Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2015 10:43:33 AM EDT
We'll be traveling through Illinois this summer heading for SD for some prairie dog hunting. Several of us carry concealed. Any advice for a guy from PA?   We are not planning on stopping simply traveling through.  Any thoughts?  How rough will the LEOs be if we get caught?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#1]
First, check to see if IL reciprocates. I'm guessing it doesn't. I've seen conflicting info over which states it does reciprocate for, but PA is never on the "yes" side of it.

Second, there's laws about out-of-staters bringing firearms through IL. I am pretty sure it's okay if it's in a closed container in your passenger compartment or in your trunk (double check of course). If IL doesn't reciprocate with your state's CCW and you get caught with the gun in your possession, it's going to depend on what part of IL you go through, but it's unlikely to be pleasant. Definitely avoid the entire Chicago area if you want to actually carry or have it accessible in your car against the law.

Basically, IL allows carry-through of firearms in closed containers in trunks in cars. I'm not 100% on the law, but going much further than that is going to run you into legal troubles.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:11:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:01:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, What Roadhawk said.

Long guns just need to be unloaded and enclosed in a case...no restrictions on where they are located or where the ammo is carried in the vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#4]
And remember - a "concealed firearm" (see Roadhawk's post) in IL means a handgun only.

So make sure your rifles used for hunting are unloaded and completely enclosed in a case!

You will be spending very little time in Chicago assuming you travel on I-80.  Follow the law

in the quoted section and you won't have any trouble.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First, check to see if IL reciprocates. I'm guessing it doesn't. I've seen conflicting info over which states it does reciprocate for, but PA is never on the "yes" side of it.

Second, there's laws about out-of-staters bringing firearms through IL. I am pretty sure it's okay if it's in a closed container in your passenger compartment or in your trunk (double check of course). If IL doesn't reciprocate with your state's CCW and you get caught with the gun in your possession, it's going to depend on what part of IL you go through, but it's unlikely to be pleasant. Definitely avoid the entire Chicago area if you want to actually carry or have it accessible in your car against the law.

Basically, IL allows carry-through of firearms in closed containers in trunks in cars. I'm not 100% on the law, but going much further than that is going to run you into legal troubles.
View Quote

pay no attention to this post, non of it is true for handguns

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Excellent !  Thanks a lot guys, that gives me peace of mind.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

While the absolutely safest method - in terms of an overly eager officer supported by a rabidly anti-2A DA and an uncontrollable compulsion to agree to the question "may I search your vehicle?" - is as described, the law states:

If they're in the trunk*, and the trunk cannot be readily accessed from the passenger compartment they're fine legal, loaded or unloaded.
If they're in the trunk broken down they're fine legal.
If they're in the passenger compartment broken down they're fine legal, even uncased.
If they're immediately accessible they need to be unloaded and enclosed, except for CCH's as described.

720 ILCS 5 - Deadly Weapons

* "trunk" in this case would also include the rear of a pickup, a trailer or cargo topper,  as long as it's an area that cannot be reached from the passenger compartment.

Edited to clarify that "fine" may be legal, but not acceptable to certain uninformed or biased officers; ad there are too many who feel it's perfectly acceptable to ignore the law, especially wheen they're given attaboys by their superiors.

Stay out of Chicago and the chances of that behavior decrease dramatically though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And remember - a "concealed firearm" (see Roadhawk's post) in IL means a handgun only.

So make sure your rifles used for hunting are unloaded and completely enclosed in a case!

You will be spending very little time in Chicago assuming you travel on I-80.  Follow the law

in the quoted section and you won't have any trouble.

While the absolutely safest method - in terms of an overly eager officer supported by a rabidly anti-2A DA and an uncontrollable compulsion to agree to the question "may I search your vehicle?" - is as described, the law states:

this subsection (a) (4) (covering possession of firearms in vehicles or upon your person) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:

(i) are broken down in a non-functioning state; or
           (ii) are not immediately accessible; or
           (iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container

If they're in the trunk*, and the trunk cannot be readily accessed from the passenger compartment they're fine legal, loaded or unloaded.
If they're in the trunk broken down they're fine legal.
If they're in the passenger compartment broken down they're fine legal, even uncased.
If they're immediately accessible they need to be unloaded and enclosed, except for CCH's as described.

720 ILCS 5 - Deadly Weapons

* "trunk" in this case would also include the rear of a pickup, a trailer or cargo topper,  as long as it's an area that cannot be reached from the passenger compartment.

