of Illinois, especially Lake #*+#* County!!!!
I just had my money returned because one of our AR 15.com members believed it was illegal to ship mags to Illinois.
Let's do our homework boys and girls....please!!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:29:15 PM EDT
[#1]
How exactly is this technical?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, sending it to the IL HTF won't help either since that's preaching to the choir.  Maybe GD?

If it's any consolation, Smith & Wesson isn't any smarter than the EE seller, they're refusing to ship mags to Illinois in their current promotion:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_797653_-1_757992_757992_image
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:42:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Well, sending it to the IL HTF won't help either since that's preaching to the choir.  Maybe GD?

If it's any consolation, Smith & Wesson isn't any smarter than the EE seller, they're refusing to ship mags to Illinois in their current promotion:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_797653_-1_757992_757992_image
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?  I just emailed S&W.  Let's see if I get a response.

As for the OP...  Sorry to hear it.  There's a lot of derp out there, great and small.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

As for the OP...  Sorry to hear it.  There's a lot of derp out there, great and small.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm glad I saw this
I was going to order one of those,  the mag rebate makes it a good deal
That's a Deal breaker F S&W  No money for You...

There's lots of companies that don't know the laws or care for that matter
Try to order some ammo from Bass Pro, They wont ship in IL nor will they even allow for ship to store in IL

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm glad I saw this

Try to order some ammo from Bass Pro, They wont ship in IL nor will they even allow for ship to store in IL

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm glad I saw this

Some corporate lawyers are sharp, and some are maroons. The latter are usually not willing to measure and evaluate changing laws. What was good enough before is good enough now.

I just e-mailed the Vice President/General Counsel/Chief Compliance Officer of S&W and notified him of our current State laws.

I also mentioned that I recently bought a S&W M&P in Cook County, that it came with three 17-round mags, and that I live in Cook County also.

In the final analysis, those who will not sell us ammo, 17-round pistol mags, or 30-round AR mags will lose business to those who will.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Just to play Devil's Advocate -- heck we folks in Illinois get confused on what we can, may, and 'they probably won't try to enforce it because they know it's not legal' in this state with it's Chiraq corner.   They would need to keep a full time staff on guard given what is changing so fast (God bless the courts) in so many states.  

Having said that, while I understand their desire to stay 'legal,' and they can do it . . . without my business.  

Steps off soapbox.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#7]
S&W responded to the promotion concern in the industry forum with the following:

..."HI, Thanks for contacting S&W. To be clear, we are not limiting gun purchases in IL to 10 round magazines (Unless they are not allowed in the area being sold.), only the 3 free magazine offer is limited. Due to the multiple restrictions in certain counties, towns and cities in IL we are limiting the 3 free magazine promotion to 10 round magazines only. We do not have the ability to sort every submission based on a specific county or zip code, and due to the laws and penalties of shipping over 10 round magazines to a consumer in restricted areas, we will not ship anything over 10 rounds directly to any resident in IL for the 3 free magazine promotion. You can still purchase over 10 round magazines, if you county/town/city allows it. Regardless of state law, there are still several (Not just 1) cities, counties and towns that restrict magazine capacity. Thank you. S&W"...
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
S&W responded to the promotion concern in the industry forum with the following:

..."HI, Thanks for contacting S&W. To be clear, we are not limiting gun purchases in IL to 10 round magazines (Unless they are not allowed in the area being sold.), only the 3 free magazine offer is limited. Due to the multiple restrictions in certain counties, towns and cities in IL we are limiting the 3 free magazine promotion to 10 round magazines only. We do not have the ability to sort every submission based on a specific county or zip code, and due to the laws and penalties of shipping over 10 round magazines to a consumer in restricted areas, we will not ship anything over 10 rounds directly to any resident in IL for the 3 free magazine promotion. You can still purchase over 10 round magazines, if you county/town/city allows it. Regardless of state law, there are still several (Not just 1) cities, counties and towns that restrict magazine capacity. Thank you. S&W"...
View Quote

And I responded in their forum with my disappointment in their recent decision to basically say "sorry, IL, but fuck you".
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't blame the companies or private sellers who refuse to ship mags, ammo, anything to this state.  It isn't their job to learn the laws for each state and county within each state.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't blame the companies or private sellers who refuse to ship mags, ammo, anything to this state.  It isn't their job to learn the laws for each state and county within each state.
View Quote

Private sellers?  I can see that.  Companies the size of S&W?  They have legal teams that keep them on the right side of the law.  

Whatever S&W does obviously works for ordering magazines, so why can't they apply the same logic/technology to the promotion?  Laziness?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Private sellers?  I can see that.  Companies the size of S&W?  They have legal teams that keep them on the right side of the law.  

