Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/6/2015 5:42:36 PM EDT
Anyone know anything about this?

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=433&GAID=13&DocTypeID=HB&LegId=84796&SessionID=88&GA=99

Its regarding legalizing NFA suppressors. Synopsis is:

Amends the Wildlife Code. Removes a prohibition on the use of a silencer or other device to muffle or mute the sound of the explosion or report resulting from the firing of any gun. Provides that no person shall, carry, possess, transport or use a silencer, suppressor or other device to muffle or mute the sound of the explosion or report resulting from the firing of any gun for the taking of game, unless such silencer, suppressor, or device is in compliance with the National Firearms Act. Any game animal regulated under this Act may be taken within its season with a silencer, suppressor, or device to muffle or mute the sound of the explosion or report resulting from the firing of any gun. A silencer, suppressor, or device to muffle or mute the sound of the explosion or report resulting from the firing of any gun may be used when taking wildlife in accordance with a specified provision concerning the authority to kill wildlife responsible for damage. Effective immediately.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Smart attaching suppressors to hunting since that's about the only way it'll pass. Would this language mean they can only be used while hunting though?
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Smart attaching suppressors to hunting since that's about the only way it'll pass. Would this language mean they can only be used while hunting though?
View Quote

It does read, to me, like its intent is to allow them for hunting use only.  BUT... realize how politics works... get your foot in the door first, then take baby steps (straight from the liberals' playbook).

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 10:21:45 PM EDT
[#3]
So, how would this mesh with the UUW statute?

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=072000050HTit.+III+Pt.+D&ActID=1876&ChapterID=53&SeqStart=68100000&SeqEnd=79600000

(720 ILCS 5/24-1) (from Ch. 38, par. 24-1)
   Sec. 24-1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.
   (a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:
       (6) Possesses any device or attachment of any kind designed, used or intended for use in silencing the report of any firearm; or
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:13:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Just got off the phone with Todd.
The bill was introduced several days ago...we have been low key about it as we don't want to give ammo to the Northern Dems.

At this point what we are wanting folks to do is call their legislators and ask them to support it.  We are not wanting to broadcast names of any that are in support as we don't want the anti's to target them...
If you get a surprising response from a legislator, you might PM or e-mail me so we know where that person stands....Just try to keep it off open forums for now...

The talking points are...for concealed carry arguments, we don't see someone trying to carry a pistol with an 8" suppressor hanging on the end of it and the shrill voices that will be against it are the same ones that have predicted concealed carry would cause blood baths and the wild wild west...they were wrong about that and they are wrong about this.  Also, I think Todd said 34 states allow for hunting and 39 allow ownership.

Mike

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:01:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, Mike. I just saw Illinois Carry post this article on Facebook:  http://www.bnd.com/2015/02/06/3649514_bill-would-allow-illinois-gun.html?rh=1
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:19:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Thought of something else. We would be able to use a trust for suppressors, correct? I know it's a no-go with SBR's, but it should be fine in this case.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:40:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I think I would cry if suppressors were legalized.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#8]
no, it would empty my bank account quicker than you could think
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Mark Walsh, campaign director for the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence, said Illinois has about 1,000 deaths annually from gunshots, including homicides and suicides.
View Quote

Wonder how many of those are in Crook County?  Probably the vast majority.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#11]

We just need to have a line in there about hunting paper and steel too.
View Quote

If it makes it to law...We will be ok before it is done.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:55:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Just saw that my Senator was the one that proposed the senate version.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:07:25 PM EDT
[#14]
seems like there would be limited uses for hunting with  suppressors in Illinois  

if I is only hunting at least its a start
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Heck of this passes I'll be hunting the dreaded paper tailed deer at the range twice a week.