Edited to clarify that "fine" may be legal, but not acceptable to certain uninformed or biased officers; ad there are too many who feel it's perfectly acceptable to ignore the law, especially wheen they're given attaboys by their superiors.

Stay out of Chicago and the chances of that behavior decrease dramatically though.

Yes, but the Wildlife Code also comes into play which requires unloaded and encased. See the State Police transport brochure.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:42:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, but the Wildlife Code also comes into play which requires unloaded and encased. See the State Police transport brochure.
View Quote

Try getting one of those brochures...they are out of date and unavailable...

This code violation has always only applied to: while you are hunting.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:50:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#11]
So if I read this correctly; even though IL and MN don't have reciprocity I can still carry a loaded firearm in my vehicle?
Need to pick someone up from Midway in the near future when I visit IL.
Any concerns in Midway area?
Thanks

Quoted:
Under our new concealed carry law, a non-resident who is eligible to carry in his home state can carry loaded in a vehicle while driving through Illinois.  If you leave the car you must either leave the gun in the car or unload and encase.  You can have a loaded gun on you or in your car and it does not have to be cased or out of reach.

Edited to add the applicable law...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Under our new concealed carry law, a non-resident who is eligible to carry in his home state can carry loaded in a vehicle while driving through Illinois.  If you leave the car you must either leave the gun in the car or unload and encase.  You can have a loaded gun on you or in your car and it does not have to be cased or out of reach.

Edited to add the applicable law...

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from
transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in
Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her
vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the
laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended,
he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or
locked container within the vehicle in accordance with
subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I can still carry a loaded firearm in my vehicle
View Quote

Yes, on you or in your vehicle you can carry a loaded handgun if you are legal to do same in your home state.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:04:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So if I read this correctly; even though IL and MN don't have reciprocity I can still carry a loaded firearm in my vehicle?
Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thanks

No issues, at least according to the law.  By some miracle the people that

managed the bill through the IL legislature got us statewide preemption for

handguns.  Just make sure you follow the law quoted in this thread.

ETA:

(b) Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this Section, the regulation, licensing, possession, and registration of handguns and ammunition for a handgun, and the transportation of any firearm and ammunition by a holder of a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card issued by the Department of State Police under this Act are exclusive powers and functions of this State. Any ordinance or regulation, or portion of that ordinance or regulation, enacted on or before the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly that purports to impose regulations or restrictions on a holder of a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card issued by the Department of State Police under this Act in a manner that is inconsistent with this Act, on the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly, shall be invalid in its application to a holder of a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card issued by the Department of State Police under this Act.

(c) Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this Section, the regulation of the possession or ownership of assault weapons are exclusive powers and functions of this State. Any ordinance or regulation, or portion of that ordinance or regulation, that purports to regulate the possession or ownership of assault weapons in a manner that is inconsistent with this Act, shall be invalid unless the ordinance or regulation is enacted on, before, or within 10 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly. Any ordinance or regulation described in this subsection (c) enacted more than 10 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly is invalid. An ordinance enacted on, before, or within 10 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly may be amended. The enactment or amendment of ordinances under this subsection (c) are subject to the submission requirements of Section 13.3. For the purposes of this subsection, "assault weapons" means firearms designated by either make or model or by a test or list of cosmetic features that cumulatively would place the firearm into a definition of "assault weapon" under the ordinance.

(d) For the purposes of this Section, "handgun" has the meaning ascribed to it in Section 5 of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

(e) This Section is a denial and limitation of home rule powers and functions under subsection (h) of Section 6 of Article VII of the Illinois Constitution.
(Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13.)
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks,
Hopefully the weather is nice when I'm out IL in a few weeks.
Kudos to IL legislature for having some common sense. Now to push my local reps to get reciprocity with IL
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Now to push my local reps to get reciprocity with IL
View Quote

That sure wouldn't hurt...pressure from you side along with pressure from our side...The problem is on our end...Cook County Democrats and Democratic leadership.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:46:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks,
Hopefully the weather is nice when I'm out IL in a few weeks.
Kudos to IL legislature for having some common sense. Now to push my local reps to get reciprocity with IL
View Quote

MN does one-way recognition, they have no provision for reciprocity agreements.  If they would do an agreement you'd probably pick up NM and maybe a few other states.

