Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2015 1:07:31 PM EDT
ok so my boss lives in Mokena, one of those big fancy neighborhoods where you can put up any type of fence,
so last night he has to let his little yorkie out to do his business, when he see's  a male and female yote with three cubs in his back yard. if the yotes attack him or his runt of a dog can he leagly  shoot one/them. or does he  have to beat a pot with a spoon to stop an  attack/??

I say he can to protect him, family or runt of a dog, another co worker says you can not fire a gun in Mokena.

whos right??
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Per the municipal firearm law section on ISP's website:

It shall be unlawful to discharge any firearm or air gun in the village.  This excludes peace officers or citizens lawfully defending their person or property.......I would have to imagine coyotes in your yard attacking your dog would not fall under this exclusion.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#2]
why wouldn't it, your pet is considered property, in illinois
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess he could call and find out, but I suspect shooting at coyotes in an incorporated town will be frowned upon.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah we could all guess, but that's why I asked in here I thought mayber someone would know for sure and not guess
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#5]
It is hard to answer with certainty of the law as there are conflicting laws to a degree.  I don't know the area or his neighbors.  Or...him???  If he is in fear of bodily harm, he has the right to protect himself...I would say it would be the same for his pet.  However, if he is protecting his dog against coyotes and opens up on them with a barrage of AK-47 rounds with neighbors close by, then he is the threat to their bodily harm.

First thing I would do is call local police and tell them he can't leave his dog or kids out unattended and ask for suggestions.  Banging pans is not a solution to a recurring problem.  If they don't have an solution, I would suggest .22 CB caps.  If they are in the yard, they are in range.  They might not drop dead but, they will eventually go down and CB caps are low velocity and very quiet...they would be less dangerous in a populated area but still caution would be needed.

I'm not a lawyer, I don't know the specifics of this situation, and this is a little out of my area but, it is what I would start out with given the info posted...
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Call the local PD and ask. A possible solution (this is going to sound silly but supposedly works) is to start nailing the coyotes with paintballs.  Obviously from a safe distance or even from within the home.  Once they associate that area with being shot with paintballs, that may be a good enough deterrent to send them elsewhere.  Some municipalities are trying it in Kane County.  I would just make sure he lets the neighbors know what he is planning to do, so they don't call the cops on him for "shooting puppies"...

ETA: Crappy spelling...
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't know what he saw but coyotes have pups, not cubs, and there are no pups this time of year.  By now last years pups are full grown and right now coyotes are paired up for mating.  

And it probably depends on if he has any dick neighbors who would call the police if they heard a gunshot.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:24:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yeah we could all guess, but that's why I asked in here I thought mayber someone would know for sure and not guess
View Quote

Wouldn't you think it might be better to find out from town authorities instead of from some guy on arfcom?
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Not to be rude, but before the legality question, I'd have to ask if he's calculated if there are any safe lanes of fire for him to use? Shooting off into the 'distance' in a populated area is not really sound plan; I'd want to know there were earth or other backstops to definitively stop any rounds I launched.

I live in a relatively 'open' suburban area, on a fair suburban lot, and there aren't really ANY directions I'd consider 'safe' to fire a firearm.

FWIW,

Larry
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Neighborhood is , homes are all on at least an acre . Obviously if yotes  were attacking rat of a dog it would be. CLose quarters, not shooting 100 yards

Why ask "authorities" when I can ask all the experts  here?

Link Posted: 3/13/2015 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#11]
problem kinda solved,one coyote came into garage .sss
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
problem kinda solved,one coyote came into garage .sss
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:04:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Strangely enough, I live in Mokena and my 4 year old keeps telling me she saw a wolf in the yard the other night...  I figured it was just a dog that got loose.  Maybe a large coyote?  Ill have to keep my eyes open on this.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I live in mokena over near the village hall, and I've seen them twice in my backyard. They are definitely creeping around. Keep and eye out for small pets and kids. I've seen hem out even I'm the early afternoon!
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#15]
We're in unincorporated Frankfort, adjacent to Mokena's Eastern border, and we have LOTS of coyotes. Some seem above 50#, some come out during the day lately and are NOT afraid of humans. We live adjacent to a 40 acre prairie, and every night hear them getting rabbits.

Larry
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

We're in unincorporated Frankfort, adjacent to Mokena's Eastern border, and we have LOTS of coyotes. Some seem above 50#, some come out during the day lately and are NOT afraid of humans. We live adjacent to a 40 acre prairie, and every night here them getting rabbits.

Larry
View Quote
Heck, we're in Bolingbrook and we get coyotes coming around in the day no less and hear them every night within about 250 yards.

I like the paintball/bb approach: they'll learn.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top