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm sure the residents around the outdoor ranges would be for it too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#17]
My reading of that language is that it contains nothing that would indicate suppressor's could ONLY be used for hunting. Nicely worded, actually.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 8:58:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My reading of that language is that it contains nothing that would indicate suppressor's could ONLY be used for hunting. Nicely worded, actually.
View Quote

They will have to add language that amends the UUW statute as well, since as the bill sits, suppressors would be legal under the Wildlife Code, but they could still get you for Unlawful Use of a Weapon.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:06:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Say by chance this passes, would be looking a Jan. 1, 2016  to apply?
Not familiar with how these things work.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:45:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Say by chance this passes, would be looking a Jan. 1, 2016  to apply?
Not familiar with how these things work.
View Quote

6.7 posts per year average... this must be important to you.

The text of the bill says "effective immediately", which would mean it would become law the moment Gov. Rauner signed it.  I wouldn't be surprised to see an amendment changing that, though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I am following this guys saw this article here
I think the push for vets with hearing loss is a smart move and I am very interested to see what happens.  Hopefully Iowa will have a strong bill and following this year as well.  Just letting you guys know there is support all over and to holler if you need help with something.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I guess I should send off for my SOT.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:19:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Awesome to hear* the ball is rolling. I think they need to look at the issue with suppressors as an act of courtesy. I have a small range on my property in a very rural area, with only 2 neighbors. They certainly do not oppose a couple of us shooting, but I believe they wouldn't mind me legally using a suppressor to target shoot, to be less of bother to their day.  And I would feel like a better neighbor  using a suppressor. I went to Norway once, they sell suppressors over the counter like a pair of sunglasses, in their culture it's considered rude to shoot without a suppressor, they have a totally different aspect on the issue!!- and their exactly right!!! I think if we can get the politicians and general public to understand this positive aspect, the legal use and possession of suppressors would be more greatly accepted.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#24]
This is awesome, I'm going to fire off some emails and have everyone at work do the same.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:33:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I guess I should send off for my SOT.
View Quote

DO EET! DO EET NAO!!!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
seems like there would be limited uses for hunting with  suppressors in Illinois  

View Quote

The only thing you can hunt in Illinois with a rifle is... coyotes? It's a start though!
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 3:00:35 PM EDT
[#27]
If it passes you will be able to own them for more than just hunting. Contact your state reps everyone.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 8:05:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The only thing you can hunt in Illinois with a rifle is... coyotes? It's a start though!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Squirrel with subsonic 22 (rabbit allowed too)
Groundhog
Crow?
Deer with handgun (How about a 10" T/C contender handgun in a legal round with suppressor!)

Just ideas--the squirrel one seems ideal though if you do that kind of thing.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 9:39:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Looks like im gonna be a regular at the plasma bank again if this passes
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:07:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Squirrel with subsonic 22 (rabbit allowed too)
Groundhog
Crow?
Deer with handgun (Single shot AR-15 Pistol in .300 Blackout)

Just ideas--the squirrel one seems ideal though if you do that kind of thing.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Racoon, squirrel.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I really hope it moves forward. Id like to do what I can to keep noise down at indoor ranges (for my sake) and outdoors for others.

Emailing my reps now!
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 2:27:59 AM EDT
[#33]
My rep (who supports the bill) said this already has the attention of Chi Dems. It's likely Madigan won't let it come up for a vote.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#34]
a few answers for people.

1. it was introduced in a specific way for a specific reason. An amendment will be coming.

2. The AP picked up on it sooner than we had hoped, but we will continue to work the bill. Biggest thing right now is educating legislators and getting them on board.

3. There is a long time till the end of session. Carry didn't come in to play until the end of session.

4. Send me the name of the downstate legislators who was talkign to the chicago dem.

5. I am running a private email list for updates. I write them and email them out to give people the latest info that we have or when a change occurs.

6. keep inside details stuff off the public forums. Anti-gunners troll hee and other places like Illinois Carry for information. They are not gun guy and don;t get all the details and little things. asking to many questions or weeing and moaning about this or that only gives them idea and avenues to work against us OPSEC people. We have the difficult task of tryign to comuunicate information with out tipping our hand. Not an easy task for eople on our side who are hungry for information and details.

