Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2015 2:01:27 PM EDT
Just a FYI in case you don't notice next time you order something from them.

Of course I am sure everyone here was already obeying all necessary tax laws so this only makes filing your 2015 tax returns easier next January.Unless, that is, you order from the non amazon shippers for most items that generally have the same price as amazon and offer free shipping but are out of state - they don't charge tax.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just a FYI in case you don't notice next time you order something from them.

Of course I am sure everyone here was already obeying all necessary tax laws so this only makes filing your 2015 tax returns easier next January.Unless, that is, you order from the non amazon shippers for most items that generally have the same price as amazon and offer free shipping but are out of state - they don't charge tax.  
View Quote

According to my orders, this began on February 1. Just in time for the ACOG I ordered the other day.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, we can thank the gone jackass governor for bringing them into the state and hosing us.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, we can thank the gone jackass governor for bringing them into the state and hosing us.
View Quote

Yup. A huge warehouse and sales tax to go along with all Amazon sales in the state... Ought to help out the state budget a bit. Hopefully Rauner will use some common sense on how to properly administer the state's finances.

But Quinn's gone now... whatcha gonna do?
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yup. A huge warehouse and sales tax to go along with all Amazon sales in the state... Ought to help out the state budget a bit. Hopefully Rauner will use some common sense on how to properly administer the state's finances.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're kidding, right?  You really think the Dem controlled state Congress is going to give him a budget that doesn't have tons of welfare/entitlement programs?
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You're kidding, right?  You really think the Dem controlled state Congress is going to give him a budget that doesn't have tons of welfare/entitlement programs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're gonna have to try to override a lot of vetoes... hopefully
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#6]
>
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I found out last week a couple of days before my prime subscription was about to renew. I cancelled it and I will be ordering a lot less through them now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 12:33:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the reminder about this. Haven't ordered through Amazon yet this year, but will be cancelling my Prime membership.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I found out last week a couple of days before my prime subscription was about to renew. I cancelled it and I will be ordering a lot less through them now.
View Quote

I'm conflicted about the Prime membership myself, two day shipping is nice when you need it, but after this I will likely be in it just for their prime digital content. I keep hoping that at some point they offer prime without free shipping for cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm conflicted about the Prime membershipt myself, two day shipping is nice when you need it, but after this I will likely be in it just for their prime digital content. I keep hoping that at some point they offer prime without free shipping for cheaper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm conflicted about the Prime membershipt myself, two day shipping is nice when you need it, but after this I will likely be in it just for their prime digital content. I keep hoping that at some point they offer prime without free shipping for cheaper.

I'm keeping my prime...  I buy too much from Amazon to not have it.  It more than pays for itself, taxes or not.  Just sucks that the whole tax free thing is blown for the entire state.

In fact, you can abuse the prime membership if you choose.  If you have several people who want to go in on a Prime account, you simply set your friends up as relatives.  All you need to know is each other's bdays to do it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:25:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm conflicted about the Prime membershipt myself, two day shipping is nice when you need it, but after this I will likely be in it just for their prime digital content.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm conflicted about the Prime membershipt myself, two day shipping is nice when you need it, but after this I will likely be in it just for their prime digital content.

I pretty much used Prime for 2 day shipping and watching movies or TV shows offered under Prime. Since I started a Netflix subscription a few months ago, I stopped using Prime for digital content, and the tax on stuff they sell put the final nail in the coffin for me. Also, my subscription last year got renewed right before the price hike, so the extra $20 was also a factor.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:16:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't have cable, so the Prime video alone is worth the yearly fee.

I'll still start my shopping there, with the Smile donation set to NRA Foundation

If I can find it elsewhere with no tax and shipping, the other guy wins.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:51:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Overstock.com    F*** Quinn and Durbin
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 9:45:11 PM EDT
[#14]
overstock prices suck
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:21:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I used amazon from time to time but have completely stopped buying now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:57:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I just compare prices. If Amazon is cheaper, I still buy from them. I think having the facility here helps the state financially and we can use all the help we get. I'm actually surprised Amazon would come here. The business climate would be better somewhere else, I would think.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:09:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I compare prices too and usually end up buying from Amazon. I was reading that the tax is 6.25 so still a little less than Crook.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:23:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I compare prices too and usually end up buying from Amazon. I was reading that the tax is 6.25 so still a little less than Crook.
View Quote

I'm finding many if not most things are not cheaper on Amazon than other places to start with, tax or no. For example I just restocked on hydrocortisone cream (psoriasis + winter in Illinois sucks) and a few other assorted first aid and toiletry bits like triple antibiotic ointment. This was generics being compared to generics, everything I looked at was about 1/4 to 1/2 the price on Wal-Mart.com with free shipping over $50.

I recently had a specific TV I was looking for, Costco and Sams Club both had it $30 cheaper than amazon with free shipping as well. There are deals to be had but anyone who just orders without price checking is getting raped.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:00:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I still buy from Amazon because it is still convenient. Plus I don't have to deal with folks that works at the brick and mortar store that make you feel like you ruined their day because you asked them a question about the item.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm buying less from Amazon; I think their coming in to IL to try and prop up Quinn was reprehensible... but a sales tax on an item from a company with in state presence is preferable to paying that evil unconstitutional 'call it a use tax' interstate sales tax ill-annoy imposes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:33:36 AM EDT
[#21]
simplifies my taxes a little bit!
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#22]
just how does that work when I download something on my Kindle?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:00:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
overstock prices suck
View Quote

so does their selection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top