Whatever S&W does obviously works for ordering magazines, so why can't they apply the same logic/technology to the promotion?  Laziness?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They use distributors for their firearms who then sell to dealers.  Magazines are shipped from S&W (or a subsidiary) directly to the end user.  So it is a different process.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They use distributors for their firearms who then sell to dealers.  Magazines are shipped from S&W (or a subsidiary) directly to the end user.  So it is a different process.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the point.  An IL resident can order magazines with capacities exceeding 10 rounds directly from S&W.  Why can't the promotion follow those same rules?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:22:56 AM EDT
[#13]
PSA canceled my order on one of their 30 rd. mag specials; won't ship to IL...
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I just got an email reply from S&W. It was word for word the same response from the Industry forum.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

PSA? As in Palmetto State Armory? If so, I find that interesting. I have never had a problem with PSA shipping 30 round magazines to my residence in Illinois. In fact, I just received a shipping confirmation this morning for a few D&H 30 round magazines.

Are you located in a town/county that has magazine restrictions such as Cook, Chicago, Aurora, or Highland Park? If so, that would be your problem.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#16]
This is S&W's bullshit; if its SO difficult, then why did Sig get it right when they did their mag promotion last year? Idiots that just don't care.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#17]
my first AR that I bought from Cabelas in cook county came with a 30 round mag
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#18]
AIM surplus stopped selling high cap mags to crook county last year.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
AIM surplus stopped selling high cap mags to crook county last year.
View Quote

Which is hilarious because Cabella's in Hoffman Estates has tubs of 30rd PMAGs for sale. I can't wrap my head around these laws

I just store my AR at my GF's place in a more favorable county and call it a day until the courts slap these stupid laws down in cook county.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#20]
hmmm, I took advantage of the offer S&W had...years ago (7?) and received 17rd mags
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:22:16 PM EDT
[#21]
This is because of Cook county and Aurora.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#22]
You should have skipped sending S&W an email and gone straight to social media(Twitter or Facebook). The email you sent you sent is more of a private dealing and even though you're posting it here doesn't show the whole world that they're not doing their homework. using social media makes everyone that's having the same problem able to band together. I'm not hating on the manufacturer's but if they have money for lawyers and lobbyists maybe  they can set aside a little money to ensure that you don't live in a restricted area and open for business.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's odd because I have order lots of 30 rounders from PSA without issue.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I heard once that alot of the ammunition and mag retailers began refusing to sell to Illinois because attorney general lisa madigan sent out threatening letter. Could just be a rumor?

Put yourself in the shoes of the seller, mag and ammo margin is nil. Nada, next to zero. Why risk a potential law suit by the scary democratic machine for less than a buck a mag profit?
What mags were you trying to buy?  I've got some new mags I can sell you just collecting dust and I live in IL.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:38:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Beretta will not ship mags over 15 rounds to Illinois.  Just tried ordering a couple of 20 round 92 mags which are on sale.  It took them out of my cart stating they were not legal yet allowed me to buy 15 round mags.  I cancelled the order just prior to final submission.  I do not live in Chicago, Cook county, Aurora, or anyplace that has a magazine ban!
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:33:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Their email canceling the mags said IL; but their website says Cook county, which I do live in.
WesternSport (or maybe PA) had no problem shipping me some 30 rounders, and yeah I can drive to Cabelas 10 minutes away and buy some.

Edited with vendor adddtion
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:10:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Ive never been able to get an online store to ship me 30 round mags. Just bought a 30 round pmag at cabelas though
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#28]
So can I sell someone who lives in Chicago 30rd AR mags if we meet outside in the burbs?
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Surefire won't ship their mags to IL either.  Seems like a good chunk of revenue lost due to poor coding.  It can't be that hard to interpret zip code information into an ordering system.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#30]
There are plenty of magazine vendors that do things the right way.  Just take your business to a company that wants it.

I've ordered a bunch of 30 rounders from 44mag.com and from DSG Arms.  Never had an issue.

44 has NHMTG's on closeout for $13, and DSG has 10 packs of PMAGS for $100.  Order 'em up and have a few extras
for the next panic.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 10:26:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Beretta will not ship mags over 15 rounds to Illinois.  Just tried ordering a couple of 20 round 92 mags which are on sale.  It took them out of my cart stating they were not legal yet allowed me to buy 15 round mags.  I cancelled the order just prior to final submission.  I do not live in Chicago, Cook county, Aurora, or anyplace that has a magazine ban!
View Quote

Beretta shipped me 6, 30rnd and 4, 20rnd mags no problem last year.
Will Co.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top