Todd
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It does read, to me, like its intent is to allow them for hunting use only.  BUT... realize how politics works... get your foot in the door first, then take baby steps (straight from the liberals' playbook).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

next baby step  is ................... I need to practice  with   a oppressor    only way to beat liberals  is to user their tactics
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#36]
This is what I have been calling for. This is also being promoted by a Democrat, can`t be a Cook County Democrat if Cook County people had there way no gun for you. If you remember the fight over conceal carry was Cook County versus the rest of the state, Democrats were pitted against Democrats.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#37]
This is what I have been calling for. This is also being promoted by a Democrat, can`t be a Cook County Democrat if Cook County people had there way no gun for you. If you remember the fight over conceal carry was Cook County versus the rest of the state, Democrats were pitted against Democrats.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Someone needs to kick Madigan in his ass

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:21:00 AM EDT
[#39]
My Rep is already behind it 100%

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for the update, Todd!  Do you have a timeline on this?

Quoted:
a few answers for people.

1. it was introduced in a specific way for a specific reason. An amendment will be coming.

2. The AP picked up on it sooner than we had hoped, but we will continue to work the bill. Biggest thing right now is educating legislators and getting them on board.

3. There is a long time till the end of session. Carry didn't come in to play until the end of session.

4. Send me the name of the downstate legislators who was talkign to the chicago dem.

5. I am running a private email list for updates. I write them and email them out to give people the latest info that we have or when a change occurs.

6. keep inside details stuff off the public forums. Anti-gunners troll hee and other places like Illinois Carry for information. They are not gun guy and don;t get all the details and little things. asking to many questions or weeing and moaning about this or that only gives them idea and avenues to work against us OPSEC people. We have the difficult task of tryign to comuunicate information with out tipping our hand. Not an easy task for eople on our side who are hungry for information and details.

Todd
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/18/2015 12:52:08 AM EDT
[#41]
In regards to Veterans qualifying for Suppressors, does a medical note/ audiologist exam needed?

Also, would be nice for non-hunters can qualify too, since I'm stuck shooting my rifle indoors at Article 2....my ears are ringing despite using combination of Surefire EP7 and HW Sportsman.

Thanks Todd
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#42]
The Suppressor Bill has hit the Madigan Bump in the Road...it has been assigned to the – judiciary/criminal committee...It is heavily weighted against anything pro-gun so, it won't make it out of there without the blessing of Madigan.  This move isn't a surprise and according to Todd, is just part of the long process on the road to suppression.
It will take some maneuvering to get the bill moving along and continued pressure on legislators is the best tool we have right now...Putting pressure on down state Dems. is a good part of that strategy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Putting pressure on down state Dems. is a good part of that strategy.
View Quote

Are there any downstate Dems on that committee that are movable on this issue?
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 5:20:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Putting pressure on down state Dems. is a good part of that strategy.

It really wouldn't matter if there were...I know how this works...if Madigan says it doesn't come to the floor, it won't!  He has to "allow" it...even if it passed the committee, he would just refuse to call it.  Crap like this is what is wrong with this state.  The Democrats have a stranglehold on the state and as long as we have Chicago, that isn't likely to change.

About all we can do is bring pressure on legislators so they can bring pressure on him.  What would move him is if he thought these issues could cost democrat seats which could cost him his majority!
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Is there anything going on with the Senate bill to legalize suppressors?
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Is there anything going on with the Senate bill to legalize suppressors?
View Quote

Not really, hasn't been assigned to a committee that I know of....
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 2:43:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Time to fill out witness slips, everyone! Here's a link to the instructions if you've never done it:  Witness Slip Instructions.

Link to the witness slip itself:  HB433

MAKE SURE YOU CLICK PROPONENT!
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 2:58:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Time to fill out witness slips, everyone! Here's a link to the instructions if you've never done it:  Witness Slip Instructions.

View Quote

Hit!
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#49]
HIT
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Hit!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hit!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top