I've inquired with MN DPS as to whether MN has evaluated the IL licenses for recognition in MN but can't get an answer.

IL has no provision for full recognition of other licenses.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Slightly different questions along the same lines.

I will be traveling to Oak Brook to stay a couple of days. I have a NC CCH. Does the law qouted apply if your end destination is within IL?

If so, it sounds like I have to disassemble my pistol before taking it in to the hotel.

Is there any law requiring the pistol to stay disassembled in the hotel?

Is there a cap on the magazine capacity or type of ammo,  I.e. 10 res and no hollow points or anything else funky I need to know?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:03:55 PM EDT
[#20]
you are good as Roadhawk described.

I would suggest (to meet the full measure of the law) you unload inside your car and throw it in a case with the loaded magazine or if you can access your luggage that closes, just put it in there until you get in your room (which becomes your abode)
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:41:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I will be traveling to Oak Brook to stay a couple of days. I have a NC CCH. Does the law qouted apply if your end destination is within IL?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Destination is irrelevant.

If so, it sounds like I have to disassemble my pistol before taking it in to the hotel.

Do not have to disassemble, just unload and in a case (some kind of container that encloses the firearm completely).  Unload means magazine out and empty chamber.

Is there any law requiring the pistol to stay disassembled in the hotel?

Can be loaded in your room as that is now your domicile.

Is there a cap on the magazine capacity or type of ammo,  I.e. 10 res and no hollow points or anything else funky I need to know?

No state restrictions on magazines or hollowpoints.  There are a few cities that have magazine capacity limits, which in theory may have been preempted for handguns but there is no caselaw yet on that question.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:57:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Thank you all for the quick and thorough replies.

It isn't as bad as I had feared when I found out I had to go up there.

G-
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks everyone for this great thread.  It kept me from asking the same questions.  I'll be in Des Plaines/Chicago starting April 30th for four days.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#24]
I80 does not go through Chicago.   It does go through Cook County though....watch your speed as you leave the tollway portion.   There  is a trooper that sits in the median in Hazelcrest/country club hills, right after the first hill after the tollway by the BIG US flag.  Also look out for the one west of I57 before harlem.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#25]
I worked in IL on two occasions last year and have a CHL n Texas. What I was told by ISP (I called the department over CC) was exactly what has been stated, with one exception.
Out of state CHL
Carrying in vehicle, or person while in vehicle,  loaded ok
When going from vehicle to hotel: unload, store in locked case.
When in hotel: load carry as usual.

As you can see it basically is the same as everyone is saying, with the exception of locking the case. He even said you could use one of the cable locks, in case you needed to get in the case quick.

Headed back up there Monday.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I worked in IL on two occasions last year and have a CHL n Texas. What I was told by ISP (I called the department over CC) was exactly what has been stated, with one exception.
Out of state CHL
Carrying in vehicle, or person while in vehicle,  loaded ok
When in hotel: load carry as usual.

As you can see it basically is the same as everyone is saying, with the exception of locking the case. He even said you could use one of the cable locks, in case you needed to get in the case quick.

Headed back up there Monday.
View Quote

They told you that is the law, or just ISP's opinion about what would be nice?

ISP has a history on this, and their advice is generally geared to keeping the

uninformed out of trouble and/or promoting their political agenda depending on

which way you see it.  

I've reviewed the UUW Act, CCL Act, and the FOID Act in the past and I recall

several references to unloaded in a case - and have no recollection of references

to unloaded and locked in a case.  

The problem with IL law is that it is VERY inconsistent with the way it

treats residents vs non-residents, and it becomes very confusing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

I think the law calls for having a lock between the gun and the outside world when leaving in vehicle.  Locking the vehicle meets the requirements of the law.  It has been our experience that the ISP and officers have been among the worst sources of correct information about the CCL.

By law, the gun would have to be unloaded and enclosed to transport into your hotel room where you could reload it.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:50:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think the law calls for having a lock between the gun and the outside world when leaving in vehicle.  Locking the vehicle meets the requirements of the law.  It has been our experience that the ISP and officers have been among the worst sources of correct information about the CCL.

By law, the gun would have to be unloaded and enclosed to transport into your hotel room where you could reload it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's only required to be locked in the vehicle if you're in a carry restricted zone, that's my reading of it anyway (not that locking your doors isn't a good idea anyway).  And only if you're a licensee under the FCCA.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top